Author Topic: If you get a new toy, what would it be?  (Read 7501 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: If you get a new toy, what would it be?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
I had the fortune of being taught how to use a baitcaster on a good reel (Shimano Curado) by an experienced user of baitcasters. It's definitely something that WILL frustrate an inexperienced user without a few basic pointers and constructive criticism as you learn. My friend helped me minimize that frustration.

I can imagine that this is difficult to articulate in print, but do you have any pointers?
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
I had the fortune of being taught how to use a baitcaster on a good reel (Shimano Curado) by an experienced user of baitcasters. It's definitely something that WILL frustrate an inexperienced user without a few basic pointers and constructive criticism as you learn. My friend helped me minimize that frustration.

I can imagine that this is difficult to articulate in print, but do you have any pointers?

I'd suggest starting the with centrifugal brake on no less than a medium setting. Then set your spool adjustment according to the weight of your lure. Do this by tying on your lure, then release the spool to test the setting. As a beginner, you want that lure to barely fall when you push the spool release button. It should slowly lower to the surface of the water.

Then when you cast, "thumb" the spool with a feather-touch, so you can feel the line passing under your thumb without hindering the line. Just as the lure hits the water, stop the spool with your thumb.

As you practice this, you'll get a feel for how much brake and how much resistance in the spool adjustment you really need, but this'll get you going in the right direction. Once you learn how to do it with minimal backlashes, you'll be able to skip thumbing the spool as the lure is casting, and just stop it with your thumb when the lure hits the water.

Actually, this is a pretty decent video describing what I just said...
How to Cast a Baitcaster by Zane Xanders
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:05:18 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 07:35:09 AM »
The prices on some of those reels...and on a St.Croix rod...   ::speechless::

Is my left nut good anymore?   ::whatgives::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
I got my first baitcasters two years ago, and I love them - for baitcasting. I use my baitcasters for all my cranks/topwaters/spinner-baits/swimbaits.

But a lot of the fishing I do, especially in the early and late part of the season, is dragging or veritcal jigging. For Lindy-rigging walleye, I like to fish with the bail open and tension from my index finger on the line. For vertical jigging in deeper water, I like to have the option of closed bail or open with the index finger, depending on conditions and the bite. So those methods are best served with spinning reels.

It was an adjustment getting used to the baitcasters, but once I was used to it, I'll never go back for those certain applications. For pitching and flipping plastics I still like my spinning reels.

No.....no....no......you DO NOT pitch or flip plastics with a spinning reel. No. No.no.  No. No nononononono. No. No. No.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
I got my first baitcasters two years ago, and I love them - for baitcasting. I use my baitcasters for all my cranks/topwaters/spinner-baits/swimbaits.

But a lot of the fishing I do, especially in the early and late part of the season, is dragging or veritcal jigging. For Lindy-rigging walleye, I like to fish with the bail open and tension from my index finger on the line. For vertical jigging in deeper water, I like to have the option of closed bail or open with the index finger, depending on conditions and the bite. So those methods are best served with spinning reels.

It was an adjustment getting used to the baitcasters, but once I was used to it, I'll never go back for those certain applications. For pitching and flipping plastics I still like my spinning reels.

I like my spinning reel for 2 reasons. 1) for crappie fishing. 2) skipping under docks. I've been trying to skip with a baitcaster, but just haven't much of a chance to practice. Then again, my aim with a spinning reel sucks, so I'm screwed either way.

No.....no....no......you DO NOT pitch or flip plastics with a spinning reel. No. No.no.  No. No nononononono. No. No. No.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
Tell me why Don? I've tried both extensively, and I've settled on preferring the spinning combo for shorter casts that require pinpoint accuracy. The year before last I forced myself to use the baitcasters exclusively for all bass fishing, and last year I went back to the spinner for pitching and flipping because I decided I like the feel of finger-release for better accuracy.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
Tell me why Don? I've tried both extensively, and I've settled on preferring the spinning combo for shorter casts that require pinpoint accuracy. The year before last I forced myself to use the baitcasters exclusively for all bass fishing, and last year I went back to the spinner for pitching and flipping because I decided I like the feel of finger-release for better accuracy.

Because you will lose fish in the time it takes to engage the spinning reel. I'm speaking from the perspective of pitching or flipping dense wood or grass, where your target may be a very small hole in the grass or limbs.....and the bass normally strikes on the fall, so your reel needs to be engaged as the bait hits the water because you are setting the hook quickly. Plus, spinning reels are not made to hold heavy line. Pitching or flipping with the correct baitcaster is easy. ( after practice...LOL) There are those with a "flipping" switch, which I use, or you can get a pure flipping baitcaster. With the flipping switch "on", if you are flipping, you are using a set amount of line and the reel is always engaged. If you are pitching, the reel engages as soon as you take your thumb off the trigger. Don't want the fish engulfing your offering and swimming any while you are engaging your reel. Pulling a large bass out of grass is hard enough, don't want that sucker swimming any.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
Hmmmm... that all sounds like great logic...

I've just never experienced any of the drawbacks you cite. When my lure is in its last few inches before hitting the water, my right-hand index finger is already putting the brakes on the line to drop the bait in the exact spot I want, and my left hand is in motion to engage the reel. It's just a timing sequence like any other, and I've got those casts down to nearly pinpoint accuracy. I'm not waiting to engage the reel - it's engaged simultaneously with the lure breaking the surface of the water.

