Author Topic: Injuries on USS Stennis  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Injuries on USS Stennis
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:32 AM »
Not sure if the engine was fodded or had other issues...but they typically run up full to test all systems prior to launch, so better to find a problem on deck than in the air.  Fortunately all injuries are being treated and are not life threatening.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/31/10-injured-aboard-carrier-san-diego/?test=latestnews#

We used to refer to flight op's as "organized chaos", there is a lot of stuff going on topside, a lot of people and equipment to watch out for and a lot of signals to recognize when flashed, and the yellow shirts have top billing.

No doubt the safety standdown process will hone the lessons learned from this event.

Glad all are well.

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Injuries on USS Stennis
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
Quick action and Teamwork . GO NAVY !   ::USA::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
Sounds like the 4 that were flown to the hospital in serious condition is the worst of it.

::praying:: ::USA:: ::praying:: ::USA:: ::praying:: ::USA:: ::praying::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
Bad stuff can happen at any time.  I remember on one of my cruises when a A-6 on approach was too late in seeing the wave off due to a F-14 on taxi to the fantail and to avoid the A-6 in his lap they hit AB and shot off the fantail and ejected...A-6 pulled up in time, but the jet-blast from the tomcat shot guys along the deck like toy soldiers and one died a gruesome death when damn near cut in half by the landing cable.  Fortunately I didn't see it, and the CCTV feeds were cut preventing any more viewing, but I remember a ruckuss in my berthing space that was part of the emergency route going to the nearest OR space when they brought guys through in a hurry.  You don't expect something like that but your head has to be on a swivel up there or you will get bit.  I think he was the only fatality, which is bad enough, but it could have been much worse.  Glad nobody died in this instance on the Stennis!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:38 AM »
Not having been Navy I'm not hip to all the nuts and bolts of that branch . But I've always thought that had I gone Navy instead of Army  carrier duty would have been my choice . What was it like ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:39 AM »
12 on 12 off 4 hour watch every 4th day...long days of flight op's from morning till evening...sore ankles from tripping over tie down chains...scabby shins from banging into knee-knockers (hatch accessways)...dirt, grime, smells of JP5 and hydraulic fluid everywhere...JP5 would leak into freshwater supply sometimes so taking showers meant rinsing soap off was impossible (to avoid dry soap-flaked skin I found shampoo was better to rinse off)...

I worked nights so my morning was a light breakfast of whatever I could find, lunch was MidRats (breakfast fare) and dinner was breakfast.  Since I loved breakfast that was cool.  Work itself was not difficult, just tedious.  Lots of paperwork, helping pull jet engines and draining lines, fod walkdowns, standing watches, scrounging for parts (That was my favorite task! The squadron storekeeper and I were good little thieves!), get loaned out for TAD (temp duty) to another department and getting assigned to working parties loading supplies while underway in port.  

And it is amazing what a human can get used to.  I had one berthing space right under the #2 trap wire.  All you would hear is an eerie wind/engine whistling sound, then a loud clank as the tailhook hit the deck and a bang as the wheels hit, immediately followed by a shrieking whine as the cable ran out and applied its resistance to stop the plane, which was roaring like a caged beast at full-throtle should he have missed the wire.  Then the plane would taxi off while the wire creaked, scraped and groaned its way back into place.  Repeat every 2-3 minutes, all day long.  I got used to the rhythm and would only awake to the sound of my small alarm clock.

Long tedious days at sea that blended one into another.  Read a ton of books when I had down time, played backgammon, listened to shortwave radios and some guys had a betamax to watch flicks on or you just caught something on the ships CCTV (a rare movie, Victory at Sea, etc).  Most of us smoked like demons so most spaces were choked with smoke.  One of our Senior Chiefs liked cigars and jalapenos as much as I.  I would buy the stogies, he would get jars of pickled jalapenos sent to him.  People in our little work space would haul ass as soon as they saw us break out our goodies, but we were in heaven.  If there wasn't any night op's I was one of the few who would jog the outer edge of the flight deck, and then rest with my feet dangling over the bow...watching the stars...the porpoise...the flying fish...whatever was about.

But then there was hitting port...but that is another story!  (Let's keep this PG for now!)   ;D

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
I had the complete collection of "Victory At Sea" which my late Father would watch for hours on end . He was aboard an APA during the Okinawa Invasion . One of my very favorite movies is "Task Force" with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan . It dealt with the developement of Naval Air Power and carriers . I'm sure you've seen it .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:57 AM »
I have the complete Victory at Sea collection, and to this day I cannot resist catching a good old war flick when they come on.  Been a while now since I've seen anything though.  In Harm's Way might have been the last one if I recall correctly.  Task Force had Wlater Brennan in it too.