Author Topic: DoJ exonerates itself in the New Black Panthers voter intimidation case  (Read 1039 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Now the question is, does the GOP accept this at face value, or up the ante. There shouldn't be a question.

Justice Department exonerates itself in the New Black Panthers case

The Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) has concluded an investigation finding that politics played no role in the handling of the New Black Panther Party case, which sparked a racially charged political fight.

After reviewing thousands of pages of internal e-mails and notes and conducting 44 interviews with department staff members, the OPR reported that “department attorneys did not commit professional misconduct or exercise poor judgment” and that the voter-intimidation case against the Panthers was dismissed on “a good faith assessment of the law” and “not influenced by the race of the defendants.”

The OPR’s findings were released in a letter Tuesday to Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tex.) that was signed by department attorney Robin Ashton.

The probe was an outgrowth of a political controversy over a 2008 voter-intimidation case against members of the New Black Panther Party. Some conservative lawyers, politicians and commentators have said that the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division improperly narrowed that case — part of broader allegations among conservatives that the Obama Justice Department has failed to protect the civil rights of white voters. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and other Justice officials have strongly denied the charge.

In a statement, Smith, who chairs the House Judiciary Committee and is expected to hold hearings on whether the department is politicized, said the review — which was limited to the actions of attorneys in the case — “did not address the Civil Rights Division’s misguided policy of using racial considerations when determining whether to enforce voting rights laws. The Division should protect the voting rights of all Americans, regardless of race, gender, religion or political affiliation.”

Michael Yaki, a liberal member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, disagreed. The department was “vindicated” by the report, he said. “There was no evidence of racial bias in the decision making of the Justice Department under Attorney General Holder.”

An investigation by Justice’s inspector general is ongoing.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
I suppose when you "own the football" you can make up your own rules or change them as the need arises .   ::gaah::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Reminiscing when the UN decided to investigate itself for fraud and abuse and found everything to be in order.

Move along white devils, I dun sed be mov'in along or I'z gonna kick yo f'ing azz.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
What a load of scat!

This Robin, this Michael Yeti and batgirl Erica all need to be tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail!

::cussing:: racist pigs!

::gaah::

Now, watch the GOP wilt like rotting vegetation!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Michael Yaki, a liberal member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, disagreed. The department was “vindicated” by the report, he said. “There was no evidence of racial bias in the decision making of the Justice Department under Attorney General Holder.”

O rly?  All the relevant evidence resides in the video-taped "New" Black Panther pieces of racist detritus in front of the polling place.  The rest is just words.

WTF do they think they're fooling?!  ::laserkill::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
I exonerate myself of any wrong doing ahead of time when I pull NBP tactics next election!

Effer's!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.