Author Topic: "State Dept Denies Giving Military Training To Syrian Rebels"  (Read 3303 times)

Offline kozanne

• Newb
  • Desert Rat
Nothing to see here, move along folks.....

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/03/27/State-Dept-Denies-Giving-Military-Training-To-Syrian-Rebels

The State Department denied multiple reports of U.S. Special Forces and other military groups training the Syrian Opposition Coalition in Jordan on Tuesday saying that the only training they have given to Syrians has been "non-lethal." State Department Deputy Spokesman Patrick Ventrell said that the United States has only given "food" and "medical training" to the Syrian Coalition and only supports "non-lethal" training. He did add, however, that the United States "won't stand in the way" of other countries arming the Syrian Opposition with "heavy" weapons. When asked specifically about the reports released on Tuesday that detailed military style training by U.S. forces, Ventrell declined to comment saying, "I don’t have anything for you on that."

Transcript:

QUESTION: Patrick, I wondered if you could clarify something in the assistance that you’re providing to Syria, that – the U.S. position is not to provide weapons. What about training for fighters, either military or nonmilitary training for fighters? Is that --

MR. VENTRELL: You know where we are on training on nonlethal assistance. That hasn’t changed. We continue to provide nonlethal assistance to the opposition. In terms of any assistance directly to the SMC, that has been food and medical kits. But I don’t have anything beyond that for you.

QUESTION: Just to follow up his question, Secretary Kerry also made clear that U.S. is not standing in the way for arming the rebels. Are you also okay with others, other allies to support with heavy weapons to rebels?

MR. VENTRELL: I mean, look, we’ve made our decision about our nonlethal assistance. Other countries have made their decisions. We’re not going to parse it.

QUESTION: So heavy weapons are also –

MR. VENTRELL: I mean, again, this is to reaffirm that we think that a political transition is the best way to end this violence, and so that’s what we support and that’s where we’ve long stood.

QUESTION: But isn’t there limits to that policy, that you will not stand in the way of others arming the rebels? Can people send tanks, can they send MANPADS, can they send things that could potentially cause a lot of trouble?

MR. VENTRELL: Look, I mean, in some regards, this is a hypothetical because I don’t think we’re there yet, where that --

QUESTION: Well, it’s your policy. You have a policy statement that you won’t support – that you won’t stand in the way of countries deciding to arm the rebels.

MR. VENTRELL: Look, I think the cart is getting in front of the horse a little bit. That’s not the kind of thing I’ve heard other countries talking about, but – again, Jill, go ahead.

QUESTION: Patrick, there are two reports at least out there that the United States is directly training Syrian opposition fighters in Jordan. I know we’ve kind of been over this, but just to set the record straight, what can you tell us?

MR. VENTRELL: I don’t have anything for you on that. Toria said that before, I’ll say it again; I don’t have anything for you on that.

End article

Why do I not believe this?    ::)
Remember — they’re spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt because they need to. Don’t be fooled.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: "State Dept Denies Giving Military Training To Syrian Rebels"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
They now lie with impunity, emboldened by a media that refuses to hold them accountable. The regime knows that so long as the media doesn't create a "scandal" (think abu ghraib on the front page for months), getting busted lying - even about the deaths of Americans - will be drowned in an ocean of information overload; scuttled by the very media that is constitutionally mandated to hold them accountable to the citizenry.

If it was just weapons-running it would be one thing. But I think that the massacre at the facility in Benghazi was directly related to the weapons-running. Compound that with the fact that the Syrian "rebels" are Islamists - same as they were in Egypt - and what we have is the murder of Americans during an illegal arms transfer to radical Islamists.

95% of the media needs to swing by the neck. Without facilitation of the media, this illegitimate regime would have a much harder time ruining the country and destroying our national security.

ETA: for more context, we have a discussion going HERE re; the prospect of the Benghazi massacre being tied to illegal arms-running to the Syrians through the state department.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:19:26 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline kozanne

• Newb
  • Desert Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »
What worries me the most is that Benghazi is going to get buried underneath some shiny object put in front of the public by this regime.   As much as I dislike his politics, at least Lindsey Graham is pushing this issue.   I call his office often, just to leave a message to KEEP IT IN FRONT OF US.
Remember — they’re spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt because they need to. Don’t be fooled.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
"I don’t have anything for you on that."

I wonder how well that would work on my new boss...

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
What worries me the most is that Benghazi is going to get buried underneath some shiny object put in front of the public by this regime.   As much as I dislike his politics, at least Lindsey Graham is pushing this issue.   I call his office often, just to leave a message to KEEP IT IN FRONT OF US.

