Author Topic: Dems plot to shamelessly use Gabrielle Giffords' shooting for gain  (Read 2003 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
If it comes to this, hopefully the good people of Arizona will see through this debased attempt to elevate a shooting victim to automatic sainthood worthy of perpetual public office. I think if they can duct tape her to a pole and wheel her into congress on a two-wheel cart, they'll do it. They want their living martyr in the worst way.

If this is the new Democrat template for electoral victory, perhaps getting shot in the head will be their new version of kissing babies on the campaign trail? One could hope, couldn't one.

Dems plot to shamelessly use Gabrielle Giffords' shooting for political gain

TUCSON — Representative Gabrielle Giffords is still in the hospital, but some of her most ardent backers are so enamored of the idea of her running for the Senate that they describe the inevitable campaign commercials: the deep-voiced narrator recounting what happened to her, the images of her wounded, then recovering and speaking into the camera alongside her astronaut husband to call on Arizonans to unite.

These supporters say they do not want to get too far ahead of themselves, and make clear that Ms. Giffords, who was shot in the head, is still relearning basic tasks and might emerge from the hospital with neither the same political abilities nor aspirations that she had before. And publicly, her closest aides say the only thing they care about is her health.

“Our focus is on her recovery and what comes after that comes after that,” said Pia Carusone, Ms. Giffords’s chief of staff.

Despite such protestations, several of Ms. Giffords’s longtime aides are whispering behind the scenes that she just might recover in time to run for the seat that Senator Jon Kyl, a Republican, is vacating next year.

While it might be wishful thinking, Ms. Giffords’s noncampaign is already having a major effect on Arizona politics; other prospective Democratic candidates say they feel compelled not to jump in unless she bows out, allowing Republicans to get a head start organizing their campaigns.

“I’m in but only if she’s not,” said one prospective Democratic candidate, who spoke of his deliberations but insisted that he not be named given the fluid nature of the race. “A Democrat running against her would be doomed.”

Ever so quietly, Ms. Giffords’s political allies are laying the groundwork just in case. Friends and allies held a fund-raiser for her on March 15 in Washington — trying to supplement her Congressional campaign war chest, which totaled about $285,000 at year’s end and could be tapped for a Senate bid. Her former campaign manager, Rodd McLeod, has been brought on staff, to fill in for an aide who is also recovering from the Jan. 8 shooting that left 6 people dead and 13 injured.

While these efforts might be normal for a member of Congress in a competitive district like hers, other Democrats see them as signs that those around her want to keep her political options open.

Ms. Giffords herself is not available to raise her own profile, so her Congressional staff does it for her, responding to constituents, issuing news releases and appearing at public events in her stead. Ms. Carusone said she expected Ms. Giffords to appear in Florida next month when her husband, Capt. Mark E. Kelly, lifted off for a two-week space shuttle mission.

A Democrat in her third term, Ms. Giffords had expressed interest in running for the Senate before a gunman opened fire at one of her signature “Congress on Your Corner” events here. Ms. Carusone said she informed her boss after Mr. Kyl announced his retirement and told her that her name had come up as a potential replacement. The response, Ms. Carusone said, was a smile.

With a question mark beside her name in the Senate race, other Democratic hopefuls are working behind the scenes as carefully as they can, lining up support in case Ms. Giffords decides to stay out while taking care not to appear disrespectful to the candidate that the Democratic establishment here believes would have the best chance of winning.... [Read; the head-shot candidate the Democrat establishment believes they can use most effectively to garner the sympathy vote. ed.]

<snip>

...Ms. Giffords would be the instant front-runner should she fully recover, say political consultants from both parties, who admit they are at a loss as to whether the positive but vague progress reports offered by doctors mean she will ever be her old self. Doctors at TIRR Memorial Hermann, the rehabilitation hospital where Ms. Giffords is undergoing treatment, refer questions on her condition to her Congressional staff.

