Author Topic: American servicewomen 'encouraged' to wear headscarves in Afghanistan  (Read 6554 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
At least they're not all taking it lying down.

Don’t forget your hijab, soldier! American servicewomen encouraged to wear headscarves in Afghanistan

In an effort to get closer to the local population, American female soldiers stationed in Afghanistan are being encouraged to wear a Muslim headscarf when interacting with civilians. But some question whether the practice constitutes cultural sensitivity or a form of appeasement that is degrading to U.S. soldiers.

Major Kyndra Rotunda, executive director of the Military Law and Policy Institute and AMVETS Legal Clinic, told The Daily Caller that while the women are not being ordered to wear the head scarf, encouragement is tantamount to a demand.

“They say they are encouraging women to wear the headscarf when they are out and about and on patrol. But the problem is — and I think anyone who has been in the military understands that being encouraged to do something is about the same thing as being ordered — it really puts them in an uncomfortable position when their commander says, ‘We really want you to do this, technically you don’t have to, but we really want you to do this,’” she said.

Lt. Col. Michael Lawhorn, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, stressed to TheDC that while commanders are encouraging American women to wear headscarves while engaging with civilians, they are not having them wear the headscarf in lieu of their kevlar helmets.

“Nobody is saying, ‘Okay as we head out onto this dangerous street, you wear a hijab instead of your kevlar helmet,’” Lawhorn said. “As women are on some of these engagement teams and they are going to go into places where are going to predominantly be dealing with other women, like giving them medical information or finding out their concerns are in the local community. Local commanders are encouraging them — not demanding, but encouraging — if they feel more comfortable — ‘Feel free to wear a headscarf.’”

Rotunda remained unconvinced, telling TheDC that helmets are always the preferred head wear among soldiers.

“Even if it is outreach, you never know what to expect. You really should be wearing your kevlar helmet, it is a safety issue,” she said.

Retired Col. Martha McSally, whose grievance about being forced to wear the Muslim abaya while stationed in Saudi Arabia in the 1990s resulted in 2002 legislation outlawing the practice of making female soldiers wear Muslim religious garb in Saudi Arabia, told The Daily Caller that the sanctity of the uniform should not be sullied with outside accessories like the hijab.

“Another thing that makes this inappropriate is that they are wearing it with their uniform,” she said. “All the services have several-hundred-page regulations about what is appropriate and is not appropriate to wear with the uniform, and we have very strict guidelines … You are representing the United States government. You are wearing the U.S. military uniform, and it confuses what you are representing when you add this to the uniform.”

In mid-February one of the sponsors of the 2002 legislation that outlawed the practice of making female soldiers in Saudi Arabia wear the abaya, Rhode Island Democratic Rep. James Langevin, wrote a letter to Defense Secretary Robert Gates requesting more information about soldiers in headscarves.

“I understand the mission in Afghanistan is drastically different than the situation our female troops faced in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 10 years ago,” Langevin wrote. “However I am interested to know the precise policies or operating instructions that are currently being employed with regard to the garments worn by female service members in Afghanistan and other Muslim nations.”

Langevin continues to wait for a response.

Female service members are not the only ones concerned. Retired Navy SEAL Scott Taylor told TheDC that he has been troubled by reports of women wearing the headscarves with their uniforms.

“I am completely oppose appeasement to a culture rather than respecting it,” Taylor wrote in an email. “My personal Middle Eastern experience in a very conservative country has taught me that Muslims can feel respected without submitting to an impersonation of their culture. There is little or nothing gained by an American woman in a Hijab, in what is deemed by some as cultural sensitivity. Women in Female Engagement Teams can successfully complete their stated mission without utilization of the Hijab. Encouraging (which coming from leaders is basically an order within the military) this approach is against what the American soldier in uniform stands for. Soldiers operating covertly are a different story.”

Colonel Martha McSally is hopeful that the experience she had in Saudi Arabia being forced to wear the abaya will not be repeated in Afghanistan with the hijab.

“I am a civilian now, I retired from the Air Force, these things will not apply to me, so there is no personal connection in that sense. But as an American and someone who went through this with the abaya … I feel on principle, for the same reason the abaya was wrong, this is wrong,” she said. “It is important to be sensitive to the local culture in any mission, and understand the culture but this is not about shaking with your left hand or showing the bottom of your feet … this symbolizes that women have a lower status than men.”

