Author Topic: Son of Pastor Rick Warren  (Read 1013 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Son of Pastor Rick Warren
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
LAKE FOREST (CBSLA.com) — Pastor Rick and Kay Warren’s youngest son, Matthew, has committed suicide, Saddleback Valley Community Church announced Saturday.

The evangelical megachurch announced the death of the 27-year-old in a statement. He died Friday night.

Described as “an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many,” the statement said Matthew suffered from mental illness that resulted in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.
link
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Son of Pastor Rick Warren
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 07:16:33 AM »
...Matthew suffered from mental illness that resulted in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.

That's sort of an obvious point to make, isn't it? So obvious that it almost reads: "Don't look at me, it's not my fault."

I'm too cynical. Rest in peace young man.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
...Matthew suffered from mental illness that resulted in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.

That's sort of an obvious point to make, isn't it? So obvious that it almost reads: "Don't look at me, it's not my fault."

I read it as "I must write something here even though I can't possibly know the monsters that tortured this man"

At least the suffering has ended.

RIP Matthew

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »

I read it as "I must write something here even though I can't possibly know the monsters that tortured this man"

At least the suffering has ended.

RIP Matthew

I'm sure your interpretation is closer to reality than mine. My opinion of Rick Warren undoubtedly taints my interpretation.

Indeed, rest in peace.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »
I never knew my paternal grandfather. By all accounts, he was a wonderful man who loved his two boys. He had a depression issue and a drinking issue, not a good combination. After being sober for a while, he went off with his 'friends' to Virginia Beach. While there, his best friend back home in NC died. He returned on the next train (that should date him) to go to the funeral. He told his wife (my grandmother) that he couldn't go to the service. She went and took my dad and his brother. When they returned, my dad (only 5 at the time), found his father slumped in front of the gas stove. He had killed himself.

Depression is a terrible demon, indeed.

May the young man rest in peace.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
Kinda tinged by my opinion of Rick like IDP, but the young man obviously had issues that overwhelmed him, and it is a loss family members and friends can carry with them a long time.  I had a friend a long time ago who killed himself less than an hour after he dropped me off at another friends house, I had no inkling anything was amiss, none of the "classic" warning signs.  Sometimes there is not anything more someone can or could have done.  Truly tragic.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.