Author Topic: Nurse refuses CPR and elderly woman dies....with 911 op begging nurse to help!  (Read 1046 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/911-tape-reveals-dispatcher-cpr-pleas-nurse-article-1.1278682

The fear of law suits is destructive to our society and has apparently cost another life. No lawyer should ever be promoted to a judge. Ever.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Usually you have to go to Education Colleges to find people so rigid to rules, they throw away all common sense.

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
Why would they bother with the expense of having nurses working there if they are not going to help the residents when they need it?  The woman's daughter was okay with how they handled the situation.  When they call it an "independent living" facility, they really mean it.  You are on your own.  I bet the other residents got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside as they watched their friend dying while trained medical personnel did nothing to help.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
The woman's daughter was okay with how they handled the situation.

Why not?  More in the inheritance that wasn't eaten up by nursing home costs.  That's how Americans roll in 2013.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
If the woman's daughter was OK with it... I wonder if the woman had some kind of no-resuscitate clause in her will. Perhaps the "policy" in question is the policy to abide by the patient's wishes in that regard?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, wondering aloud how an absurdity such as a nurse prohibited by policy from administering CPR could even exist. If the woman and her family wanted her to be resuscitated and the medical staff refused, then this is an outrage.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
The article said the woman did not have a DNR request in place. It sounds like it was just rank legalism and lawyer-ese. Personally I don't know how anyone could stand around and watch someone literally die right in front of you, the rules be damned.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
The woman's daughter was okay with how they handled the situation.

Why not?  More in the inheritance that wasn't eaten up by nursing home costs.  That's how Americans roll in 2013.

I wouldnt doubt it one bit. I had a grandmother die a few years back and she had a habit of hiding 50 and 100 dollar bills in her books. It was no secret, ( except my moms sister, she thought no one else knew) and she was adament she get her collection of books. Now, reading was not on her "to do" list, so we all knew why she wanted the books.

Money does funny things to people.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
I'm going through this right now....

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The article said the woman did not have a DNR request in place. It sounds like it was just rank legalism and lawyer-ese. Personally I don't know how anyone could stand around and watch someone literally die right in front of you, the rules be damned.

The family still has a case if they want one, they could successfully argue that the name "Glenwood Gardens retirement home" is a misnomer due to the legal opinion of the institution, they should be forced to change their name to "Glenwood Gardens - A swell place to die".

And you got that right about money doing things to people Don, I've seen it more than once.  And sadly, you are probably right about the heirs.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
I'm going through this right now....

Really?  Sorry to hear that, prayers coming your way.   ::praying::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
Thanks. I don't need prayers - I need the patience of Job to put up with venal, grubbing snakes.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero

The family still has a case if they want one, they could successfully argue that the name "Glenwood Gardens retirement home" is a misnomer due to the legal opinion of the institution, they should be forced to change their name to "Glenwood Gardens - A swell place to die".

And you got that right about money doing things to people Don, I've seen it more than once.  And sadly, you are probably right about the heirs.

Imagine for a moment being one of the remaining inmates, er patrons.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!

Some people are apparently Human In Name Only (HINO -- add that to RINO and AINO).  Being an EMT for the fire department, my dad went to thousands of medical calls during his career and he said one of the ones he can't forget is where a man had died of a heart attack. When they arrived at the residence, the man's adult son was on the phone with his lawyer about starting the estate proceedings, literally stepping over the body of his father while on the phone.

I don't know what I feel more for those people, contempt or pity.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Thanks. I don't need prayers - I need the patience of Job to put up with venal, grubbing snakes.

I'm sensing that your patience is not infinite.  I know mine would not be.  No doubt in similar circumstances I might be given a paid vacation to stay away.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

If ambulatory I'd be making a break for it, I would rather die on the street a free man than in that cursed building!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Some people are apparently Human In Name Only (HINO -- add that to RINO and AINO).  Being an EMT for the fire department, my dad went to thousands of medical calls during his career and he said one of the ones he can't forget is where a man had died of a heart attack. When they arrived at the residence, the man's adult son was on the phone with his lawyer about starting the estate proceedings, literally stepping over the body of his father while on the phone.

I would go with contempt.  No doubt a person such as you describe has other feral HINOs in their clan, they'll get the same consideration.  A whole clan of HINOs, and there are lots of 'em out there.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars

If ambulatory I'd be making a break for it, I would rather die on the street a free man than in that cursed building!

At least on the streets, someone may attempt to save your life.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC

I would go with contempt.  No doubt a person such as you describe has other feral HINOs in their clan, they'll get the same consideration.  A whole clan of HINOs, and there are lots of 'em out there.

There is no cure for a rabid dog. It does not matter how much you once loved it. That beloved creature is no longer there. It has no mercy, no kindness, no love, and cannot be allowed to exist. It must be dispatched forthwith. And afterwards, one can mourn, not the rabid creature it had become, but the creature it once was, created by God, filled with the love of mankind, and given as a gift from our Creator. We should act as gifts of the Creator to one another, and not as rabid dogs, lest someone see us as such and treat us as such. Better to lose all we have doing what is right, than fearing lawyers more than God and refusing to protect life.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