Author Topic: What are you doing with your 401(k) or IRA?  (Read 2168 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: What are you doing with your 401(k) or IRA?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »

"Hope for the best. Plan for the worst."  Yes.

And, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There's a PM basket, a real property basket, provisions basket, cash basket, there should be a five and six but I don't know what they are.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
If provisions = food & water then 5 could be barter items (booze, TP, etc) and 6 is guns & ammo!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »

That's all under provisions. Provisions would be items one would store up to provide for themselves for one year. Four and five would be things to, say, take the place of the IRA or 401k.  Some other store of value or wealth with potential of increase or keep up with inflation.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
My IRA was liquidated and reinvested and then lost in an unfortunate boating accident.

Stopped contributing to my 401k 2-3 years ago, applying my funds to other stuff, some of which also perished in an unfortunate boating accident.

Dewd!  You need to stay away from the water.  Jus' sayin' .....

/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:12 AM »
My IRA was liquidated and reinvested and then lost in an unfortunate boating accident.

Stopped contributing to my 401k 2-3 years ago, applying my funds to other stuff, some of which also perished in an unfortunate boating accident.

Dewd!  You need to stay away from the water.  Jus' sayin' .....

/

I likes the water!   ;D   ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
I just try to have as many baskets as I can as most is tied up in company ESOP.  I have been able to take about 20% out over time, tax free, and have moved it into various index funds...TIPs, Large Cap High Dividend, Property, Small Cap, and International.  Within the next year or two start investing in the retirement home, over seas, in an area of the world financially managed very well right now, and has a real estate market just starting to take off...and is much warmer than here in March!   ::thumbsup::