Topics > The Departed

Country Music Singer George Jones, 81

(1/3) > >>

IronDioPriest:
George Jones, 81

Every story about country singer George Jones seemed like a myth, but they were all true. Yes, he really did drive a lawnmower to the liquor store after his wife took the car keys. Yes, someone did slash him in the stomach with a straight razor when he was 20 years old. Yes, he flushed thousands of dollars down the toilet, just because. Yes, he tried to rip Porter Wagoner’s penis off in a restroom, also just because. No one was as much of a sh*t-kicker as George Jones, so, to put it bluntly like he would, it f*cking sucks that he passed away this morning.

[blockquote]George Jones, the definitive country singer of the last half-century, died Friday at a hospital in Nashville. He was 81. He was hospitalized on April 18 with fever and irregular blood pressure, the Web site of Webster & Associates, his publicists, said in announcing the death.

Jones, who was nicknamed Possum for his close-set eyes and pointed nose, and later No-Show Jones for the concerts he missed during drinking and drug binges, was a legendary figure in country music. His singing, which was universally respected and widely imitated, found vulnerability and doubt behind the cheerful drive of honky-tonk. With a baritone voice that was as elastic as a steel-guitar string, he brought suspense to every syllable, merging bluesy slides with the tight, quivering ornaments of Appalachian singing.[/blockquote]

ChrstnHsbndFthr:
George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

ChrstnHsbndFthr:
When I was just a teen, my uncle Rick and I took a trip together and we had a tape of George Jones, singing this song. By the time we got home, we could practically sing it word for word all the way through. Then when we got to his house, his wife had left him while we were away. The song was prophetic in a sense, because he never got over it, eventually drinking himself to death.  For the record, she was not worth it.

But, It brings great sadness to see George Jones go. Just one more milestone on the march of life passing by.

charlesoakwood:

He died early in life, on the morning of April 26, 2013, at the age of 81. 
That's what too much liquor will do to a fella'.

George Jones - The one i loved back then

Rest in peace, George.

AlanS:
Many moons ago, when I was single and hopping bars, I was in an establishment trying to sweet talk this little thing. She went to the bathroom and upon her return screamed "GUESS WHO'S HERE?" Being as I didn't really care but wanted to keep her attention, I was obliged to asked "Who?". She mentioned George Jones. I scanned the building (rather large) and didn't see him any where. She said "He's over there with his bodyguards". I had to stand on my bar stool to look over the goons, but sure enough, standing there....well, he was almost standing. More like supporting the wall....was 'Possum himself. Evidently he had consumed even more alcohol than I. Since that was my only Jones sighting, I'll have to carry that for the rest of my life.

He sure did know how to make a man cry in his beer. RIP, George.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version