Author Topic: Super Secret Sauce recipe  (Read 11585 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Super Secret Sauce recipe
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Mmm.

I think I'd blend in fine to the JF household if this is normal fare!

::thumbsup::

No problem given time we can Sicilianize you in short order. Yelling screaming hugging and kissing is a big part of being around us. Let's eat is the battle cry.

Heh.  Sounds good, we do a lot of that now, might be lacking only in the volume of the passion!   ;)

Two old ladies in Italy FIGHT! very funny
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
One of the most deliciously decadent things I've ever eaten was deep fried bacon on a stick at the Minnesota State Fair. It's a super-thick cut - maybe 3/8", ribboned onto a stick (like you'd see on a corn dog or caramel apple), and deep-fried in liquid bacon grease. I tasted one and got right back in line for two more.

Oh my gosh. That makes my innards hurt just thinking about it!  But then I am a lighter eater.

My daughter had chocolate covered bacon at the state fair last year. She decided it ruined the enjoyment of both--she'd rather have them on their own.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
Because of IDP I ate Cicerones at the Spanish store(who does a hell of a lunch trade)Which are no more than deep fried pork belly(uncured bacon) with the skin still on. Had to say I like them but you eat too many of those and you going to be clutching you chest real soon.

This looks like fun:

JOHNNY OAK'S DEEP FRIED PIG
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
You will need:
 6-28oz cans of tomatoes
 3-cans tomato paste
 2-med onions
 6-nice size cloves garlick
 2 med carrots
 2 table spoons dried basil
 1 table spoon parsley
 1/2 teaspoon oregano
 8-oz wine(anything not sweep)
 1- teaspoon Baking soda(yes Arm and Hammer)
  red pepper flakes to your taste.
   As for meat I clean out the freezer of any odd pieces of pork beef chicken,sausage I like hot and get it from a real Italian deli that makes it there(or do the best you can)

I always run the tomatoes through the blender on the highest setting till they're all liquid( a few seeds won't hurt anything)

Brown all the meat under the broiler and set aside.

Get a large heavy bottom pot fire up the stove(med) and get the pan hot and add your olive oil and onions and start stirring so you don't burn anything.

When the onions are soft push them to the sides of the pot and dump the garlick in the middle and in a couple of minute you will smell it cooking and at the first sign of color add the carrots right on top so you stop the garlick from browning sprinkle a little salt so the carrots give up their juices and stir it all together. At his point you may have to add a little more oil to the pot.

Once it's all soft add the tomatoes and bring them up to temp(not boiling)and add the paste and stir till it's all dissolved.

Now add the baking soda before anything else and stir. You will see it all foam up which is fine just keep stirring till it stops foaming. When that's done add all you seasonings and herbs and spices.

Bring everything to a low simmer and add your meat and let it come back to a simmer drop the stove to low and stir.

Set the timer on you stove for 10 minutes and come back and stir every ten minutes for the next hour and a half. shut it off you're done.AND NEVER ADD SUGAR TO YOU SAUCE!!!! YUK!!!

The point to adding carrots is to sweeten the sauce and the Baking soda kills all the acid in it.A lot of people don't eat sauce because the acid bothers them this is the cure for that and crappy tomatoes.

I know that it's a lot of work but we get 6 meals out of it so I only have to make it every 6 weeks so it's not that big a deal.

Any questions??

Sounds great John,
I think I'll save for the fall when we have fresh game and garden vegies.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
You only eat macaroni in the fall?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
Well, at long last I decided to give this a whirl.  It's on the stove now.  I got a late start tonight because I mowed the lawn after work and then needed time to recover from that.

Two questions cropped up:
1.  When to add the wine?  I was already well underway when I noticed that the recipe didn't say, so I added it with the spices.
2.  While it's simmering on the stove, do I cover it or not?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Well, at long last I decided to give this a whirl.  It's on the stove now.  I got a late start tonight because I mowed the lawn after work and then needed time to recover from that.

Two questions cropped up:
1.  When to add the wine?  I was already well underway when I noticed that the recipe didn't say, so I added it with the spices.
2.  While it's simmering on the stove, do I cover it or not?

