Author Topic: Amazon unilaterally deletes Orwell's "1984" from everyone's Kindle reader  (Read 616 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Amazon Secretly Removes "1984" from the Kindle

Thousands of people last week discovered that Amazon had quietly removed electronic copies of George Orwell's 1984 from their Kindle e-book readers. In the process, Amazon revealed how easy censorship will be in the Kindle age.

In this case, the mass e-book removals were motivated by copyright. A company called MobileReference, who did not own the copyrights to the books 1984 and Animal Farm, uploaded both books to the Kindle store and started selling them. When the rights owner heard about this, they contacted Amazon and asked that the e-books be removed. And Amazon decided to erase them not just from the store, but from all the Kindles where they'd been downloaded. Amazon operators used the Kindle wireless network, called WhisperNet, to quietly delete the books from people's devices and refund them the money they'd paid.

An uproar followed, with outraged customers pointing out the irony that Amazon was deleting copies of a novel about a fascist media state that constantly alters history by changing digital records of what has happened. Amazon's action flies in the face of what people expect when they purchase a book. Under the "right of first sale" in the U.S., people can do whatever they like with a book after purchasing it, including giving it to a friend or reselling it. There is no option for a bookseller to take that book back once it's sold.

Apparently, until last week, Amazon claimed it wouldn't take back purchased books either: The New York Times' Brad Stone reports:

[blockquote]Amazon's published terms of service agreement for the Kindle does not appear to give the company the right to delete purchases after they have been made. It says Amazon grants customers the right to keep a "permanent copy of the applicable digital content."[/blockquote]

But this isn't the first time there has been a problem with secret deletings. Stone adds:

[blockquote]Amazon appears to have deleted other purchased e-books from Kindles recently. Customers commenting on Web forums reported the disappearance of digital editions of the Harry Potter books and the novels of Ayn Rand over similar issues.[/blockquote]

Now that the public is up in arms over the Kindle deletions, Amazon is once again promising good behavior. Amazon spokesman Drew Herdener told reporters:

[blockquote]We are changing our systems so that in the future we will not remove books from customers' devices in these circumstances.[/blockquote]

That "in these circumstances" bit doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Sounds like books will be removed again under other (undefined) circumstances.

Regardless of whether you believe Amazon's promise to leave your Kindle alone, the company has tipped its hand and shown us the dark side of a culture where books are only available in electronic form. If the WhisperNet service from Kindle allows the company to delete books silently from your device, what other information might they have access to? Can the company monitor what you're reading and when - and then hand that over to law enforcement? Can it replace a book file with a different file whose content is changed?

Perhaps more than anything else, this mass deletion of 1984 has made it clear that collecting e-books is going to require some technical know-how. No e-book is truly yours unless you can get it off your Kindle and onto your computer - hopefully a computer that isn't connected to the internet.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Another good reason to have real books in ones inventory.  Technology is making censorship too easy.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
This is one of the biggest downsides of the digital age, the lack of tangible property. It's all just binary data, and when you purchase it you're not purchasing an "it" at all, but rather a license to use the data. Sure, it's very convenient, you can acquire a book or a song or a movie almost instantly and not have to lug around a printed version. But what if it kills off the industries that have heretofore made physical registrations of information? Already we've seen the film camera nearly eliminated from the market. That makes me apprehensive. In a film camera you capture a photograph by the chemical changes the light makes on the film. As long as that film is kept physically secure, the information it captured is secure too. It's tangible. Not just that, but the information is captured directly, it's not dependent on some algorithm deciding how to convert it into digital form (and more importantly, how to convert it back). The film camera versus the digital camera exemplifies the overall problem with information being stored in a dense, digital form versus a physical registration that is directly analogous (hence, analog) to the information itself. Imagine you took a photograph that contains critically important information. You could have a film negative of it, or a flash card containing it in digital form. Under primitive or emergency conditions, which would be more useful? Which could be more easily reversed back to the original information?

I'm no luddite, but I do have apprehension about everything being put into an information-dense format that not only requires a minimum amount of technical resources to access, but furthermore requires "permission" in the form of a license, a key, etc. It means somebody is the gatekeeper of that information, and that somebody will always end up being the government. It's a system that lends itself entirely too well to being disabled at the pleasure of the state.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Key word alert

Backup

I always save all my purchased stuff again on another drive.

The thing with Orwell is that is stuff is public domain in some parts of the world, just not the United States where Disney bribed enough politicians to inact an 80 year copyright.  Australia, I believe, is 50 years after the author's death, so George Orwell is available on all the free book sights there.  I got, I saved, and no one here can do anything about it.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
Another good reason to have real books in ones inventory.  Technology is making censorship too easy.

This so much.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

charlesoakwood

This is not the first time they have done this.
Kindle is part of the collective, part of that group who are rewriting history.  Property rights belong to the collective and it is their decision what part of yours you get to keep.