I appreciate your continued efforts. "my" senators are cantwell and murray - AKA Dumb and Dumber. I had more productive conversations with my cat.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

If you owned your boss it would be OK.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
What worries me the most is that Benghazi is going to get buried underneath some shiny object put in front of the public by this regime.   As much as I dislike his politics, at least Lindsey Graham is pushing this issue.   I call his office often, just to leave a message to KEEP IT IN FRONT OF US.

When Miss Lindsey decides to sink his teeth in he can be quite formidable. If only he wouldn't turn his intellect and tenacity against conservatives so often...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline kozanne

• Newb
  • Desert Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

I appreciate your continued efforts. "my" senators are cantwell and murray - AKA Dumb and Dumber. I had more productive conversations with my cat.

Oh, 'my' Senators are McCain and Flake.     ::bashing::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »

If you owned your boss it would be OK.

Not happening. Every day brings new revelations of just how little is mine.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »

Oh, 'my' Senators are McCain and Flake.     ::bashing::

Try Klobuchar & Franken.

The real Dumb & Dumber!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
Why the hell is McCain trying to get us involved in Syria?

McCain could, if he chose, press the point that if our enemies are willing to kill each other, we should do what we can to make sure the fight goes on for as long as possible, but the effect of yesterday’s photo op is the opposite. He wants Americans to believe that there’s some significant element of Syrian rebels who are budding U.S. allies and that they’re sufficiently formidable and well organized to be able to host a U.S. senator inside Syria. (In fact, McCain’s visit was held just on the other side of the border with Turkey.) Less than a month ago, the Guardian reported that members of the moderate-ish Free Syrian Army were becoming radicalized and defecting en masse to jihadist rebel factions like Jabhat al-Nusra. A few days before that, the New York Times reported, “Nowhere in rebel-controlled Syria is there a secular fighting force to speak of.” That’s the reality belied by McCain’s stunt, presumably undertaken with the White House’s blessing, to mislead the public into thinking there just might be an American friend in the making somewhere inside the maelstrom.

Exit quotation:

" Timothy P Carney @TPCarney

I fully support John McCain's right to join the Syrian rebellion.

1:59 PM - 28 May 2013"

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/05/28/did-the-white-house-approve-mccains-photo-op-with-the-syrian-rebels/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:36:57 PM »
Where was his fluffer, Miss Lindsey?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Miss Lindsey has a considerable retired military constituency,
they're not too keen on Obama's wars I think.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
I think that is the only thing prodding her on this issue CO, er him, er...whatever.

Oh, and if J-Mac sees fit to carry Barry's dirty water...is it too much to ask a lunatic to get lucky while he's at it?

::whatgives::

I tell ya, we get NO help!

::facepalm::

::gaah::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »

“Regrettable” if true, McCain spokesman says.

The photo, released by McCain’s office, shows McCain with a group of rebels. Among them are two men identified in the Lebanese press as Mohamed Nour and Abu Ibrahim, two of the kidnappers of the group from Lebanon.

A McCain spokesman said that no one who met with McCain identified themselves by either of those names.

Right Johnny Mac, and just like you, they always tell the truth.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

The photo, released by McCain’s office, shows McCain with a group of rebels. Among them are two men identified in the Lebanese press as Mohamed Nour and Abu Ibrahim, two of the kidnappers of the group from Lebanon.

A McCain spokesman said that no one who met with McCain identified themselves by either of those names.

::rimshot::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
In retrospect it is for the best he lost in 2008. Had he won, this is the sort of policy that would be emanating from the White House, and it would come with that patina of obligatory legitimacy because of the (R) next to his name. So much damage has been done to the Republican name by policies that are anything but republican. That's a big, probably the biggest, explanation for this current mess. It started in the 2006 midterms, the dramatic rejection of Bush and the congressional GOP. And yet we still have those idiots lecturing us that they're the model for success and we're the ones who are going to drag down the party.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
In retrospect it is for the best he lost in 2008. Had he won, this is the sort of policy that would be emanating from the White House, and it would come with that patina of obligatory legitimacy because of the (R) next to his name. So much damage has been done to the Republican name by policies that are anything but republican. That's a big, probably the biggest, explanation for this current mess. It started in the 2006 midterms, the dramatic rejection of Bush and the congressional GOP. And yet we still have those idiots lecturing us that they're the model for success and we're the ones who are going to drag down the party.

Ironic, ain't it?  And I don't think a Romney would have changed the dynamic one iota either.  It doesn't matter the name...the type is all the same...Big Government Repub's who sold their souls because they believe this is the ticket to being loved, respected and reelected.

Let Them DIE!!!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »

::rimshot::

A picture that will live in infamy -

Keep smiling...dumbass!