Author Topic: If you get a new toy, what would it be?  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:54:11 PM by warpmine »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: If you get a new toy, what would it be?
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »
Don't have anything in that class Don, maybe our big game hunters here can weigh in, but IIRC my gun forum info over the years the Rem 700 seems to have a good competition and hunting rep.

A 700 will do fine. For 500 yds, it better be a kick-ass caliber. Somewhere along the lines of .300 Win Mag.

Another thing. Shoot out past 300 yds is a different ball game. Things like wind, humidity, etc., start coming in to play.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 05:26:30 AM »
Generally, you need a heavier projectile when shooting for distance consistently and the .300 winmag cartridge allows you to do that and compensate with more powder charge. Nice thing about this rifle is the built in compensator to lesson recoil meaning you can put down range more than 20 without a bruised shoulder and that my friend is what makes this a fun rifle to shoot.

Is it not a beautiful piece? ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:29:35 AM by warpmine »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »
Got one of these yesterday. It qualifies as a toy.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »

That's definitely a toy. A real man wouldn't get caught using a spinning reel. ::hysterical::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Generally, you need a heavier projectile when shooting for distance consistently and the .300 winmag cartridge allows you to do that and compensate with more powder charge. Nice thing about this rifle is the built in compensator to lesson recoil meaning you can put down range more than 20 without a bruised shoulder and that my friend is what makes this a fun rifle to shoot.

Is it not a beautiful piece? ;D

That it is.   ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »

That's definitely a toy. A real man wouldn't get caught using a spinning reel. ::hysterical::

Jeez Alan, it's not that bad, I like open spinning reels too, it's not like they're, well - this!

::hysterical::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »

A real man has the right reel for every occasion ya doofus. Ya see, up here, where the lakes are actually clean and deep  instead of muddy weed-choked swamps, we have more than just largemouth and bottom-sucking catfish.

You hoity-toity bass fishermen just think you're the shizzle.
 ;)
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »

Jeez Alan, it's not that bad, I like open spinning reels too, it's not like they're, well - this!

Alan's an elitist.  ::dueling::

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
I still want a tractor .......  ::unknowncomic::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »

Here ya go, Missy:

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
 ::facepalm::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »

Alan's an elitist.  ::dueling::

Nah. I'm a 'bubba' fisherman. The lightest line I use is 30# braid. The grass and wood make it a necessity.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
Hey I like a nice spinning reel too, even for surf fishing. I can get a 6 ounce sinker and bait past the sandbar, which I figure is not too bad. Now for heavily shoaled areas, yeah it's casting reel time. At the Outer Banks you have to "throw eight and bait" and you're pretty well out of spinning reel territory by then.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »
I own one spinning reel. Fishing is different in the south than northern climates. Fished lake Guntersville this weekend ( voted one of the top 10 lakes in America), tournament, and our 18.25 lb ( 5 fish limit) only good for 12th place. It took 20 lbs to finish 8th. That's what we do on these wood and grass choked lakes...catch big stringers of bass.

We have a few deep clear lakes too ( Dale Hollow, Center Hill), where you need those spinny outfits and lite line to catch large smallmouths. I prefer flipping into matted grass and holding on.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
I got my first baitcasters two years ago, and I love them - for baitcasting. I use my baitcasters for all my cranks/topwaters/spinner-baits/swimbaits.

But a lot of the fishing I do, especially in the early and late part of the season, is dragging or veritcal jigging. For Lindy-rigging walleye, I like to fish with the bail open and tension from my index finger on the line. For vertical jigging in deeper water, I like to have the option of closed bail or open with the index finger, depending on conditions and the bite. So those methods are best served with spinning reels.

It was an adjustment getting used to the baitcasters, but once I was used to it, I'll never go back for those certain applications. For pitching and flipping plastics I still like my spinning reels.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
I got my first baitcasters two years ago, and I love them - for baitcasting. I use my baitcasters for all my cranks/topwaters/spinner-baits/swimbaits.

But a lot of the fishing I do, especially in the early and late part of the season, is dragging or veritcal jigging. For Lindy-rigging walleye, I like to fish with the bail open and tension from my index finger on the line. For vertical jigging in deeper water, I like to have the option of closed bail or open with the index finger, depending on conditions and the bite. So those methods are best served with spinning reels.

It was an adjustment getting used to the baitcasters, but once I was used to it, I'll never go back for those certain applications. For pitching and flipping plastics I still like my spinning reels.

I like what ever catches the fish. I've used them all and catch them all. I mainly use what IDP has. Have a great fleuger. They stopped making the one I liked two years after the one I bought. They put the drag on the front instead of the back.  ::rant:: I'm still trying to work with my bait caster. I keep changing out lures depending on the water and tie of day. Can't seem to make the fine adjustments to it when I change the lures.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »

I just had a great week end fishing(attempting to catch fish) and I now CLEARLY recall why I do not personally own bait casting reels. Many years ago I decided to give up foul language. Bait-casters really strain that. Backlash is an imminent possibility as is the resulting conniption, so I quit them.  I cleared several fouls while watching my buddies" poles, rebaiting and what not.  The good news is we came home with a lot of fish, and a giant snapping turtle. I expect we will eat well. The bad news is only the little fellows in the kayaks were really catching fish. I only caught two. I shot one turtle and one large gar fish.  The smaller gar was dispatched with a machete to the brain. Does that make my total four? Anyway, the point is, I HATE bait casting reels.  I am the open face spin casting reel man here.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
I had the fortune of being taught how to use a baitcaster on a good reel (Shimano Curado) by an experienced user of baitcasters. It's definitely something that WILL frustrate an inexperienced user without a few basic pointers and constructive criticism as you learn. My friend helped me minimize that frustration.

- Thomas Jefferson