As far as heavy line, I've been using 12 lb flouro on that spinning reel for the last couple years, and I haven't broke anything off yet. My baitcasters are loaded with 40lb braid.

I think it may be a difference in typical conditions (cover types), and size of fish. We're fishing cabbage, pencil-reeds, docks, rocks, ledges, and deadfall. A 20-23 inch bass (5-7 lbs) in these parts is frikkin huge. The biggest most people catch on a good day is 19" to 21". I know they get a helluva lot bigger in your neck o the woods. But I haven't found a need for anything heavier than 12lb test for the cover/size of fish.

Or, I could just be too much of a puss to man-up and use a baitcaster for all my bass-fishing needs.
 ;)

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Pitching or flipping with the correct baitcaster is easy. ( after practice...LOL) There are those with a "flipping" switch, which I use, or you can get a pure flipping baitcaster. With the flipping switch "on", if you are flipping, you are using a set amount of line and the reel is always engaged. If you are pitching, the reel engages as soon as you take your thumb off the trigger.

All Daiwa baitcasters have a feature that lets you push the thumbbar up to engage the spool quickly. I have 4. ::thumbsup::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
Hmmmm... that all sounds like great logic...

I've just never experienced any of the drawbacks you cite. When my lure is in its last few inches before hitting the water, my right-hand index finger is already putting the brakes on the line to drop the bait in the exact spot I want, and my left hand is in motion to engage the reel. It's just a timing sequence like any other, and I've got those casts down to nearly pinpoint accuracy. I'm not waiting to engage the reel - it's engaged simultaneously with the lure breaking the surface of the water.

As far as heavy line, I've been using 12 lb flouro on that spinning reel for the last couple years, and I haven't broke anything off yet. My baitcasters are loaded with 40lb braid.

I think it may be a difference in typical conditions (cover types), and size of fish. We're fishing cabbage, pencil-reeds, docks, rocks, ledges, and deadfall. A 20-23 inch bass (5-7 lbs) in these parts is frikkin huge. The biggest most people catch on a good day is 19" to 21". I know they get a helluva lot bigger in your neck o the woods. But I haven't found a need for anything heavier than 12lb test for the cover/size of fish.

Or, I could just be too much of a puss to man-up and use a baitcaster for all my bass-fishing needs.
 ;)

Different fishing situations. I use 14lb Florocarbon for most of my open water fishing. It works fine. But pitching into mats, 12 lb will break almost every time if the fish buries and you gotta horse her out. I actually use 65 Lb braid, 7'6" heavy action rod with fast tip. The line twist with spinning reels gets to me. I have used up to 30 lb braid on a spinning reel.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »
I echo what IDP said, I've gotten pretty good with a spinning reel, and I rarely go over 10lb line.

If one were to get a baitcaster, whats a good one to learn on, the Daiwa's Alan mentions?

The only thing I've had a mild interest in learning is a fly rod...not sure I can do that without tearing an ear off...baitcaster might be better!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »
If one were to get a baitcaster, whats a good one to learn on, the Daiwa's Alan mentions?

For starting out, I'd try anything with a magnetic drag. Easier to adjust and shortens the learning curve.

The only thing I've had a mild interest in learning is a fly rod...not sure I can do that without tearing an ear off...baitcaster might be better!

I inherited my FIL's fly rod. I've only used it 3-4 times, but I've improved my casting ability enough to get from "piss poor" all the way up to "poor". ::whoohoo::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »

For starting out, I'd try anything with a magnetic drag. Easier to adjust and shortens the learning curve.

I inherited my FIL's fly rod. I've only used it 3-4 times, but I've improved my casting ability enough to get from "piss poor" all the way up to "poor". ::whoohoo::

We'll find out if an old dog got any learnin' left in 'em!   ;D

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
You open water, spinny usin', clear lake guys..... ::mooning:: ::evil::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
You disadvanted closed water, big-spendin' bait-castin' stained water fellers...y'all must be rich to afford all that high-falutin' gear just to git a few lil' fishies!   ;D

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
You open water, spinny usin', clear lake guys..... ::mooning:: ::evil::

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! ::vafancoul::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
You disadvanted closed water, big-spendin' bait-castin' stained water fellers...y'all must be rich to afford all that high-falutin' gear just to git a few lil' fishies!   ;D

jealous.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

jealous.

I must admit it. I am jealous of those who get to chase after 10lb bass. No such critter in these parts.

We do have muskies. But that's not relaxing, it's work. It's only enjoyable when you catch a fish, which is less than frequently barring the anomalous outing (had an 8 muskie day 2 years ago, but that was freakishly good fishing).

So yeah, jealous.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Just how is this thread related to 2A unless you're defending the right to hunt fish with a gun? ::popcorn::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Just how is this thread related to 2A unless you're defending the right to hunt fish with a gun? ::popcorn::

I thread-jacked, guilty as charged. The title is "If you get a new toy, what would it be?"

I got fishing on the brain, what can I say? I wanted a new Ranger boat, and I settled for a new Quantum Smoke spinning reel.

- Thomas Jefferson