Author Topic: All Politics is Local  (Read 866 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
All Politics is Local
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »
An interesting phenomenon is occurring in my hometown and I just signed on to be a part of it.

Although we sit in the shadow of a major loony-liberal blackhole city, my town is decidedly conservative in its conduct. The last two mayors have been pubbies with the last one - a 2 termer - being more of a moderate populist than any sort of conservative, and there is only one liberal on the city council. Our mayor has announced that he isn't going to run for a 3rd term so it will be an open field.

The mayors race is declared as "non-partisan" which means that everyone has to pretend that they do not know the ideological makeup of the contenders and "vote the man" (which is always a crock of crap).

So the mayor and his good ol boy network has propped up their chosen candidate for us and it was supposed to be a lead-pipe cinch - that is, until the spoiler came along. The man I helped get elected to the city council has tossed his hat into the ring. And I'm going to help him get elected mayor. Full disclosure here: I'm just riding my brother's coattails here. He signed on as a speech writer and analyst for our candidate. And I will only be serving as a footsoldier but I am elated at the opportunity to see (and be a part of) a campaign so close up.

We have a hard roe to hoe - the chosen one is female, a two-term city councilman, and, well the chosen one by the insiders. She is also a chameleon who adopts the protective coloration suitable to the moment. She's been a reliable team player in the city council, but from what i've seen so far she has no credentials as a leader. My guy is a rock-solid conservative who is a relative newcomer to public office. He is the perfect citizen/statesman - just what we need to entice into public office.

There are (as of yet) no leftists who have announced and from what I hear non waiting in the wings.

So either way my town wins, but if things go well we will position ourselves very well for the next four years.

I'm looking forward to it.

charlesoakwood

Re: All Politics is Local
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »

"We have a hard roe to hoe..."
                                              ::speechless::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
Be sure to keep us updated on the race. May I ask the relative size of your town, and its proximity to the city?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »

"We have a hard roe to hoe..."
                                              ::speechless::

Damned spellcheck ;-)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
Be sure to keep us updated on the race. May I ask the relative size of your town, and its proximity to the city?

About 50k and close enough to smell them.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
Tough thing, keeping the Left at bay in a city of 50k near a major metropolitan area. Best of luck.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
It would be swell to have a buffer against libiot urbanites.  Good luck!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.