Author Topic: MORONS.....YES ?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline KittenClaws

Re: MORONS.....YES ?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

I so remember S & H Green Stamps.

We got 'em at gas stations with additional things, like coffee cups, beer can holders, dishes, plates, etc.!

LOL! I remember the wheat pattern dishes my mother collected from the gas station! She kept them well into the 1980's.  They still put glasses in oatmeal back then.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
Used to help my mom with the S&H stamps when I was a kid.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »

I loved putting the stamps in the book!
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Wow! I had totally forgotten those stamps be it at grocery stores or gas stations. Bring them back for the hunting of progressives. No stamps, you don't eat! Redeem them for prizes, redeem them for bonuses, redeem them because you're a patriot!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 04:39:12 AM »
Wow! I had totally forgotten those stamps be it at grocery stores or gas stations. Bring them back for the hunting of progressives. No stamps, you don't eat! Redeem them for prizes, redeem them for bonuses, redeem them because you're a patriot!

Can I get 'em with my EBT? ::hysterical::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 05:04:07 AM »
I'm gonna take the high road and not say you guys are really old ::oldman::. I'll instead say that I must be particularly young, given the demographic of the thread  ::rimshot::  ::rolllaughing::
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »
S&H Green Stamps (also called Green Shield Stamps) were trading stamps popular in the United States from the 1930s until the late 1980s. They were distributed as part of a rewards program operated by the Sperry & Hutchinson company (S&H), founded in 1896 by Thomas Sperry and Shelley Byron Hutchinson. During the 1960s, the rewards catalog printed by the company was the largest publication in the United States and the company issued three times as many stamps as the U.S. Postal Service.[1] Customers would receive stamps at the checkout counter of supermarkets, department stores, and gasoline stations among other retailers, which could be redeemed for products in the catalog.

The program had its greatest popularity during the mid-1960s, but a series of recessions during the 1970s decreased sales of green stamps and the stamp programs of their competitors. The value of the rewards declined substantially during the same period, requiring either far more stamps to get a worthwhile item or spending money for an item that was barely discounted from the price at regular stores, creating a general downward spiral as fewer and fewer people saw them as worth the trouble.

In 1972, the company was brought before the Supreme Court for violating the unfairness doctrine. In Federal Trade Commission v. Sperry & Hutchinson Trading Stamp Co., the court held that restricting the trade of the stamps was illegal.

Sperry and Hutchinson was sold by the founders' successors in 1981, and was purchased from a holding firm by a member of the founding Sperry family in 1999. At that time, only about 100 U.S. stores were offering Green Stamps. Eventually, with the rise of the Internet and the World Wide Web, the company modified its practices, and it now offers "greenpoints" as rewards for online purchases
wiki link
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."