Author Topic: DoD presentation classifies Catholics, evangelicals as extremists  (Read 20694 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Now it's not just the DHS. It's the DoD.

Defense Department presentation classifies Catholics, evangelicals as extremists

The Defense Department came under fire Thursday for a U.S. Army Reserve presentation that classified Catholics and Evangelical Protestants as “extremist” religious groups alongside al Qaeda and the Ku Klux Klan.

The presentation detailed a number of extremist threats within the U.S. military, including white supremacist groups, street gangs, and religious sects.

The presentation identified seventeen religious organizations in a slide titled “religious extremism.” They include al Qaeda, Hamas, the Filipino separatist group Abu Sayyaf, and the Ku Klux Klan, which the slide identifies as a Christian organization.

“Religious extremism is not limited to any single religion, ethnic group, or region of the world,” the slide explains, in language that closely resembles the text of a Wikipedia page on “extremism.”

While outfits such as al Qaeda and the KKK are explicitly violent, the presentation also lists Catholicism and evangelical Protestantism as extremist groups.

More than half of all Americans identify themselves as members of those two Christian denominations. National Public Radio reported in 2005 that 40 percent of active duty military personnel were evangelical Christians.

“Men and women of faith who have served the Army faithfully for centuries shouldn’t be likened to those who have regularly threatened the peace and security of the United States,” said Col. Ron Crews, a retired Army chaplain and the executive director of the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty.

“It is dishonorable for any U.S. military entity to allow this type of wrongheaded characterization,” Crews said in a news release. Crews also criticized the presentation for citing the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center to support its findings.

The SPLC has dubbed organizations “hate groups” for promoting Christian teachings on morality and sexuality.

A SPLC map of “hate groups” was used by a gunman in 2012 to target the conservative Family Research Council for its position on gay marriage. The gunman shot a security guard at the FRC’s headquarters. The SPLC has refused to comment on its role in the shooting.

The Archdiocese for the Military Services, a Catholic organization that trains and endorses military priests and chaplains, said in a release that it was “astounded that Catholics were listed alongside groups that are, by their very mission and nature, violent and extremist.”

The AMS called on the Pentagon “to review these materials and to ensure that tax-payer funds are never again used to present blatantly anti-religious material to the men and women in uniform.”

An Army spokesperson said the presentation “was produced by an individual without anyone in the chain of command’s knowledge or permission.” The Army removed the offending slide after receiving complaints.

[I seem to remember the DHS "removing" the various conservative subgroups from its list of potential domestic terrorists after the report had been released, just like this. They're trying to make people feel marginalized. IDP]

The person responsible for the presentation, the spokesperson said, “was not a subject matter expert, and produced the material after conducting Internet research.”

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: DoD presentation classifies Catholics, evangelicals as extremists
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »
Just as a side note... can anyone refresh my memory as to the last time the organized Ku Klux Klan was responsible for violent action in the name of the Klan? Maybe they should be taken off the list.

Oh, and are the New Black Panthers or the Nation Of Islam on the list? Inquiring minds want to know.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »
on purpose...this slide was there on purpose

the purpose being to get this viewpoint out "there"

so what they got called on it--they don't care as long as they insert the thought into the public mind
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/04/05/us-army-reserve-presentation-calls-catholics-evangelicals-extremists-conflates-militias-with-drug-gangs/?singlepage=true

While casting millions of faithful American Christians and Jews as “extremists,” the slide on page 25 has a glaring omission that is surely tied to the Obama administration’s handling of one of the worst terrorist attacks against US military and civilian personnel on US soil.

Notice who is not included on the list: Maj. Nidal Hasan. On Nov. 5, 2009, US Army psychiatrist Hasan went on a rampage at Fort Hood, Texas. He killed 13 people including a pregnant soldier, and wounded 32 others. Despite the fact that Hasan shouted “Allahu ackbar!” while gunning his victims down, and his prior contact and communications with Islamist preacher and terror exhorter Anwar al-Awlaki, the Pentagon officially lists Hasan’s massacre as “workplace violence.”
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
Persecution of people of faith has been foretold for a long time.
It's just coming fast now.

Not trying to go all woo woo here, but it's a battle between Light and Darkness that has been going on since time began.
It's just becoming more open now.

The wonderful thing is we win in the end

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
I'm with ya AP. It's a difficult thing to face squarely, but we know that in order for Christ to come again, Christians will suffer persecution first. That is bound to be accompanied by an upside down world before it goes hot.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:31 AM »
Persecution of people of faith has been foretold for a long time.
It's just coming fast now.

Not trying to go all woo woo here, but it's a battle between Light and Darkness that has been going on since time began.
It's just becoming more open now.

The wonderful thing is we win in the end

Yes.  But I ain't going down without a fight.

No "woo woo" about it; I've been saying "Powers and Principalities" for a while now.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
Just as a side note... can anyone refresh my memory as to the last time the organized Ku Klux Klan was responsible for violent action in the name of the Klan? Maybe they should be taken off the list.

Oh, and are the New Black Panthers or the Nation Of Islam on the list? Inquiring minds want to know.

