Author Topic: Do Atheists Really Believe In God?  (Read 938 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Do Atheists Really Believe In God?
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Interesting (and short) read in the realm of science, albeit inconclusive.

...Now consider this statement: “I dare God to make my home catch fire.”
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Do Atheists Really Believe In God?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
Interesting (and short) read in the realm of science, albeit inconclusive.

...Now consider this statement: “I dare God to make my home catch fire.”

I also wish they would have asked about the "Golden Magic Squirrel"
Just because you are an atheist doesn't mean you are immoral.  You can follow the principles of behavior laid down by Christ because you think they are pretty good ideas,  even if you don't believe them to be of divine origin. Getting "worked up" may simply be a function of wishing ill onto yourself or others - which any moral person wouldn't want to do.. and it doesn't need to come from a "fear of God" - but perhaps a fear of your own conscience, or simply a desire to be perceived by others as  a "nice guy"
We know liberals are particularly needy in that last regard - so will probably have a "reaction" based simply on that. Its not that they  fear  the Golden Magic Squirrel will actually grant their wish,  but the fear that wishing it may do harm to other's opinions of them.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
I also wish they would have asked about the "Golden Magic Squirrel"...

You, me, and the author of the article are in agreement. I found it an interesting thing to contemplate, but it does seem that including something like the Golden Magic Squirrel in their study would have offered more evidence one way or the other for a narrower conclusion.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
"What, you mean I'm reduced to doing circus tricks?" - God

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
We've all had these discussions many times before, morality (knowing basic right from wrong) everybody has (regardless if they acknowledge it or ignore it), belief in God provides an additional moral anchor for believers.

That question is not unlike the stupid Commie test with the flower left to live or die on its own in a room without its normal support system in place that is present in its natural habitat.

God does not grant frivolous favors, nor perhaps does he even bother acknowledging their existence, and the answers he does give we may not like, but they serve a higher purpose that may not be revealed until we are ready to see it.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
The unbelievers house WILL burn down.....Just not on thier timetable.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
The unbelievers house WILL burn down.....Just not on thier timetable.

Amen!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"