Author Topic: Super Secret Sauce recipe  (Read 11587 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Super Secret Sauce recipe
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
BMG,

I love recipes, both following and creating.  But the one main reason I could never work in a professional kitchen is that, to me, all recipes are suggestions.  Whenever I see green bell pepper, for example, that calls for an immediate switch over to sweet red, yellow, or orange (depending on the dish; all three if making sausage and peppers).

I may keep the same ingredients in a recipe time after time, but nothing ever comes out quite the same twice.  Close?  Yes.  But not a standard taste/flavor.  That's why I like experimenting, or putting a lot of food in my food (as a certain unnamed moderator residing in a location between Tierra del Fuego and Point Barrow says).

My kids give me a hard time because I rarely write down any of my discoveries. Sometimes I may make a note ot the basic ingredients so I can remember combinations but even that's rare. Drives them nuts because the older ones want to try to make it and I don't have a recipe I can point them to. 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
Quite correct RickZ.  ;D

Glad you like it. But adjusting recipes is part of cooking,that's why they're called recipes and not formulas.

I have to interject here and say that baking recipes are formulae - chemistry.  That's why my desert baking skills are minimal at best, to be overly generous, sticking with a tried and true favorite:  Grand Marnier chocolate cheesecake.  Now I don't know whether it's the Grand Marnier in the cheesecake, or the tablespoon of Grand Marnier ladled over the whipped cream spooned on top of the slice, or the shot of Grand Marnier served on the side with coffee that makes it a favorite, maybe all three.  All I know is everyone who's eaten it has liked it.  Everything else is stovetop puddings and the like.

Some people are bakers, most are not.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »

Some people are bakers, most are not.

Was is that you think?    Hmmm, I started out baking.  Had no interest in cooking until I had a family and decided if I had to cook I might as well enjoy it.  I always thought baking was easier and more fun.  Now I rarely bake.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
I'm with RickZ on this one.  ;D I'm no baker! I'm just a lowly cook. My Wife on the other hand...she's a baker! lol This is a very good arrangement though...balanced and all that.  ;)

She has a pumpkin pie recipe that she's been refining...MmmmMmmm! She uses black pepper in it but you'd never know that was the secret ingredient unless she told you. She also has a killer rum cake recipe...home made oreo cookies...oy, I better stop...starting to drool. :P
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »
I'm with RickZ on this one.  ;D I'm no baker! I'm just a lowly cook. My Wife on the other hand...she's a baker! lol This is a very good arrangement though...balanced and all that.  ;)

She has a pumpkin pie recipe that she's been refining...MmmmMmmm! She uses black pepper in it but you'd never know that was the secret ingredient unless she told you. She also has a killer rum cake recipe...home made oreo cookies...oy, I better stop...starting to drool. :P

Italian-style rum cake?  Oo oo oo!  Will she share?

A friend recently brought me, as a gift, a "rum cake".  If the cake's base isn't made of sponge-cake layers, it's not a rum cake.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
Yes indeed Pan - yellow sponge cake is the base. She uses a tube pan for it though instead of layering the cake. But, I would think that this recipe would work just fine with layers - you'd just need to adjust it as needed! I'll go ahead and post it in a separate thread. :)
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
Yes indeed Pan - yellow sponge cake is the base. She uses a tube pan for it though instead of layering the cake. But, I would think that this recipe would work just fine with layers - you'd just need to adjust it as needed! I'll go ahead and post it in a separate thread. :)

Thank you!  Much appreciated!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"