Author Topic: "Cook it Safe" - a USDA Food Safety ad  (Read 1002 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Cook it Safe" - a USDA Food Safety ad
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: "Cook it Safe" - a USDA Food Safety ad
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
I've been noticing a definitive uptick in all kinds of "PSAs" funded with our tax dollars. Everything from "safe" handling of meat and produce in your kitchen, to "free" forclosure-avoidance assistance, to gubmint mortgage-rate reduction programs, to outright promotion of food welfare starring Matt Damon.

All tout "free government programs".

It is beyond infuriating. It's to the point where my overriding desire is to make them stop it all in whatever way possible.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
How about that lame "so gay" PSA?   ::)

Waste of money, plus, makes me want to say "That's so gay" even more!   ::stirpot::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »

"Gay", it's so in vogue, it's the fad. We're all gay now.
Hedonism, religion of the new America.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
"I firmly believe  if you can't fool all of the people all of the time, you should start breeding them for stupidity" -Weisshaupt ( Cerebus Issue 21)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »

"Gay", it's so in vogue, it's the fad. We're all gay now.
Hedonism, religion of the new America.

I think (they) crossed over from hedonism to pure nihilism a ways back up the trail.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
Where is the feminist attack, after all the girls lost the challenge and appeared stupid.

::exitstageleft::
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
War on wimmens!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
  I blame the parents for not teaching the girls anything about cooking(as if that was cooking)or basic kitchen safety.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 04:51:06 AM »
Okay, this 'cook it safe' campaign is nucking futz.

The "Cook It Safe" campaign encourages cooks of all ages to read and follow all cooking instructions printed on food packages before preparation. To prevent foodborne illness in your home or dorm room, follow the Cook It Safe Taskforce's four basic messages:

• Read and Follow Package Cooking Instructions.
  • Know When to Use a Microwave or Conventional Oven.
  • Know Your Microwave Wattage before Microwaving Food.
  • Always Use a Food Thermometer to Ensure a Safe Internal Temperature

Really?  Follow the package insructions?  Now who woulda thunk that?  Of course, Johnny and Janey have to be able to read in the first place in order to follow package cooking instructions.

Know when to use a micorwave or conventional over?  You mean the package doesn't say that?  Before my microwave broke, I cooked very little meat in the thing, bacon almost exclusively.  Fresh veggies in the microwave required a little more research, as well as trial and error.  You can kill a veggie to mush too easy in a microwave, although I will say that for cooking eggplant, a microwave is faster than an oven and doesn't ruin the eggplant, the same for precooking potatoes for further cooking.  (I haven't had a microwave for years now since mine went tits up and guess what?  I don't miss the damn thing.)

Always use a food thermometer?  Again, really?  You can't tell if something's not hot enough when you bite into it?  Also, the only time I use a thermometer in the kitchen is for frying and for large roasts.  For smaller cuts, like a steak, I use the 'skin between the thumb and forefinger' doneness test:  If, when you push a finger on the meat, and it feels like that part of your hand, it's done.  Old school, but a hell of a lot cheaper.  (School.  There's that word again.)

Living in a college dorm, the only food safety I had to worry about was opening canned meat to put on crackers, cooking popcorn, or heating cans of soup in the bottom of the popcorn popper; no microwaves back in the Pleistocene Age.  So basically, we ate in the dining hall at mealtimes and didn't snack a whole hell of a lot in between (which really is the point when it comes to obesity), except for food that went with >>.  Besides, we didn't have a fridge for food but for beverages -- and not sugery sodas (except for mixers or setups); when I was in college, the beer age was 18 and the liquor age was 21.  (We had some older students in the dorm, Viet Nam Vets, who were good for getting liquor.  Our quarterly grain alcohol parties were widely known and respected; we started mixing 'the recipe' on Wednesday for Friday night to make sure the punch was good and cold.  Of course, nobody really remembered the party, but that's not the point, or maybe it was.  But for us, fridges were for alcohol and related items whch, when you get right down to it, is the only proper use for a fridge in college.)

I blame this whole food safety campaign crap on lack of Home Ec, not too mention that a kid has to be able to read to get the full benefits of cooking, as in following recipes, knowing how much of something something is by weight, and knowing how to follow the instructions for a pan's use and cleanup.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen non-stick ruined by metal utensils (which makes me think of the movie Mommy Dearest, where Joan Crawford's character yells at her daughter, 'NO WIRE HANGERS!'; NO METAL UTENSILS ON A NON-STICK OR CERAMIC GLAZED CAST IRON POT!)

This food safety crap is nanny state stuff.  Because the government has raised a village of idiots, the government now has to spend money it doesn't have to further not educate people on what they didn't learn the first go around.  What rot.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »
No wonder there is so much rampant failure and injury...if you are requiring a bunch of semi-illiterate public school educated half-wits to read instructions...

::unknowncomic::