Author Topic: Windows 8 Hailed As Next Big Thing, Technological Wonder  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Windows 8 Hailed As Next Big Thing, Technological Wonder
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I wonder if software engineers at Miscrosoft wear disguises to and from the office and claim to be anything but a Microsoft software engineer to people?  I'm guessing they'd rather admit being a JurnoTard, a lobbyist or a sanitation engineer...or maybe unemployed...anything but a Miscrosoft software engineer!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
I wonder if software engineers at Miscrosoft wear disguises to and from the office and claim to be anything but a Microsoft software engineer to people?  I'm guessing they'd rather admit being a JurnoTard, a lobbyist or a sanitation engineer...or maybe unemployed...anything but a Miscrosoft software engineer!

Maybe piano players in houses of prostitution.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 07:02:40 AM »

Anything but the truth will do! 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »

You ain't kidding.  The new laptop took a notion to drop off the wi-fi network last night.  There USED to be a little PC icon on the old laptop taskbar that could be used to "repair" this sort of thing, but that's not the way '8 is, and I could not find the correct place on Control Panel with which to fix it.

The blue smoke is finally clearing out of here now.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »

You ain't kidding.  The new laptop took a notion to drop off the wi-fi network last night.  There USED to be a little PC icon on the old laptop taskbar that could be used to "repair" this sort of thing, but that's not the way '8 is, and I could not find the correct place on Control Panel with which to fix it.

The blue smoke is finally clearing out of here now.

::hysterical::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
Yet another article that sort of explains how MS is going to tweak Win8 so that everyone won't hate it as much as they do right now. This is really a pretty good idea and I can think of so many other applications for it. Certainly there is a big market for making gonorrhea so that people don't hate it as much. And root canals...they could be made more fun.

With the release of Windows 8 seven months ago, Microsoft introduced a startup screen displaying applications in a mosaic of interactive tiles instead of static icons. The shift agitated many users who wanted the option to launch the operating system in a mode that resembled the old setup. That choice will be provided in Windows 8.1.

However, Microsoft isn't bringing back the start menu on the lower left corner of the screen. Windows has offered the button for accessing all programs and settings on every previous version of the operating system since 1995. Microsoft believes the startup screen replaces the need for a button, but its omission has ranked among the biggest gripes about Windows 8.

Oh, yes...joy. This will certainly make it all better.

Spend millions on polls and focus groups to find out why your target market loathes your premier product and then pretty much ignore what they are telling you because they are stupid and haven't figured out the awesomeness of Win8 but they will soon 'cause, Microsoft or something.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »

Eight's on my list.  I used XP until I was dragged kicking and screaming to Seven. 
I still favor XP and have it on my old IBM.  I this laptop with Seven breaks I would
seriously consider paying to have my HD reformatted and then loaded with Seven.
While doing that shopping I would certainly consider the cost effectiveness of a Mac.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »
Yet another article that sort of explains how MS is going to tweak Win8 so that everyone won't hate it as much as they do right now. This is really a pretty good idea and I can think of so many other applications for it. Certainly there is a big market for making gonorrhea so that people don't hate it as much. And root canals...they could be made more fun.

With the release of Windows 8 seven months ago, Microsoft introduced a startup screen displaying applications in a mosaic of interactive tiles instead of static icons. The shift agitated many users who wanted the option to launch the operating system in a mode that resembled the old setup. That choice will be provided in Windows 8.1.

However, Microsoft isn't bringing back the start menu on the lower left corner of the screen. Windows has offered the button for accessing all programs and settings on every previous version of the operating system since 1995. Microsoft believes the startup screen replaces the need for a button, but its omission has ranked among the biggest gripes about Windows 8.

Oh, yes...joy. This will certainly make it all better.

Spend millions on polls and focus groups to find out why your target market loathes your premier product and then pretty much ignore what they are telling you because they are stupid and haven't figured out the awesomeness of Win8 but they will soon 'cause, Microsoft or something.

I find that to be one of the biggest aggravations, the lack of the traditional start-up.  The tiles are a major pain in the ass as well, and I had to hunt for the "shut down".

Who the hell ever thought this was better because new needs a beatin'.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
Try Linux. All you need is a cheap USB thumb drive and you can boot it up and try it out without making any changes to your computer.

www.pendrivelinux.com
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »

I'm ready, oops, thumb's too small, Monday then.  I referred back to http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,8123.msg96076.html#msg96076 and scroll to 13, nothing ventured nothing gained.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:22:28 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »
So, revisiting my past failures I see...so that's how its going to be, eh?!   ::slapfight::

Re: Trap's post - I note they don't say squat about that nasty charm/swipe/whateverthehellitis thingy that invades from the right!  Who the frick likes that crap?  I know, Trap...Mac!  Next time...next time!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
So, revisiting my past failures I see...so that's how its going to be, eh?!   ::slapfight::

Re: Trap's post - I note they don't say squat about that nasty charm/swipe/whateverthehellitis thingy that invades from the right!  Who the frick likes that crap?  I know, Trap...Mac!  Next time...next time!

That can be turned off and don't ask me how; I found it by chance when I was hunting around for a fix of the printer issue.

eta:  Okay, I looked and found.  Here's how, I think:

Cursor to upper right corner of screen until vertical, five-icon list appears.  Click on "search".  When the screen comes up, click on "settings" (one of the choices below), in the box, type in "touchpad" and enter.  "Synaptics Touchpad V"-something" will appear in a list on the left; click on that and a menu-box will appear with "turn off" as one of the options.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:27:24 PM by Pandora »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
So, revisiting my past failures I see...so that's how its going to be, eh?!   ::slapfight::

Re: Trap's post - I note they don't say squat about that nasty charm/swipe/whateverthehellitis thingy that invades from the right!  Who the frick likes that crap?  I know, Trap...Mac!  Next time...next time!

That can be turned off and don't ask me how; I found it by chance when I was hunting around for a fix of the printer issue.

eta:  Okay, I looked and found.  Here's how, I think:

Cursor to upper right corner of screen until vertical, five-icon list appears.  Click on "search".  When the screen comes up, click on "settings" (one of the choices below), in the box, type in "touchpad" and enter.  "Synaptics Touchpad V"-something" will appear in a list on the left; click on that and a menu-box will appear with "turn off" as one of the options.

No shyt?  I'll try that as soon as I get home!  Thanks!   ::whoohoo::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
You must be using an external mouse to be able to disable the touchpad.  I stumbled into Mouse properties and saw I could suspend right edge swipe, perhaps that will solve my issue.   ::praying::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
You must be using an external mouse to be able to disable the touchpad.  I stumbled into Mouse properties and saw I could suspend right edge swipe, perhaps that will solve my issue.   ::praying::

No, I'm using the laptop's touchpad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »

No, I'm using the laptop's touchpad.

On mine there is only enable or disable, if I disable the touchpad goes dead.  Anyway, the way I did it seems to be working.  What a system, eh?!   ::unknowncomic::