Author Topic: CISPA in layman's terms  (Read 763 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
CISPA in layman's terms
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »
CISPA would allow for the government and private companies to exchange information about cyber threats. If Homeland Security became aware of a planned hack of Facebook, for example, it could notify the appropriate people at the social network. Where it gets controversial is that CISPA would also allow Facebook to tell the feds - or other tech firms - if detected hackers on its network.

Specifically, CISPA would "empower American businesses to share anonymous cyber threat information with others in the private sector and enable the private sector to share information with the government on a purely voluntary basis."

CISPA supporters argue that this type of information sharing just makes sense; how can you thwart or battle an attack if you don't know about it? Opponents, however, argue that CISPA would allow for companies like Facebook or Google to hand over personal information about their users in the name of cyber security. Those companies are provided with good-faith immunity in the event of an attack and theft of personal information.

"What constitutes 'good faith' is unclear on the face of CISPA, given its overall vagueness—which is likely to make difficult any attempt at litigating against companies," the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which opposes CISPA, argued last year.

It just never stops, dayafterdayafterdayafterday .........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: CISPA in layman's terms
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
A good article that explains in easy-to-understand terms what this is, and why it has potential to infringe on our privacy (& therefore is guaranteed to do so).

What is CISPA, and Why Should You Care?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
So, the government can give companies the right to share personal client information with the government voluntarily and not be subject to liability for what happens with that information.  Have I got that right?

Who the frack gave the fracking government the right to give our rights away without liability?  The government?  WTF?!?!?!

::cussing::  that noise!   ::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

I don't need to read it.  If it's from congress or the administration it's no good.  Any legislation put forward that does not nullify old law or regulation or seek to limit the existing powers of government is bad legislation. PERIOD.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »
But remember it's the Republicans who are the "fascists".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35:10 AM »
But remember it's the Republicans who are the "fascists".

Well, clearly some are or crap like this wouldn't become law, but your essential point is correct - practicially 99.999% of libiots are fascists in democrat clothing.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Right. And just that it's such a common pejorative hurled at anyone the Left disagrees with, when in reality the Leftists are the ones who embody the dictionary definition of the word.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly