Author Topic: Ultimate SHTF Adapter for 12g Break  (Read 734 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Ultimate SHTF Adapter for 12g Break
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
Basically these look like long barreled pistol barrels (7") that slot into a 12g barrel at the break and I suppose the pistol rounds would perform well although as you go up in caliber there has to be some drop in velocity and range, but it is an interesting system with great flexibility.  Reloading time may be hampered if you're in danger of being overrun by zombies, so keeping other multiple round capable tools handy is still desirable, but this is interesting.  Sighting looks to be the most problematic thing about the system to work on improving.  At present I don't have a breaking 12g.

::thinking::

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/27/the-awesome-adapter-for-your-12-gauge-shotgun-that-turns-your-gun-into-an-ultimate-survival-rifle/

http://www.gearupcenter.com/products/x-caliber-shotgun-gauge-adapter-system.html
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Ultimate SHTF Adapter for 12g Break
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »

That's neat.  They used to, maybe still do, sell those inexpensive single shots at Walmart.
At first blush it seems a little pricy but hey, they've got 'em and the versatility is unmatched.
A good range review would top it off well.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
I wouldn't look for too much accuracy with such short rifling. About the only advantage I see over a T/C would be to adapt to different ammo during an emergency.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
One could argue that if one has something like a Rem 870 with both a shot & slug barrel, a good all-around rifle and a few pistols (maybe some that can be modified for different calibers) you have it all covered anyway.

As I watched the range clips this guy had, I saw the short barrel lengths affect accuracy, in a SHTF scenario that is not a small issue.  Not being a gunsmith I cannot speculate how long the barrels would need to be to improve accuracy (especially the rifle calibers), but something like this may be better suited for the low budget crowd who may already have a double barrel in their possession looking to fill out their bug-out bag and be able to shoot whatever calibers they happen to come across or have on hand.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »

For the person devout in belief of a SHTF scenario it should be a must have item.  The only common caliber missing is the .22lr, it is the ultimate in compact versatility.  Nobody can lug around guns of all those calibers but there may be available pick up ammunition.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
As I watched the range clips this guy had, I saw the short barrel lengths affect accuracy, in a SHTF scenario that is not a small issue.  Not being a gunsmith I cannot speculate how long the barrels would need to be to improve accuracy (especially the rifle calibers), but something like this may be better suited for the low budget crowd who may already have a double barrel in their possession looking to fill out their bug-out bag and be able to shoot whatever calibers they happen to come across or have on hand.

In a long term SHTF scenario, your initial weapon only really needs to be good enough to help you acquire a better one. Look at the Liberator pistol the US air dropped on occupied Europe and Asia during WWII. It didn't even have rifling at all. But it only had to work that one time, and now you've got yourself a MP40 :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly