Author Topic: Another Stockman Interview, Another Sobering Warning  (Read 807 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Another Stockman Interview, Another Sobering Warning
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:58 AM »
The Blaze chronicled an AP interview with David Stockman about a month ago and we discussed it here. Now there is another interview published yesterday (featured on Drudge) complete with audio which you can access here.

...the system is dramatically unstable. In a healthy financial system and a free capital market, if I can put it that way, you are not going to have stuff going from nowhere to @1.2 trillion and then back to a trillion practically at the drop of a hat. That is instability; that is a case of a medicated market that is essentially very dangerous and is one of the many adverse consequences and deformations that result from the central-bank dominated, corrupt monetary system that has slowly built up ever since Nixon closed the gold window, but really as I say in my book, going back to 1933 in April when Roosevelt took all the private gold. So we are in a big dead-end trap, and they are digging deeper every time you get a new maneuver.

Podcast at the link. Thoughtful and thought provoking.

I will get around to buying gold after I have built up what I believe is a reasonable and safe amount of food and ammunition. If there is any to buy after that. If our currency has any value.

I said this a while back and I think it bears repeating: I think that gold is great and all but I am betting that practical knowledge and skills will be worth as much or more than gold in a collapsed economy. I think that high value barter goods will be worth (and be more liquid) as much or more than gold when the SHTF...I'm thinking of things that have a long, long shelf life: distilled liquor, gourmet coffees...stuff like that. Real estate has and always will have value because it is real...hope I can swing another rental property or two someday.  And I was never much for going off grid but I am evolving my thinking on it. Now I see it as a possible value item in and of itself.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Another Stockman Interview, Another Sobering Warning
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
I understand and agree with your essential point - a diversified basket of goods and services is best.  It can include skills and knowledge, durable and non-perishable goods, everything has a value and a purpose.  I see silver being a better medium of exchange than gold for most people of moderate means as I think it will have a value closer to obtaining common everyday goods, gold is a long term store of value which could be used to acquire larger ticket items like land and machinery.  This reminds me though, I need to start hoarding more booze and toiletetries...that stuff will always be in high demand.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.