A Blue Dog Democrat who regularly bucked her own party, Ms. Giffords has a track record of winning over independent and Republican voters. On top of that, she was a proven fund-raiser. With the national profile she has developed since the shooting, there is confidence in her camp that checks would flow into her coffers in sizable stacks.

“We could do no better for a candidate,” said Terry Goddard, a Democrat who lost a bid for governor last year. “She’s beyond partisanship.”

Dennis DeConcini, a Democratic senator from 1977 to 1995, agreed that Ms. Giffords would be the consensus Democrat if she ran and that her race would become a national contest given the closely divided Senate. “As long as she was able, she’d stand a very good chance,” he said.

She would no doubt benefit from sympathy she would receive as one of 19 people shot that morning. Political analysts in both parties say her rivals would face the difficult task of campaigning against her without appearing too hard-edged...

More @ NYT....
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Dems plot to shamelessly use Gabrielle Giffords' shooting for gain
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
Another confirmation of our belief in the utter shamelessness of our cycnical partisan opponents.

The phrase "stooping to low" is as alien a concept to them now as it was when they first started ozzing out of the woodwork decades ago...

If they think she will be insulated from attacks based upon concerns of her fitness for office, they will be sorely mistaken.

I'd love to see a preemptive emotion-based commercial assualt should she in fact be used in this manner, attacking the cynical nature of her handlers and the souless demonrats everywhere who are proping this woman up for partisan political gain, without regard of her fitness for office and with the knowledge that her assailant was a leftnut psycho!

But I am fully prepared for the GOP to wet themselves in fear and let it all happen as the left has it scripted...

::unknowncomic::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Hell ... The whole Senate seems populated by people who've been shot in the head ... we don't need the real thing !  ::stirpot::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »
Shameless....

But the only way to know if this is a shameless attempt to use her injury as a wedge in an election is for her recovery to only take place in the right side of her brain.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »

I'd much sooner see her run for the Senate than see her wheeled out, as they did Brady the other day, in proposition of newer improved gun legislation.  They have shamelessly taken advantage of that poor man too long.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
Their lust for power has no limits.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
It will probably work with the roughly 50% of voters who seem to be governed by emotion rather than reason.

The only question is whether that population is over or under 50%.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
“We could do no better for a candidate,” said Terry Goddard, a Democrat who lost a bid for governor last year. “She’s beyond partisanship.

That is the most important thing to trash, too big of collective cowards to say what they themselves believe in.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:06:38 AM »
“We could do no better for a candidate,” said Terry Goddard, a Democrat who lost a bid for governor last year. “She’s beyond partisanship.

That is the most important thing to trash, too big of collective cowards to say what they themselves believe in.

No doubt. He could have just as easily said... “We could do no better for a candidate,” said Terry Goddard, a Democrat who lost a bid for governor last year. “I mean, c'mon... she got shot in the freakin' head! Can you imagine how many different ways we can play that to our advantage?"

It would've been more accurate.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »
  I can see it nowIf you think I'm voting for her "YOU MUST HAVE A HOLE IN YOUR HEAD"
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
 ::speechless::

Tone!  Tone!

::hysterical::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »
She will undoubtedly still be more articulate than Barney Frank.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
  I can see it nowIf you think I'm voting for her "YOU MUST HAVE A HOLE IN YOUR HEAD"

Now that's funny - I don't care who you are  :P

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »

That's because Barney Frank doesn't have a hole in his head. He has a head in his hole.
 ::exitstageleft::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »

And cleaner too!

:P

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »

And cleaner too!

And she's still got teeth!Barney wore his out somehow. ::whatgives::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »

And cleaner too!

And she's still got teeth!Barney wore his out somehow. ::whatgives::

That saying "candy is dandy but sex won't rot your teeth" must only apply to heterosexuals!

::laughonfloor::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

That's because Barney Frank doesn't have a hole in his head. He has a head in his hole.
 ::exitstageleft::

::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.