Author Topic: MTM selling container for underground ammo storage  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
MTM selling container for underground ammo storage
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
I came across an ad for this the other day: http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/survivorammocan.php

The "prepper" market has been going gangbusters for the last several years, but products like the above are taking it to an even more overt level. What I find significant about it is that I take it as a sign of where the country's mood really is. It used to be that even the survival-oriented industries weren't so alarmist. People just instinctively know that we're in big trouble.  There are similar products, for example Fiocchi is selling ammo in hermetically sealed cans just like a can of peanuts.

As for the ammo burial container, it seems pretty nice but honestly I think you'd be just as well served for a lot less money by taking a small section of large diameter PVC pipe and cementing caps on the ends. You can even get screw-on caps with gaskets. But I always get back to the adage that if it's time to bury your guns then it's time to use them.

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: MTM selling container for underground ammo storage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
But I always get back to the adage that if it's time to bury your guns then it's time to use them.

Yeah, but if you are in the situation where you need to bury a Cache on the way to the bugout location, I could see osmething like this being useful - be it DYI,or store bought. You cache food, water, fuel and ammo along the way, that way you know if you reach the next cache you can be resupplied of whatever you are low on.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »

Read an article, no link, about a fellow who buried some valuables
a couple of times.  Once using PVC and the second time using a box
type storage container purchased at a sporting goods store.  Both
techniques worked well.  The containers were buried for five and ten
years each.  His problem ... finding them... once close to a week the
other two days.  Yes, the area was well surveyed before planting. --
Things change.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:02 AM »
Another reason to pick up a decent metal detector, minds fade, metals signature doesn't.   ;)

I like the cache idea simply as an option at the lake, the main issue I see though is extraction during the cold months, the ground freezes up here, thankfully our soil is somewhat sandy and we have sand aplenty on the beach, I would layer mostly sand above the cache so extraction is easier.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
Another option would be to mount it up in a tree, if frozen ground is likely to be a problem.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

Yeah, that article stressed burying below the frost line.
Said Wisconsin, in places, had a 4' frost line, wow.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »
Another reason to pick up a decent metal detector, minds fade, metals signature doesn't.   ;)

I like the cache idea simply as an option at the lake, the main issue I see though is extraction during the cold months, the ground freezes up here, thankfully our soil is somewhat sandy and we have sand aplenty on the beach, I would layer mostly sand above the cache so extraction is easier.

If it is the same article I read that CO read, there is mention of using a detector to retrieve the package and that others might be inclined to "treasure hunt" that same package. So an effective subterfuge is to bury the goods at (say) 4 feet, and then lay down a similar outline of scrap metal at 3 feet. Anyone who might pass a detector over the area and receive a blip would dig down only to discover the scrap.