Author Topic: Windows 8 Hailed As Next Big Thing, Technological Wonder  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Windows 8 Hailed As Next Big Thing, Technological Wonder
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
Take a look here, this will make it much easier for you: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

You can download this tool in Windows and it will prep the USB device for you, allowing you to specify the ISO file of your chosen Linux distribution, or it can even download it for you. Just get yourself a cheap USB drive (I would get at least 8 GB in size) and turn it into a portable OS that you can use on just about any machine.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:51:14 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
Those of you who are stuck with 8 and hating it, you should try putting Linux on a USB flash drive and booting up off of it to see if you like it. You can do that without committing to any changes on your system.  I use one for work with Ubuntu on it. It's handy because it gives me a portable OS and if I come across a machine suspected of containing some sort of malware I needn't bother with its installed OS.

Actually I have had very good luck with  the Puppy distro for USB key booting - small enough that it runs on even really old stuff. You can also burn it to a CD and boot from that..

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:02 AM »
I might be a computer retard.  G's link wasn't working for me as far as triggering the download.  My laptop doesn't let me choose where the put the damned thing, I moved the downloaded file to my thumb drive for the windows prep file and click on it and it bombs out and says I need to download again, I try to delete the old file and it says the gaddamned things is running.  I finally get all that deleted and go the my link, well I killed that noise as it wants to download almost a full 8GB on a 8GB thumb drive.  I go the Weisshaupt's link and it has all this jargon about ISO ans stuff that makes me realize what a truly retarded tool I am and I just pick the first one and the download says it is 133MB and it is taking forever and a day to download (I was sucking that 8GB file faster!) so I killed it.  I think I'll go outside and scream at the globalwarming piled up on my lawn, it might be more productive for me!

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 09:20:01 AM »
I ditched the iso to usb file, it just doesn't work.  Trying the universal usb installer, click it, hit yes to allow changes and it seems like it did something now nothing whatsoever is going on...

I h8 computers!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
Maybe its this fat format crap, wtf is that?   :'(

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »
I ditched the iso to usb file, it just doesn't work.  Trying the universal usb installer, click it, hit yes to allow changes and it seems like it did something now nothing whatsoever is going on...

I h8 computers!

Okay, I like the Ubuntu kernal and package system, so this is what you do
Download:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

Then use a CD/DVD burning tool like Nero to burn this .iso ( an ISO is just a file copy of a complete harddisk)  to a CD.
Then boot form the CD.  The CD will then present a menu that allows you to just boot and USE the Puppy copy on the CD, or to create a Bootable USB.. and from there is should be relatively easy .

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
Maybe its this fat format crap, wtf is that?   :'(

Oh man, Trap must be laughing his A** off at that.

FAT is the really old MS-DOS way of "formatting" a Hard-drive. NTFS is the newer (and now more common) way. They are just different ways of organizing the filing cabinets.  However some OS's prefer one or the other, so if you are trying to dual boot ( I don't recommend it) and have two operating systems on  the same hard drive using "Grub" or similar to select which one you want at boot- you may need both  a "FAT" partition and a "NTFS" one for windows.  In my experience Dual Boot causes more problems than it solves-- and its better to use an Virtual Machine emulator to run the OS within your primary OS ( as trap does) if you NEED that functionality.

If All you want is some basic Microsoft compatible word processing, web browser and basic mulitiedia tools, Puppy will do you just fine.  One you get the hang of getting basic puppy loaded, you can go look for a Puplet that specifically meets your exact  needs. (better multimedia suite or whatever)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
You're funny Weisshaupt, a real hoot, you say it is easy...

So now I am off the usb and have to burn a CD?   ::facepalm::

I don't know what burning tool I have on the laptop, no Nero or other Caesar I know that, and the old one on my decrepit desktop always wants to take all day to format a cd and then when I want to put something I want on it it goes nuts on me, which is why I haven't touched a cd in eons.

See what you have to work with?!

::bus::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Laptop has something called CyberLink Power2Go8.  I presume I can do a data disc cd.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »
Laptop has something called CyberLink Power2Go8.  I presume I can do a data disc cd.

According to the Internet this is a CD-burning program capable of "burning" an ISO image. What I would try is to download the ISO from the link that Weisshaupt provided (take note of where it saves the file to). Then right-click on the ISO file and choose "Open with" and select the Pwer2Go8 program (make sure you have a blank disc in the tray).

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
The ubuntu application is on the thumb drive, the lupu link is still downloading (64kb/sec?   ::falldownshocked::  ), between the thumb drive and cd one of these suckers will have to work!

I'll let ya know.  Thanks to all for the help, I know I am not the easiest person to talk techie to!  

And yes, the cd program file is ready to go and a cd in the tray, once download is done I'll open with it.   ::thumbsup::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
FAT is file allocation table. I know what it stands for but I'm not a tech so that's as far as it goes.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

::facepalm::  For my attempt I'm going to the library, maybe Marian will walk me through it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
It's official I guess, I am hopeless.

Got the cd set up, can't get the machine to boot off it.

Went to the ubuntu on thumb drive, it looked like the set up part worked, but I get an old dos-looking error message that says stick the windows disc in (up yours Bill!) and all you can do is hit enter, then it gives you a screen that asks you to choose to start windows 8 or ubuntu, I choose ubuntu and it craps itself and kicks me back to that demonic dos message.

I guess I just suffer the scourge of the win8 swipemonster and learn to like it.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

Went to the ubuntu on thumb drive, it looked like the set up part worked, but I get an old dos-looking error message that says stick the windows disc in (up yours Bill!) and all you can do is hit enter, then it gives you a screen that asks you to choose to start windows 8 or ubuntu, I choose ubuntu and it craps itself and kicks me back to that demonic dos message.

I guess I just suffer the scourge of the win8 swipemonster and learn to like it.

LOL. You are officially qualified to be one of the users my IT department supports :). Here is every day of my life:

Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »

Heh, I'm hell with a mouse.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »

LOL. You are officially qualified to be one of the users my IT department supports :). Here is every day of my life:

Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy

Aw, hell; after he said "slash" the second time, I'd've moooooved without being asked.

Most of the language on this thread looks to me like blahblahblah, screen, blahblahblah, enter, blahblahblah, download, blahblahblah .......
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
She's cute, I'm not, I'd just get a slap to the head.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Take a look here, this will make it much easier for you: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

You can download this tool in Windows and it will prep the USB device for you, allowing you to specify the ISO file of your chosen Linux distribution, or it can even download it for you. Just get yourself a cheap USB drive (I would get at least 8 GB in size) and turn it into a portable OS that you can use on just about any machine.

Awesome, tried this again, Norton blocked it because it contains a trojan.   ::)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »
LINK to the Financial Times.

Microsoft is preparing to reverse course over key elements of its Windows 8 operating system, marking one of the most prominent admissions of failure for a new mass-market consumer product since Coca-Cola’s New Coke fiasco nearly 30 years ago.

“Key aspects” of how the software is used will be changed when Microsoft releases an updated version of the operating system this year, Tami Reller, head of marketing and finance for the Windows business, said in an interview with the Financial Times. Referring to difficulties many users have had with mastering the software, she added: “The learning curve is definitely real.”

This turn of events is not without some small amount of gloating...

The combination PC and tablet software was widely panned by reviewers and has been blamed by some analysts for worsening the slump in sales that has rocked the PC industry. Even before its launch, Tim Cook, chief executive of Apple, said Windows 8 would be like combining a toaster and a fridge – something that, while technically possible, was “probably not going to be pleasing to the user”.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.