No, you are wrong. Here is the video of the KKK member talkin bout killin some nigga babies. He be sayin I hates Black peoples and all dat:

black panther kill some crackers.flv
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
I'm surprised some shytsack leftist troll hasn't spun the usual misinformation that these newly listed extremist groups were merely added just to not look like they are singling anyone out, by listing Catholics and evangelicals it gives them cover.  Maybe they know its too much bullshyt for even a populace dominated by brain-dead sheeple to digest, just surprised they haven't tried it.  The "we didn't authorize this" excuse is not just lame, it's lazy.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:41:06 AM »
I'm surprised some shytsack leftist troll hasn't spun the usual misinformation that these newly listed extremist groups were merely added just to not look like they are singling anyone out, by listing Catholics and evangelicals it gives them cover.  Maybe they know its too much bullshyt for even a populace dominated by brain-dead sheeple to digest, just surprised they haven't tried it.  The "we didn't authorize this" excuse is not just lame, it's lazy.

Meanwhile, both evangelical Protestants and Catholics can't supplicate to government fast enough. They've all been totally co-opted by the statists through the 501(c) tax exemption, which as condition of tax exemption prohibits them from actually speaking freely. They've given their pinch of incense to Caesar.

How did they get so seriously duped with the 501(c) crap? Everywhere I look fundamental rights have been converted into conditional privileges. So instead of shepherding their flocks, we have all these pastors imploring congregants to obey the government. Are they God-fearing or government-fearing? When you keep your mouth shut about social, ethical, and moral policy issues because you're worried about getting into trouble with the IRS over your tax exempt status, well....

Most recently, Franklin Graham and the Southern Baptist Convention have made a point of shilling for the "universal background check": http://chuckbaldwinlive.com/home/archives/5518
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:45:06 AM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
I'm surprised some shytsack leftist troll hasn't spun the usual misinformation that these newly listed extremist groups were merely added just to not look like they are singling anyone out, by listing Catholics and evangelicals it gives them cover.  Maybe they know its too much bullshyt for even a populace dominated by brain-dead sheeple to digest, just surprised they haven't tried it.  The "we didn't authorize this" excuse is not just lame, it's lazy.

Meanwhile, both evangelical Protestants and Catholics can't supplicate to government fast enough. They've all been totally co-opted by the statists through the 501(c) tax exemption, which as condition of tax exemption prohibits them from actually speaking freely. They've given their pinch of incense to Caesar.

How did they get so seriously duped with the 501(c) crap? Everywhere I look fundamental rights have been converted into conditional privileges. So instead of shepherding their flocks, we have all these pastors imploring congregants to obey the government. Are they God-fearing or government-fearing? When you keep your mouth shut about social, ethical, and moral policy issues because you're worried about getting into trouble with the IRS over your tax exempt status, well....

Most recently, Franklin Graham and the Southern Baptist Convention have made a point of shilling for the "universal background check": http://chuckbaldwinlive.com/home/archives/5518

Yeah, they should be shedding their tax exempt status and operate like any small business and look to break even for the year or report a small income or loss, but the big thing that scares them is their tithers losing their charitable contribution deduction.  It doesn't matter that that deduction is a mere fraction of face value (based upon your marginal tax rate) the sheelple are conditioned to getting that "break" and they will riot if it is taken away, God forbid these ignorant parishioners realize their church would be more free of government interference if they gave up their tax-free status...by all means continue being a happy slave sporting a tasty gag!

::)

Idiots!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
But islam gets a pass ......

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/30/pruden-how-intimidate-paperclip-general/

"When, 18 months ago, apologists for Islamic radicals complained that an instructor at the National Defense University, the military war college, was guilty of the sin of showing insufficient deference to radical Islam, the general first humiliated him, then cashiered him, to appease Muslim critics, some of them radical and no friends of the United States. Now the instructor has been rejected for battalion command and his promising Army career is effectively over."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »

Billy Mitchell.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
Mingo War (WV). Plans to use tear gas on civilians (miners).  Right, CO?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
Wiki
General Colonel Billy Mitchell:

He antagonized many people in the Army with his arguments and criticism and, in 1925, was returned from appointment as a brigadier general to his permanent rank of Colonel. Later that year, he was court-martialed for insubordination after accusing Army and Navy leaders of an "almost treasonable administration of the national defense"[2] for investing in battleships instead of aircraft carriers.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »
1 outta 2 ain't bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »
Yeah Billy Mitchell proved that capital ships could be taken out by air attack. The Army and Navy brass didn't want to hear of it, as they viewed the fledgling development of air power to be a distraction and funding diversion from their own pet projects. I guess some stuff never changes.

However, the Imperial Japanese Navy definitely took note of Mitchell's demonstrations and studied them thoroughly.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »

Yepper, and their pet project today is diversity. Wiccans, Muslims, Wommens in combat, antagonists of all sorts.  And, just as the Japanese capitalized then our current myopia will also be taken advantage of.  And, like Billy Mitchell, good men will be sacrificed on that alter.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »
William "Billy" Mitchell (December 29, 1879 – February 19, 1936) was a United States Army general who is regarded as the father of the U.S. Air Force.[1]

Mitchell served in France during World War I and, by the conflict's end, commanded all American air combat units in that country. After the war, he was appointed deputy director of the Air Service and began advocating increased investment in air power, believing that this would prove vital in future wars. He argued particularly for the ability of bombers to sink battleships and organized a series of bombing runs against stationary ships designed to test the idea.