Author Topic: Commander Of U.S. Pacific Forces Says Global Warming Is Our Top Threat…  (Read 1773 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Navy Admiral Samuel J. Locklear III, in an interview at a Cambridge hotel Friday after he met with scholars at Harvard and Tufts universities ...

... said significant upheaval related to the warming planet “is probably the most likely thing that is going to happen . . . that will cripple the security environment, probably more likely than the other scenarios we all often talk about.’’

“People are surprised sometimes,” he added, describing the reaction to his assessment. “You have the real potential here in the not-too-distant future of nations displaced by rising sea level. Certainly weather patterns are more severe than they have been in the past. We are on super typhoon 27 or 28 this year in the Western Pacific. The average is about 17.”

Locklear said his Hawaii-based headquarters — which is assigned more than 400,00 military and civilian personnel and is responsible for operations from California to India, is working with Asian nations to stockpile supplies in strategic locations and planning a major exercise for May with nearly two dozen countries to practice the “what-ifs.”

Fer crissake ......  We're surrounded by idiots, lunatics and maroons .... and they're "in charge".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
What can you really do when truth is no ally, facts no defense?  When "Actually, no they aren't" is an insufficient retort to "Certainly weather patterns are more severe than they have been in the past"?

All they do is repeat the original claim, a bit louder, maybe have the echo chamber snicker a bit. There hasn't even been any warming since 1997. Medieval records mention incidents that were almost certainly hurricanes curling back out into the Atlantic and making it all the way to Europe. The remnants of one even crossed southern Spain into the Mediterranean Sea and caused flooding. Such events are highly unusual, but nevertheless happened long before anyone put any CO2 into the air.

Morons. I've got morons on my team
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

"to stockpile supplies in strategic locations"

Is not the US Armed Forces the center of stockpile city?
These general officers aren't stupid and can't be this
idiotic.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders

"to stockpile supplies in strategic locations"

Is not the US Armed Forces the center of stockpile city?
These general officers aren't stupid and can't be this
idiotic.

Ain't it curious?

They "stockpile" and it is said that they are deliberative and prudent. We stockpile and they call us hoarders and preppers and militias.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Do as they do, not as they say.

As for Admiral Dumbass...he sounds like one of those snot-nosed libiot college pussy JO's (Jr Officers) I knew back in the day that thought they had all the answers...

::mooning::   ::doublebird::

Definitely a purely politically advanced jackass, we better hope if war breaks out in the Pacific this asshat has lots of help or all our capital ships will hit the ocean floor on day 1!

::)

::outrage::

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
I don't think  ::gaah::  covers it. ::bashing:: maybe.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
I know if I was CiC this guy would get this -  ::asskicking::

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Do as they do, not as they say.

As for Admiral Dumbass...he sounds like one of those snot-nosed libiot college pussy JO's (Jr Officers) I knew back in the day that thought they had all the answers...

::mooning::   ::doublebird::

Definitely a purely politically advanced jackass, we better hope if war breaks out in the Pacific this asshat has lots of help or all our capital ships will hit the ocean floor on day 1!

::)

::outrage::

::gaah::

Came up as a JO under the influence of Jimmy Carter and his douche bag , whack-job buddy , Stansfield Turner .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
That's about it SH.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
The only global warming which may destroy the planet is the warming from all the nukes rogue nations are developing.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

My understanding is that if a nuke is nuked it is vaporized.
Is that accurate or was I in my cups?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
It is probably highly improbable that a nuke would hit a nuke dead on, and even if it did I am not sure that would trigger another explosion ), I think all it would do is add to the radioactive fallout.

charlesoakwood

So, the overriding reticence is that it's morally offensive.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
It is probably highly improbable that a nuke would hit a nuke dead on, and even if it did I am not sure that would trigger another explosion ), I think all it would do is add to the radioactive fallout.

Yea, it's my understanding that they have a timing mechanism that actually starts the chain reaction - not an impact trigger. The bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were detonated before they hit the ground. So if two missiles hit (or one missile intercepted the bomb) you likely would forestall the nuclear detonation but the impact would still likely release radiation.

Or I could be talking entirely out of my butt...  ::laughonfloor::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
I think even your butt is right on this.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars

Yea, it's my understanding that they have a timing mechanism that actually starts the chain reaction - not an impact trigger. The bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were detonated before they hit the ground. So if two missiles hit (or one missile intercepted the bomb) you likely would forestall the nuclear detonation but the impact would still likely release radiation.

Being a former B-52 Combat Crew Member, I can tell you that any nuke in the blast zone of another will not detonate.  The second nuke will be essentially vaporized.  There will be additional radioactive material released, so the radiation effect is increased but there is no atomic blast.  Of course that all depends on the proximity of the second nuke.  We had missions where we would be delivering the first bomb on a multi-targeted site and the follow-on warheads were usually scheduled to arrive 15-20 minutes after the first detonation.  When we saw targets of opportunity we would need to confirm with command that there was not another warhead already targeting that location and if so were we within a particular timing window.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero

Actually it would depend on a lot of factors

H-Bombs actually work because of plastic- the plastic has a matrix of Hydrogen atoms built into it, and it absorbs the radiation from the fission explosion used as the trigger ( due to how E&M waves like to hop from atom, be absorbed and then re-emit)  this superheats the plastic fast enough that it starts the Hydrogen Fusion process before the whole structure is destroyed by the Fission explosion. The Fusion of Hydrogen into helium releases a massive amount of energy as radiation (heat, light, gamma and sub atomic particles)

If another H-Bomb were to get enough radiation from the first explosion, then the Hydrogen matrix could  also become superheated and detonate. Since air blast waves take a while to propagate, and radiation does not in comparison,  its entirely possible that this COULD happen, though I suspect most war heads are heavily shielded to prevent that - as well as protect those that work around them

The Fission explosions used as triggers for H-bombs  are caused by critical mass- where Neutrons "collide" with the fissionable atoms, thus releasing more neutrons to "collide" with others atoms in a chain reaction.  It is the energy  released  by the collision  that provides the blast.  The critical mass is achieved either by compressing the material (Fatman and its Plutonium core)  or by simply adding material (Little Boy and U238)  However, a bombardment of Neutrons from another detonation could potentially cause the reaction to start and be self sustaining. Again, perhaps enough to cause the Hydrogen matrix to detonate as well.

