Author Topic: Fish Fever  (Read 886 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Fish Fever
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
I am getting an early jump on getting ready for the emergence from winter and the start open water fishing season.  Been watching a lot of fishing shows on TV, couple about the Flowage in WI, haven't been there in years, a true multi-species buffet, I might have to take some time off this spring and get up there.  Went to Fleet Farm yesterday but as usual I jumped the gun, new lure lines not in yet, another 2-3 weeks and I can restock the tackle box.  Thinking about seeing if I can get my hands on a used fishing boat somewhere, nothing fancy, just something I can use to hit more lakes.  Seeing guys haul fat bucketmouths out of the water is making me crazy!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Fish Fever
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
Do something just for fun? Is that still allowed?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
My friend, you have no idea.

Last Monday was my fishing league's annual banquet, which is the kick-off for the season. We have a dinner and drinks, yuck it up, and do drawings and door prizes that are donated by local sporting goods retailers and restaurants. I won the grand prize - a beautiful 6'2" medium action lightning fast tip graphite walleye rod, perfect for jigging. Holding that in my hands was like a drug. The very last thing I need is a new rod (my collection is now over 30), but a new one for me is like a new pair of shoes for a woman. I can never have too many.

I'm bit.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Heh, I could have had that many sticks if I kept 'em all, but after wear & tear, nephews, trades etc I got rid of a lot.  But if I get a boat that number will double overnight, I just know it!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
I have the disease too, though my symptoms took the saltwater form. I will soon begin the annual ritual of tying line to my bedroom door knob so I can practice various line to line knots. I have previously mastered a flawless execution of the Albright knot, but I have to relearn it every season. It's challenging enough to do indoors, I don't know how the pros manage to tie them on a boat in 8 foot seas.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist so I usually stick with monofilament, 8 or 10 pound main line joined to 20 pound shock leader.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
My friend, you have no idea.

Last Monday was my fishing league's annual banquet, which is the kick-off for the season. We have a dinner and drinks, yuck it up, and do drawings and door prizes that are donated by local sporting goods retailers and restaurants. I won the grand prize - a beautiful 6'2" medium action lightning fast tip graphite walleye rod, perfect for jigging. Holding that in my hands was like a drug. The very last thing I need is a new rod (my collection is now over 30), but a new one for me is like a new pair of shoes for a woman. I can never have too many.

I'm bit.

LOL.....I bought two new rods and a reel this year. Not a need item but a want item. My first tournament is march 22nd and 23rd. it is my release and I need it more than ever today.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
Good luck, Don!   ::cool::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »
...My first tournament is march 22nd and 23rd...

Before Global Warming, Minnesotans could expect a high probability of lingering ice on March 22nd. But now, since the polar ice caps melt every winter and the earth is becoming uninhabitable for everyone except rich White folk, open water because Global Warming. Not.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »

Before Global Warming, Minnesotans could expect a high probability of lingering ice on March 22nd. But now, since the polar ice caps melt every winter and the earth is becoming uninhabitable for everyone except rich White folk, open water because Global Warming. Not.

The fact that I understood that has me concerned.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »

The fact that I understood that has me concerned.

;D

- Thomas Jefferson