Author Topic: Worldly Possessions  (Read 2739 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Worldly Possessions
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
Ann cuts both ways, we admire her zeal in highlighting the kabuki economy and things like that, her religious diatribes not as much, and frankly I find people wanting to buy a wooden spoon for $500 to be truly nuts.

Is it possible that the spoon is just an excuse to donate 500. to her and no more?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »
Ann cuts both ways, we admire her zeal in highlighting the kabuki economy and things like that, her religious diatribes not as much, and frankly I find people wanting to buy a wooden spoon for $500 to be truly nuts.

Is it possible that the spoon is just an excuse to donate 500. to her and no more?

That's what I was thinking.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »

I'm confused.  Why would I want to donate to her when she takes
a vow of poverty and refuses to fight for her own possessions?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

That's an interesting question.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »

That's you and that's fine.  She has friends, and, I'm presuming, a list of former clients to whom she told the truth in the hopes of protecting them as best she could.  Perhaps ... a speck of loyalty, yes?

The possession she's unwilling to fight for is the house.  Perhaps she hasn't the money for the legal fees that would entail.  This is different from auctioning off one's stuff.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:37:11 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »

Maybe those possessions aren't what she really cares about and has something else in mind. Maybe there were just too many posesions with bad memories?A new beginning?  It may just be a Catholic thing,who knows.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »

Don't know enough about Catholicism to say but the first reading
hurt my gut, buying her spoon felt as if I were adulterating her goal.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
Just speculating.
Maybe she's chosen to live a life of poverty and dispense of worldly possessions

charlesoakwood

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,8111.msg95670.html#msg95670
This auction is three days long, ending on April 15th at 1919:58 PDT and will determine if I bother to list any more items or not. Like I said, we'll just see how this goes. Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

My Ebay handle is 720ann.

She's auctioning off her spoon on ebay.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
I initially thought what Pan & JF thought, but my follow up reaction was like CO's.  If somebody wanted to give her a donation they can do that direct, it's called a "gift".  By auctioning off stuff, it looks unseemly to me in the wake of her bold declarartion of embracing poverty, or she just went a bit overboard with her hyperbole in describing her intent.  It would have been better IMO had she just said "I'm having a garage sale to get rid of this junk, maybe sell some stuff online, and donate the rest to charity" and nobody would have given any of this another thought.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »
hmmm . . .

well she's a firebat . . .
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
I initially thought what Pan & JF thought, but my follow up reaction was like CO's.  If somebody wanted to give her a donation they can do that direct, it's called a "gift".  By auctioning off stuff, it looks unseemly to me in the wake of her bold declarartion of embracing poverty, or she just went a bit overboard with her hyperbole in describing her intent.  It would have been better IMO had she just said "I'm having a garage sale to get rid of this junk, maybe sell some stuff online, and donate the rest to charity" and nobody would have given any of this another thought.

Yup. Or even, "I've lost my house to foreclosure, and you know, I'm really at peace with it because I feel the burden of clinging to such a worldly obligation lifted from me. But now I won't be needing a lot of household items, so I might as well sell them on ebay to those of you who appreciate the stand I took that led me to lose my home."

I'm pretty sure that's exactly where she's at. But she took it the step-too-far with her vow of poverty. Her zeal betrayed her.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Her spoon is at $560, just an FYI.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »
I initially thought what Pan & JF thought, but my follow up reaction was like CO's.  If somebody wanted to give her a donation they can do that direct, it's called a "gift".  By auctioning off stuff, it looks unseemly to me in the wake of her bold declaration of embracing poverty, or she just went a bit overboard with her hyperbole in describing her intent.  It would have been better IMO had she just said "I'm having a garage sale to get rid of this junk, maybe sell some stuff online, and donate the rest to charity" and nobody would have given any of this another thought.

Its Unseemly. That is the word to describe how I feel about it.  I didn't like it, but I wasn't sure why. 

I have always enjoyed Ann's thoughts - even on Catholicism. I always find it interesting to know what others really believe and where their intellectual journey's take them - there are too many roads and I can't take them all. While she may (wrongfully)  claim that she ( or the Church) has  exclusive possession of the truth, I don't use that to assume she has none of it. Very often she expressed the truth very eloquently, and from a perspective I would never have come at it from, and I have always found that valuable.

That she is fallible as the rest of us, of course, comes as no surprise ( to us)  but it may come as a surprise to her. God may be attempting to point that out to her.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
I don't know if selling one's possessions is perhaps less likely to attract scrutiny from the Excise-Man versus taking direct donations/gifts, but that may be why she's doing things this way.

I wonder though, whatever she is taking payment into, wouldn't that likely be attached by the IRS? I know her goal is to avoid contributing the murder-machine.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »

She just contributed her home to him which must be worth considerably more than a drawer of spoons.  Also if she had contested she could have cost them more money, time and personnel.  Too, she may have garnered some much desired positive publicity. 

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 09:02:59 PM »
I should probably let it pass without comment  but Ann's Burnt Offering Vase is currently on the Auction block.  Sure to become the most valuable relic of St. Barnhardt, this vase is advertised to still posses a bacony aroma.

Unseemly. Yeah that is the word I am looking for.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:08:34 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 04:59:20 AM »
All I know is North Carolina Law. You can't get foreclosed on without a hearing. At the hearing, the homeowner is entitled to challenge the note holder's acceleration of the debt. In my state, someone like Ann would not lose her house if she was current on her debt.

Without boring everyone with the details of loan servicing and assignments and such, suffice it to say that the real money made in mortgage loans is in the servicing of the loan: i.e., the collection of the monthly payments. The interest paid accounts for the cost of funds in the beginning, for the initiation of the loan. What was once a relatively certain market, the home lending business was ruined by the thieves at Freddie and Fannie, taking their huge production bonuses in legalized theft.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.