Author Topic: Super Secret Sauce recipe  (Read 11573 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Super Secret Sauce recipe
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
 You will need:
 6-28oz cans of tomatoes
 3-cans tomato paste
 2-med onions
 6-nice size cloves garlick
 2 med carrots
 2 table spoons dried basil
 1 table spoon parsley
 1/2 teaspoon oregano
 8-oz wine(anything not sweep)
 1- teaspoon Baking soda(yes Arm and Hammer)
  red pepper flakes to your taste.
   As for meat I clean out the freezer of any odd pieces of pork beef chicken,sausage I like hot and get it from a real Italian deli that makes it there(or do the best you can)

I always run the tomatoes through the blender on the highest setting till they're all liquid( a few seeds won't hurt anything)

Brown all the meat under the broiler and set aside.

Get a large heavy bottom pot fire up the stove(med) and get the pan hot and add your olive oil and onions and start stirring so you don't burn anything.

When the onions are soft push them to the sides of the pot and dump the garlick in the middle and in a couple of minute you will smell it cooking and at the first sign of color add the carrots right on top so you stop the garlick from browning sprinkle a little salt so the carrots give up their juices and stir it all together. At his point you may have to add a little more oil to the pot.

Once it's all soft add the tomatoes and bring them up to temp(not boiling)and add the paste and stir till it's all dissolved.

Now add the baking soda before anything else and stir. You will see it all foam up which is fine just keep stirring till it stops foaming. When that's done add all you seasonings and herbs and spices.

Bring everything to a low simmer and add your meat and let it come back to a simmer drop the stove to low and stir.

Set the timer on you stove for 10 minutes and come back and stir every ten minutes for the next hour and a half. shut it off you're done.AND NEVER ADD SUGAR TO YOU SAUCE!!!! YUK!!!

The point to adding carrots is to sweeten the sauce and the Baking soda kills all the acid in it.A lot of people don't eat sauce because the acid bothers them this is the cure for that and crappy tomatoes.

I know that it's a lot of work but we get 6 meals out of it so I only have to make it every 6 weeks so it's not that big a deal.

Any questions??

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

Re: Super Secret Sauce recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:46:59 PM »

Thanks,

not yet.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »
You said "we" get 6 meals out of it.  How many meals is that for one person?

Six 28 oz. cans of tomatoes sounds like an awful lot.  And how much meat?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »
You said "we" get 6 meals out of it.  How many meals is that for one person?

Six 28 oz. cans of tomatoes sounds like an awful lot.  And how much meat?

There are two of us here if you like you can adjust it for 4 cans and cut everything back 1/3 and you should end up with 4 meals. We freeze it in zip lock bags because it lays flat and doesn't take up a lot of room. As for the meat we figure two meatballs and two sausages for each meal. But as long as I'm cooking I put in more meat than it needs because we also like the meat in sandwiches and we can sneak a couple more meals out of the same work.

Some nights we just don't feel like cooking so we nuke the meat and have sandwiches and salad and it works out fine and we don't eat processed food.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
I hate to be a pest, but:

What temperature and for how long?

The carrots and baking soda sound like a great idea.  The acid in the store-bought sauce bothers me too.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »

The carrots and baking soda sound like a great idea.  The acid in the store-bought sauce bothers me too.

The broiler in my oven doesn't have a temp setting,it's just broil. I don't have a time because the closer you put the oven rack the faster it browns. I don't put it on the highest spot but rather two down from the top so it doesn't brown too fast. Time is subject to you oven.

But you just keep an eye on it so it just gets some color you don't want it dark brown you're just trying to get a light brown color cause it cooks in the sauce.