They were timed to detonate at altitude because the blast would do more damage that way.  I suspect delaying a launch to an already attacked area by 20 minutes had more to do with air temperature  for flight and radiation  effects on the electronics, than it did with  not wanting to waste munitions by accidental detonations..   

Sidenote: The Littleboy design was "tested" only by literally dropping a core of U238 through a borehole in a stack (or pile)  of U238. Some poor guy would get behind (a very inadequate) lead shield and drop more and more stuff through the pile - measuring radiation levels each time,, till they found "critical mass"  - if the core had gotten stuck, it would have resulted in a Nuclear meltdown and explosion.  They dropped the final device on Hiroshima without ever actually detonating a similar device. The hard part about building a fission bomb is NOT the construction, but getting enough refined fissionable material. Back then they had miles of gas diffusion chambers to separate the U238 isotope from the yellowcake. It took years to get enough material for one bomb.  Now you can duplicate that result with a few years and about $20K worth of laser equipment. The yield of the Hiroshima bomb was less than 1/10 of a percent. The vast majority of the material did not fission.  Yes,  there are better and more complicated designed for obtaining higher yields, but I believe the bang obtained from Littleboy would be enough for most terrorists to be satisfied.
Now start researching Protactinium and see what conclusions you come to.

charlesoakwood

I'll take vaporize for 2 and say
let India nuke Pakistan.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
That exchange is no doubt looming.  I do not see Pakistan as being a stable state, and the one to their west worse so.  Regional disaster is nigh.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero

Actually it would depend on a lot of factors

H-Bombs actually work because of plastic- the plastic has a matrix of Hydrogen atoms built into it, and it absorbs the radiation from the fission explosion used as the trigger ( due to how E&M waves like to hop from atom, be absorbed and then re-emit)  this superheats the plastic fast enough that it starts the Hydrogen Fusion process before the whole structure is destroyed by the Fission explosion. The Fusion of Hydrogen into helium releases a massive amount of energy as radiation (heat, light, gamma and sub atomic particles)

If another H-Bomb were to get enough radiation from the first explosion, then the Hydrogen matrix could  also become superheated and detonate. Since air blast waves take a while to propagate, and radiation does not in comparison,  its entirely possible that this COULD happen, though I suspect most war heads are heavily shielded to prevent that - as well as protect those that work around them

The Fission explosions used as triggers for H-bombs  are caused by critical mass- where Neutrons "collide" with the fissionable atoms, thus releasing more neutrons to "collide" with others atoms in a chain reaction.  It is the energy  released  by the collision  that provides the blast.  The critical mass is achieved either by compressing the material (Fatman and its Plutonium core)  or by simply adding material (Little Boy and U238)  However, a bombardment of Neutrons from another detonation could potentially cause the reaction to start and be self sustaining. Again, perhaps enough to cause the Hydrogen matrix to detonate as well.

They were timed to detonate at altitude because the blast would do more damage that way.  I suspect delaying a launch to an already attacked area by 20 minutes had more to do with air temperature  for flight and radiation  effects on the electronics, than it did with  not wanting to waste munitions by accidental detonations..   

Sidenote: The Littleboy design was "tested" only by literally dropping a core of U238 through a borehole in a stack (or pile)  of U238. Some poor guy would get behind (a very inadequate) lead shield and drop more and more stuff through the pile - measuring radiation levels each time,, till they found "critical mass"  - if the core had gotten stuck, it would have resulted in a Nuclear meltdown and explosion.  They dropped the final device on Hiroshima without ever actually detonating a similar device. The hard part about building a fission bomb is NOT the construction, but getting enough refined fissionable material. Back then they had miles of gas diffusion chambers to separate the U238 isotope from the yellowcake. It took years to get enough material for one bomb.  Now you can duplicate that result with a few years and about $20K worth of laser equipment. The yield of the Hiroshima bomb was less than 1/10 of a percent. The vast majority of the material did not fission.  Yes,  there are better and more complicated designed for obtaining higher yields, but I believe the bang obtained from Littleboy would be enough for most terrorists to be satisfied.
Now start researching Protactinium and see what conclusions you come to.

I believe you're referring to U-235 isotope opposed to the much more common 238. U-235 only composes .7% of all the uranium deposits. You're right about the not fully testing the critical mass bomb core because it took years at ORNL to separate enough for a high concentration. The more efficient and powerful core was the Pu-239 core with was detonated using a shock wave from an explosive that surrounded it. The difficulty was in getting the explosive to detonate at the same time creating that compression wave. Pu-239 was easier to produce as you just had to breed the fuel from the very common U-238. This why there was enough fuel for a second core after the Trinity test. Pu-239 only was safe compared to critical mass U-235 cores because it wasn't subjected the same principles. Pu required more than just weight, it required density and naturally speaking you had to compress it violently to achieve that number sufficient to criticality whereby a chain reaction could be sustained. This is how and why suitcase nukes (75 LB.) are created, using Plutonium. Without that knowledge of implosion, you're nuclear weapons program is timely and expensive.

Sorry about the sidetrack.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.