Author Topic: Worth knowing about growing your own  (Read 10249 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Worth knowing about growing your own
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Worth knowing about growing your own
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »
We try about half of them at the lake with mixed results - carrots, spuds and lettuce seem to do the best, and we will grow radishes vs turnips and they do well.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »

Turnips: the best part of them is the foliage above the bulb.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
I used to "grow my own" but was always worried about getting busted.

Wait!
That's not what we're talking about here, is it?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
Busted!   ::hysterical::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »

Wait!

::snicker::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
Found this today and thought it might be helpful:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »
That's an interesting chart (I grabbed a copy). Somehow I managed to conform to its logic when I did my planting this year. I certainly didn't set out with that degree of organization in mind!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
That's an interesting chart (I grabbed a copy). Somehow I managed to conform to its logic when I did my planting this year. I certainly didn't set out with that degree of organization in mind!

Yes, it is.  Good, you copied; that's why I posted it.  And congrats on your conformation.   ;D

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
I almost didn't plant this year. Too much going on in the real world and the crappy weather wasn't exactly inspiring either. But one morning I got the bug and picked up starter plants and away I went.

I also planted some apple trees to go with the plum trees. Now I'm an orchardist ;-)

The last couple of years I would plant Marigolds around the veggies - both to attract bees and as sacrificial plants for the slugs. The available plants this year sucked so I procrastinated in the hopes that something better would come along (they didn't). No matter -  a bunch of Nasturtium volunteers have sprouted among the veggies adding the color the garden was missing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
We could definitely use some fruit trees and bushes.  Unfortunately, there are already so many trees, there is no good place for them here.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »

Wait!

Living in Colorado lately the thread title made me think pretty much the same thing.

I am hoping that I don't ever have the need to plant a garden because if I did it would be pretty tough keeping the deer and rabbits away from the thing. But I am planning for that should I have to start a garden.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
I'm doing some container gardening this summer. Still can't convince hubby to let me use a piece of our acre+ for a garden. We do have a lot of trees (very woody area) so there's a lot of shade most days -- those shade tolerant plants I'll keep in mind when I finally get my way.  ;D

And then there's the wildlife -- a fence around the garden would ruin the look of the yard

but
NOBODY'S looking at the yard-- we don't live in a suburban neighborhood.  ::facepalm::

and he doesn't eat vegetables so he doesn't get the point of a garden when I can get them at the store
 ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

so for now the majority of my garden is with a CSA like most of my books are kept at the library on their shelves  :)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
I'm doing some container gardening this summer. Still can't convince hubby to let me use a piece of our acre+ for a garden. We do have a lot of trees (very woody area) so there's a lot of shade most days -- those shade tolerant plants I'll keep in mind when I finally get my way.  ;D

And then there's the wildlife -- a fence around the garden would ruin the look of the yard

but
NOBODY'S looking at the yard-- we don't live in a suburban neighborhood.
  ::facepalm::

and he doesn't eat vegetables so he doesn't get the point of a garden when I can get them at the store
 ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

so for now the majority of my garden is with a CSA like most of my books are kept at the library on their shelves  :)

LOL.  One of our gardens is IN the front yard, in the beds previously used for the ornamentals that the deer would eat every year, AND fenced in at that.  Peppers and eggplants, just like last year.

We duz what we can, LV.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
I will have to print a copy of the chart Pan posted and see if we are breaking any rules at the lake.

My father is trying to be an orchardist too 'Soup, have a few apple trees and next season I think we'll see the pear trees produce.  Our big apple tree was destroyed in the storm 2 summers ago, planted new trees to cover the loss.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »

One of our gardens is IN the front yard,

I think you posted a picture of that last year. 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »

I find myself retreating from the ugliness of the (un)real world more and more lately. I've been playing more music, I've gone back to building cars, and I work the garden. Pounding on tin, pounding on the guitar, and tending to the plants are all therapeutic to me and sure as hell beats sitting at the bar drinking or zoning out on the boob-toob.

Or obsessing about politics I guess   :o

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »

I did. 

Second verse, same as the first .........

Memory like a steel trap, LV.   ;)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »

I did. 

Second verse, same as the first .........

Memory like a steel trap, LV.   ;)

must be why I'm always right  :supercool: