Author Topic: Klansman sighting that shut down Oberlin campus was student wrapped in a blanket  (Read 1467 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Campus reports of several racist vandalism incidents had sensitivity police on high alert. But actual police came up with a more likely explanation for the Klansman sighting:

Oberlin College’s “Day of Solidarity” on Monday was sparked by a student who reported seeing a person wearing what appeared to be a Ku Klux Klan hood and robe near the college’s Afrikan Heritage House while driving through campus between 1 and 2 a.m.

College security officers responded to the area, but weren’t able to find a person wearing the infamous KKK garb.

Oberlin police Lt. Mike McCloskey said that authorities did find a pedestrian wrapped in a blanket. He said police interviewed another witness later in the day and that person also saw a female walking with a blanket.

He said Oberlin police were contacted by campus security and interviewed the student who reported seeing the KKK outfit.

McCloskey said police haven’t been able to substantiate the initial report, although that doesn’t mean it was wrong.

... school officials might want to take shaky one-witness reports of Klansmen on campus with a grain of salt before canceling a day of class. But, as any sentient being knows post-Duke lacrosse case, college communities are more than happy to jump to conclusions about campus incidents should such incidents be an invitation to ostentatious self-reflection and flagellation. I imagine, even if a student walking around with a blanket had figured out she might have been the subject of this campus-wide misunderstanding, she’d be petrified to come forward and clear it up. How quickly would she become known solely as the girl who wore a Klan robe outside the Afrikan cultural center, with little regard for what actually happened?

Idiots.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Just for the sake of argument, supposed it was a KKK hood.

Does certain garb now qualify one for police intervention and arrest?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
People are stark-raving brainless fracking fools. . .

The future of a nation populated thusly is inescapable and eminently painful. . .
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
God help us if the guy was packing either a Hello Kitty Assault Bubble Blower or a half eaten pop tart.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Apparently it does because raaaacissss.  And certain legal license plates which require "official" attention, and bumper stickers and t-shirts with offensive anything on 'em, and ............

One of the commenters to that piece noted that some idiot apparently mistook "the walk of shame" (girl wrapped in a blanket) for something more sinister.  I know what the phrase means; how many of you do as well?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
God help us if the guy was packing either a Hello Kitty Assault Bubble Blower or a half eaten pop tart.

::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Apparently it does because raaaacissss.  And certain legal license plates which require "official" attention, and bumper stickers and t-shirts with offensive anything on 'em, and ............

One of the commenters to that piece noted that some idiot apparently mistook "the walk of shame" (girl wrapped in a blanket) for something more sinister.  I know what the phrase means; how many of you do as well?

She spent the night exercising her Julia rights with some metrosexual frat boy?  Oh, wait, do we know she was with a guy?   ::saywhat::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Yep, that's it, except as you noted, it can be left at "exercising her Julia rights".  Speculating on which flavor is just being judgmental.   ::)

charlesoakwood

It's not the nature of the evidence
it's the seriousness of the charge.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Yep, that's it, except as you noted, it can be left at "exercising her Julia rights".  Speculating on which flavor is just being judgmental.   ::)

Cue ernest Hollings voice: "Thar's jus' too much judgementalizin' goin' on ought thayar"!

Uhh huh.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

It's not the nature of the evidence
it's the seriousness of the charge.

That mentality just makes me want to go full Ragnar!   ::viking::