Author Topic: We're all 'disabled' now  (Read 1896 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
We're all 'disabled' now
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
Jim Hoft @ gatewaypundit says the executive order instantly reclassifies 44 million people as disabled.
[blockquote]There are 26 million Americans with diabetes.
There are at least 3 million Americans who suffer from epilepsy.
2.3 million Americans suffer from bipolar disorder.
More than 13 million Americans suffer from or have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder.

That’s at least 44 million Americans.

Barack Obama just allowed at least another 44 million Americans to be covered under the Disabilities Act including those Americans with diabetes, epilepsy, bipolar disorder and PTSD. Add that to the current number covered under the act and you have at least 84 million Americans who come under the American Disabilities Act. That’s more than one in four Americans who qualify as being disabled.
FOX News reported:[/blockquote]
New Rules Would Label Millions of American Workers as Disabled

Millions of Americans may be disabled and not even know it, according to some legal experts.

That's because sweeping new regulations from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission offer new guidelines on the issue of how to define "disability" under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The ADA, originally passed in 1990 and updated by Congress in 2008, originally defined disability as "a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity."

When a worker satisfies the definition, employers must provide reasonable accommodations. For years, employers and employees have clashed over who truly qualifies for the sometimes-costly modifications to workplace duties and schedules. Attorney Condon McGlothlen says the new regulations could have a profound impact on that debate.

"Before, perhaps 40 million people were covered by the ADA. That number will increase significantly," McGlothlen told Fox News. "Some people might even say that a majority of Americans are covered as disabled under the law."

EEOC Commissioner Chai Felblum said the agency worked hard to find compromise between the business and disability communities, and she's optimistic the new regulations provide the right balance. "These are workable guidelines that will help people with disabilities, and it will be workable for employers," Feldblum said.

Although the new regulations cannot classify any condition as a disability per se, there is a list of maladies that will be viewed that way "in virtually all cases." The list includes: autism, diabetes, epilepsy and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Overall, lawyers for employers say the regulations shift the burden of proof in disability claims.

They say that employers will now have to show why a worker doesn't require special accommodations, rather than employees proving that the measures are merited.

"It's going to be very difficult for employers to argue in just about any case that an employee is exaggerating their disability or that the person isn't genuinely disabled," McGlothlen said.

While both sides acknowledge it is only a matter of time until a legal challenge to the regulations is filed, Feldblum believes they will provide courts with plenty of clarity. She's also urging employers to stop focusing on defining disability, and spend more time on accommodations.

"I am hopeful that employers will now move to the next question which is, 'How do we make sure our workplace is welcoming to people with a range of health conditions?'" she told Fox News.

Barring congressional intervention, the new regulations will take effect May 24.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: We're all 'disabled' now
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:46:55 AM »
Part of his laser-like focus on job creation.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
Barring congressional intervention, the new regulations will take effect May 24.

::hysterical::

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get right on that for us.

Another reg we'll live with and it will become accepted and no one -- NO ONE -- will question it.

So does this mean every spot at the mall will be marked handicap too?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »
That's because sweeping new regulations from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission...

Why hasn't a bill been indroduced yesterday, to defund this particular group of leftist trash?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
Ruling Class roadblocks MNHawk...stops cowards dead in their tracks!

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
Interesting, particularly in view of "the chances of a child being diagnosed with Autism is now 1 in 10".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
Another opportunity for people to be indebted to the governement and to bring down businesses at the same time. Genius!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
I just found a pimple on my rear end can I get a check? ::popcorn::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
May 24, 2011.....(headline)

Most Americans diaabled

May 25, 2011. (headline)

Barack Obama lowers unemployment to a record 2%.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »

Most Americans diaabled

May 25, 2011. (headline)

Are you saying that the disabled aren't included in unemployment stats???
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »

Most Americans diaabled

May 25, 2011. (headline)

Hunh!  I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps not, if they're "classified" as unable to work?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »

Most Americans diaabled

May 25, 2011. (headline)

Hunh!  I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps not, if they're "classified" as unable to work?

They collect disability for ever.Why would they show up on the unemployment rolls?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »
They draw a check...they are not on the roll.....But I am not 100% sure of this.

Although this would be idiotic to claim....this is the obama administration.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:39:48 PM »
I'm probably disabled and too dumb to know it! :(
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
I'm probably disabled and too dumb to know it! :(

You should get that checked.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
Does that mean I get my own parking space? Oh wait I'm Facilities Management I got my own spot never mind.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
Does that mean I get my own parking space? Oh wait I'm Facilities Management I got my own spot never mind.

::hysterical::
 Filippo Mazzie