Major Rotunda is hopeful that Congress will get involved to ensure that female soldiers are no longer pressured to comply.

“It is clearly within Congress’s realm to pass another provision like what they passed in 2002,” she said. “If the military on its own doesn’t stop this nonsense.”

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: American servicewomen 'encouraged' to wear headscarves in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
Pretty soon our forces will be "encouraged" to carry prayer rugs and smack their heads on the ground 5 times a day. You know, for the sake of "getting closer to the local population".

Here's a radical thought. Maybe the local population should try "getting closer" to our forces. They just might learn some important lessons about why we have an advanced country and they live in a turd hole scarcely changed at all in the last 1,000 years.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »
This issue was covered in the "news" a few months back.  I'm glad to see it's receiving additional attention and the pushback.

I photobucketed the below pic last go 'round.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
I consider it an affront to the uniform and the country and culture it represents, and I'm just a civilian.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
I consider it an affront to the uniform and the country and culture it represents, and I'm just a civilian.

I know exactly where you're coming from but I have to say that those ladies have enough to worry about without some religious nut case busting their chops. They could wear helmets but in that heat this has to be a little easier.

Let the flogging begin.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »

I know exactly where you're coming from but I have to say that those ladies have enough to worry about without some religious nut case busting their chops. They could wear helmets but in that heat this has to be a little easier.

Let the flogging begin.

I won't flog ya cuz I know we're basically on the same page in this matter.

But I will say this just to flesh out my point. At the moment in time those photos were taken, those aren't ladies. They're American troops.

But either way: If they're ladies, well, American non-muslim women don't wear hijabs. If they're American troops, American troops wear the uniform. Either way it's an affront.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
When did this "encouragement" start?  January 20, 2009?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »

Let the flogging begin.

I won't flog ya cuz I know we're basically on the same page in this matter.

But I will say this just to flesh out my point. At the moment in time those photos were taken, those aren't ladies. They're American troops.

But either way: If they're ladies, well, American non-muslim women don't wear hijabs. If they're American troops, American troops wear the uniform. Either way it's an affront.

I know I know but I just never wanted women on the front lines.Maybe I'm just old.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »

If they are on our side they will respect us.
If they are not on our side just shoot them.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
...I know I know but I just never wanted women on the front lines.Maybe I'm just old.

I've never agreed with women in combat either.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »

If they are on our side they will respect us.
If they are not on our side just shoot them.

Right. If they have a problem with hair, it's their problem.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:05 AM »
This issue was covered in the "news" a few months back.  I'm glad to see it's receiving additional attention and the pushback.

I photobucketed the below pic last go 'round.

Just flat out wrong!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
What's next the Burka or maybe a veil? Who knows, maybe the male soldiers will soon be wearing the Jubba.  ::gaah::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
If it was I, I'd be risking my career by telling them to KMA, for a few reasons, the least of which is the headgear renders these women officially out of uniform.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
Reminds me of that scene in Patton where the General tells an Army doctor in a field hospital to wear his helmet at all times. When the doctor complains "but Sir, I'm a doctor" Patton quickly corrects him: "You're a soldier first, then a doctor".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »
Oh, and speaking of military headgear...

IIRC, in the past, there was some consternation about taking an earned beret color and in with egalitarian issued it to everybody.
Could it be possible this is the way they are returning to the earned status of certain colors?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »

IIRC, in the past, there was some consternation about taking an earned beret color and in with egalitarian issued it to everybody.
Could it be possible this is the way they are returning to the earned status of certain colors?

The Cavalry-Stetson is an April Fool joke, CO.

There's no way today's powers-that-be are anywhere near interested in merit or the concept of "earned".

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »

The Cavalry-Stetson is an April Fool joke, CO.

There's no way today's powers-that-be are anywhere near interested in merit or the concept of "earned".

::falldownshocked::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:12 AM »
Heh. I didn't catch that either. I guess it pays to read an article to the very last line...

"The Army's official adoption date of the Stetson will be April Fool's Day, 2012."
 ::unknowncomic::

- Thomas Jefferson