Add the wine after the baking soda is done and you season everything. No no cover let it reduce a little. Let me know how it worked out please.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
I will.  I've been planning to make this for about a week, but I kept procrastinating.  I'm always a little nervous about trying a recipe for the first time.

I cut the recipe in half and used three cans of tomatoes.  That almost fills up my Dutch oven, which is the second-largest pot I have.  I have a bigger one, but I only use it to make iced tea.  The Dutch oven is nicer anyway and I want to get my money's worth out of it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:24:35 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
I will.  I've been planning to make this for about a week, but I kept procrastinating.  I'm always a little nervous about trying a recipe for the first time.

I cut the recipe in half and used three cans of tomatoes.  That almost fills up my Dutch oven, which is the second-largest pot I have.  I have a bigger one, but I only use it to make iced tea.  The Dutch oven is nicer anyway and I want to get my money's worth out of it.

Just don't forget to stir that sob. It seems that it only wants to burn.I set a time for 10 minutes to remind me.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:40 AM »
Well, it turned out fine.  Kira liked it too!  Yes, I did stir every 10 minutes. 

I got a total of 7 servings out of it, including the one I ate.  I probably could have eaten a little more, but it was late.  I froze the rest.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
Well, it turned out fine.  Kira liked it too!  Yes, I did stir every 10 minutes. 

I got a total of 7 servings out of it, including the one I ate.  I probably could have eaten a little more, but it was late.  I froze the rest.

Thanks for letting me know!!BTW I only make bacon as per you instructions and everybody likes the way it comes out better than any other way we've tried.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »
We, too, on the bacon-making.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

And promise never to buy that Jar shyt again!!
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »

I nuke bacon.  3-4 slices at 2:30 to 3:00 on high.  Place in a microwave safe plate/dish two paper towels, then the bacon, then one paper towel on top.  Comes out fine, once you know the exact time it takes (always go with less time and keep adding 5 seconds until you get it 'just right').

No oven heat, no grease spatter.  The oven method is great, though, when you are cooking large batches.  But for smaller batches, nuking is the way to go.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »

I nuke bacon.  3-4 slices at 2:30 to 3:00 on high.  Place in a microwave safe plate/dish two paper towels, then the bacon, then one paper towel on top.  Comes out fine, once you know the exact time it takes (always go with less time and keep adding 5 seconds until you get it 'just right').

No oven heat, no grease spatter.  The oven method is great, though, when you are cooking large batches.  But for smaller batches, nuking is the way to go.

In this house it's a couple of packages at a time. Small batches ::hysterical::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
I made this the other day JF, turned out quite good! I have a tomato sauce recipe but I was never really happy with it and had never taken the time to make adjustments and test it out. It was always, 'good enough' if you get my meaning. Anyway, I was in a mood for some pasta and tomato sauce and remembered this thread.

I did a few things different:

I left out the red pepper, put in 10 garlic cloves instead of 6, added a tablespoon of salt and used extra dry Vermouth instead of wine. I didn't have any meat to toss in from the freezer and I wanted to make some meatballs anyway so that is what I did. Made the meatballs, browned them in a skillet with some olive oil and then tossed them into the simmering sauce for 40 minutes. Prior to the meatballs going in, the sauce tasted like a good basic marinara. After the meatballs had added their flavor the sauce took on a much more 'meaty' and robust flavor that I rather enjoyed.

Thanx for the recipe! All-in-all I like it quite a bit better than the one I had for tomato sauce from scratch.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:42:28 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

RickZ

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
BMG,

I love recipes, both following and creating.  But the one main reason I could never work in a professional kitchen is that, to me, all recipes are suggestions.  Whenever I see green bell pepper, for example, that calls for an immediate switch over to sweet red, yellow, or orange (depending on the dish; all three if making sausage and peppers).

I may keep the same ingredients in a recipe time after time, but nothing ever comes out quite the same twice.  Close?  Yes.  But not a standard taste/flavor.  That's why I like experimenting, or putting a lot of food in my food (as a certain unnamed moderator residing in a location between Tierra del Fuego and Point Barrow says).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 02:51:26 AM »
*ahem*

I can hear you.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »
Quite correct RickZ.  ;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »
Quite correct RickZ.  ;D

Glad you like it. But adjusting recipes is part of cooking,that's why they're called recipes and not formulas.
 Filippo Mazzie