Author Topic: "If They Outlaw Your AR, Then What?"  (Read 1906 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"If They Outlaw Your AR, Then What?"
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
Wirecutter has been running ads from Advanced Rifles for a while now, and I never really looked at the details until yesterday.

They have a very reasonable idea and approach.

The idea is something I talked about a couple of years ago when I built my AR from an 80% lower.  In every legal sense, this is an AR-15 rifle:

That's a completely machined, but completely stripped, AR lower receiver.  That's all.  This particular lower is from Arfcom, but they're made by Colt, Bushmaster, Ruger, DPMS, S&W - you name it.  Everyone who sells their own branded AR-15 makes a lower with their name, identifying model number, serial number and all the markings required by the laws.

Advanced Rifles offers a very reasonable conclusion here.  Let's say you own a Bushmaster model that has just been made illegal by your state.  You are required to turn it in or register it.  If you remove the lower receiver, remove the trigger and all the components in there, stripping it down to just the hunk of metal and a pile of parts, that stripped receiver you're left with is the Bushmaster AR-15 in every legal sense.  You can hand in that stripped lower receiver and comply with the law.

Now what?"

"Now what" is at the link.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: "If They Outlaw Your AR, Then What?"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
I admire the "build a better mousetrap" approach of patriots responding to incipient fascism. However, you know as well as I do that they'll just pass another law and close another loophole to allowing us to engage in our constitutional rights.

I prefer the straight-forward approach: "God help anyone who comes between me and my guns. There won't be any warning shots offered".

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
Interesting idea. It still requires, though, that you voluntarily surrender that which you own and have every God-given right to possess and because of that it is a flawed idea.

I like the idea of making your own gun and that's why I'm doing just that. If I can only find all of the parts I need to finish it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
I admire the "build a better mousetrap" approach of patriots responding to incipient fascism. However, you know as well as I do that they'll just pass another law and close another loophole to allowing us to engage in our constitutional rights.

I prefer the straight-forward approach: "God help anyone who comes between me and my guns. There won't be any warning shots offered".

Concur on all points.  I thought the post interesting and informative, though.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
That is interesting, but I agree with Soup and Trap. Also, what this would do, is provide yet another "loophole" for the Leftist demagogues to scream over. The "AR lower-receiver machining" loophole, or what have you.

I'm not interesting in figuring out how to be more clever than the government, snickering while I exploit "loopholes" of their creation. I'm more interested in jamming a barrel up their ass and pulling the f***ing trigger, if I'm to be honest.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

Concur on all points.  I thought the post interesting and informative, though.

It absolutely is. After reading the article at the link I clicked around at a few of the other articles including one on the "modular AR" from Colt (model 901). Another interesting idea - a convertible AR sharing the same lower. Apparently not so good in practical application however judging from the comments of the posters trying to deal with an obtuse Colt Manufacturing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
That is interesting, but I agree with Soup and Trap. Also, what this would do, is provide yet another "loophole" for the Leftist demagogues to scream over. The "AR lower-receiver machining" loophole, or what have you.

I'm not interesting in figuring out how to be more clever than the government, snickering while I exploit "loopholes" of their creation. I'm more interested in jamming a barrel up their ass and pulling the f***ing trigger, if I'm to be honest.

LOL.  Wouldn't have you any other way.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
Find some old gun parts....a bunch of screws, bolts, etc.  Keep them. When uncle sam shows up at your door to confiscate your weapons, give them the parts and exclaim when you heard guns were illegal and may kill someone, you immediately disassembled them so they would cause no harm. Give them a few spent casings, gasp and cry that you were so troubled that you threw away most of the parts and this is all you have left.

Hell, bury a few parts outside. Dig them up and turn them in. Cry. Be remorsful. Beg for a card so you can call if you find out anyone has a gun. Make sure you have a "greenpeace" sticker or some other liberal token readily available. Nothing says "I hate guns" more than the correct bumper stickers. Lament we have too many killings each year at the expense of people with too many guns. Congratulate them on "saving lives". Ask if they think mace is safe.....Offer it to them. If you really want to throw it in thier collective faces, volunteer your pressure cooker to be confiscated.

Get your story. A good story will throw the scent off you.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
Find some old gun parts....a bunch of screws, bolts, etc.  Keep them. When uncle sam shows up at your door to confiscate your weapons, give them the parts and exclaim when you heard guns were illegal and may kill someone, you immediately disassembled them so they would cause no harm. Give them a few spent casings, gasp and cry that you were so troubled that you threw away most of the parts and this is all you have left.

Hell, bury a few parts outside. Dig them up and turn them in. Cry. Be remorsful. Beg for a card so you can call if you find out anyone has a gun. Make sure you have a "greenpeace" sticker or some other liberal token readily available. Nothing says "I hate guns" more than the correct bumper stickers. Lament we have too many killings each year at the expense of people with too many guns. Congratulate them on "saving lives". Ask if they think mace is safe.....Offer it to them. If you really want to throw it in thier collective faces, volunteer your pressure cooker to be confiscated.

My own tongue would choke me if I ever attempted such a thing.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »

My own tongue would choke me if I ever attempted such a thing.

Nah.....Have some fun with the feds. I'm not stating you don't protect your property when they invade your home...I want an advantage and what better advantage is they think you can't defend yourself.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:08:08 AM »
They best outlaw illegal thoughts as well cause they inevitably cause the mind to devise new and improved ways to forge weapons to which can defends one's property from the horde. 3-D graphics, CNC machine, lathes, mills, best outlaw them all cause at this point we already have the knowledge of the genie and we aren't giving it back.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:11:36 AM »
No surrender, no clever subterfuge...they come to steal, they better make peace with their dear fluffy lord.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Love that movie, Libertas.