Author Topic: Wal Mart raped by enviromentalists  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Wal Mart raped by enviromentalists
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »

This story caught my eye because how much hazardous waste can wal mart actually produce...and the answer is none, but if you dump a little bleach down a drain and enviroman catches you, you will pay dearly. Plus, does Mr enviroman understand what actually travels the sewer lines? Does Mr Enviroman know why we need sewer lines? Apparantly not. I can't wait for the mega(diseasefilled) cities.

Wal-Mart pleads guilty for Calif. hazardous waste

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will pay $81 million after pleading guilty to criminal charges the company dumped hazardous waste across California, a company spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Wal-Mart entered the plea in San Francisco federal court to misdemeanor counts of negligently dumping pollutants from its stores into sanitation drains across the state, spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan said.

As part of the plea, the company will pay the substantial fine that also will cover charges in Missouri.

The plea agreements announced Tuesday end a nearly decade-old investigation involving more than 20 prosecutors and 32 environmental groups.

In 2010, the company agreed to pay $27.6 million to settle similar allegations made by California authorities that led to the overhaul of its hazardous waste compliance program nationwide. The state investigation began eight years ago when a San Diego County health department employee saw a worker pouring bleach down a drain.

In another instance, officials said a Solano County boy was found playing in a mound of fertilizer near a Wal-Mart garden section. The yellow-tinted powder contained ammonium sulfate, a chemical compound that causes irritation to people's skin, eyes and respiratory tract.

"We have fixed the problem," Buchanan said. "We are obviously happy that this is the final resolution."

Court documents show the illegal dumping occurred in 16 California counties between 2003 and 2005. Federal prosecutors said the company didn't train its employees on how to handle and dispose hazardous materials at its stores.

The result, prosecutors say, was that waste was tossed into local trash bins or poured into the local sewer systems. The waste also was improperly taken to one of several product return centers throughout the United Sates without proper safety documentation.

Buchanan said employees are better trained on how clean up, transport and dispose of dangerous products such as fertilizer that are spilled in the store or have their packages damaged.

For instance, workers are armed with scanners that tell them whether a damaged package is considered to contain a hazardous material and are trained on how to handle it, she said.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Wal Mart raped by enviromentalists
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »
Oh good grief.  Making a federal case, literally, over bleach poured down drains, as if, as you noted, Don, there is no awareness of what *else* is in the sewers.

And yet water treatment plants regularly chlorinate their works and the water.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
Oh good grief.  Making a federal case, literally, over bleach poured down drains, as if, as you noted, Don, there is no awareness of what *else* is in the sewers.

My point. I put chlorine in my pool.....I hope I am not fined.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »

You either get on the corporatist bandwagon or you get extortion.
Walmart should be commended for holding out.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »

My point. I put chlorine in my pool.....I hope I am not fined.

Give 'em time Don, give 'em time.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »
I feel the need to dump a bunch of bleach down the drain...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58:12 AM »
You can't emphasize enough about the risks of doing business in third world banana republics.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »
Insurance rates will soar...even more!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »
 I can't stop thinking about this. They pay a fine for dumping some bleach down a drain...into the sewer. The same occurance happens in every restaurant in America...if they clean or use a mop. The same thing happens in every home, that is if you use bleach in your laundry and your washer drains out of that little hose in the back and I think that water makes it to the sewer lines.

I can't think of any building where mop water or any cleaning agent (aka chemicals)isn't poured down a drain, which is essentially what Wally World paid dearly. Do liberals understand the concept of a sewer line?

So the conclusion I reach is Wal Mart was targeted. The EPA used as a weapon. Surprise.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
The EPA is a domestic terrorist organization. There - I said it!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »

So say we all!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
California is so broke, the 81 million they gouged out of Walmart may run the state for less than a day or so. (Cal. Budget FY 2013-14 205 Billion http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/compare_state_spending_2013bF0c )

Money gotta come from somewhere. They sure as hell ain't gonna cut spending.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

As is everything run by the leftists.
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:19 AM »

As is everything run by the leftists.

And it won't get any better.  Start cutting up all the snakes...or live on your knees...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »

Already there is conflict between agencies, as copetition increases for turf, budget allocation, and less money to go around, some of them may attrit themselves.