If the acid bothers you, you will like this much better. If you watch the texture of the sauce it actually changes when you add the baking soda. As a matter of fact after you take it out of the freezer you will add a little water to it to thin it out as it thickens up even more in the freezer.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »

The meat doesn't necessarily need to be done in the broiler, rickl; you can brown it in a frying pan on the stove instead and just move it to the pot with the tomatoes when it's finished.  You brown the meat first because if you just put it raw into the pot, it looks sorta gray-ish after it's cooked instead of nicely browned and because you end up with a lot of meat grease in your tomatoes.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:11:50 PM »

The meat doesn't necessarily need to be done in the broiler, rickl; you can brown it in a frying pan on the stove instead and just move it to the pot with the tomatoes when it's finished.  You brown the meat first because if you just put it raw into the pot, it looks sorta gray-ish after it's cooked instead of nicely browned and because you end up with a lot of meat grease in your tomatoes.

I would rather fry but it's healthier to broil.And we all want to do the right thing don't we? Even if we don't want to.If I had my way I would eat fried oil!!But the hawk is gonna bitch and I don't want that do I.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »

I would rather fry but it's healthier to broil.And we all want to do the right thing don't we? Even if we don't want to.If I had my way I would eat fried oil!!But the hawk is gonna bitch and I don't want that do I.

Feh.  Healthier?  Who sez and why would that be?  As long as the fattier meat is put in the pan first, there's no need to add any other oil and the fat is rendered off everything anyway.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »
Re; carrots & onions... how finely to chop/mince?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
...If I had my way I would eat fried oil!...

Not to take the thread on a tangent, but your comment re; fried oil spurred a thought... One of the most deliciously decadent things I've ever eaten was deep fried bacon on a stick at the Minnesota State Fair. It's a super-thick cut - maybe 3/8", ribboned onto a stick (like you'd see on a corn dog or caramel apple), and deep-fried in liquid bacon grease. I tasted one and got right back in line for two more.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
Re; carrots & onions... how finely to chop/mince?

Onions are rough chop because they will vanish in the cooking process but the carrots I grate on a box grater so the vanish too.The slow fry in the beginning softens them up so as you stir EVERY TEN MINUTES the meat and heat just cooks them so you can't hardly find them.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »

Not to take the thread on a tangent, but your comment re; fried oil spurred a thought... One of the most deliciously decadent things I've ever eaten was deep fried bacon on a stick at the Minnesota State Fair. It's a super-thick cut - maybe 3/8", ribboned onto a stick (like you'd see on a corn dog or caramel apple), and deep-fried in liquid bacon grease. I tasted one and got right back in line for two more.

See that's what I'm talking about!! But we both know that it's bad for us but how the hell do you pass up on it as long as the Queens doesn't let us have it right there and then.(and she's right)
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

See that's what I'm talking about!! But we both know that it's bad for us but how the hell do you pass up on it as long as the Queens doesn't let us have it right there and then.(and she's right)

It's why God invented Lipitor, my friend!
 ::cool:: ::whoohoo:: ::bows::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »

It's why God invented Lipitor, my friend!
 ::cool:: ::whoohoo:: ::bows::

Hell I'm 59 years old and still get away with most anything I want to eat.I'll broil the damned meat for sauce as long as I can have my Porter house and N.Y. strip steaks a couple of times a week.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 06:34:28 AM »
Mmm.

I think I'd blend in fine to the JF household if this is normal fare!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 06:41:55 AM »
Mmm.

Just watched that cute movie, "Ratatouille" again the other night; "Anybody can cook".

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 07:48:48 AM »
Mmm.

Just watched that cute movie, "Ratatouille" again the other night; "Anybody can cook".

If you enjoy eating cooking is a breeze.The Rat in the kitchen is out.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 07:51:02 AM »
Mmm.

No problem given time we can Sicilianize you in short order. Yelling screaming hugging and kissing is a big part of being around us. Let's eat is the battle cry.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
Mmm.

No problem given time we can Sicilianize you in short order. Yelling screaming hugging and kissing is a big part of being around us. Let's eat is the battle cry.

Heh.  Sounds good, we do a lot of that now, might be lacking only in the volume of the passion!   ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.