Author Topic: Country Music Singer George Jones, 81  (Read 2230 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Country Music Singer George Jones, 81
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
George Jones, 81

Every story about country singer George Jones seemed like a myth, but they were all true. Yes, he really did drive a lawnmower to the liquor store after his wife took the car keys. Yes, someone did slash him in the stomach with a straight razor when he was 20 years old. Yes, he flushed thousands of dollars down the toilet, just because. Yes, he tried to rip Porter Wagoner’s penis off in a restroom, also just because. No one was as much of a sh*t-kicker as George Jones, so, to put it bluntly like he would, it f*cking sucks that he passed away this morning.

[blockquote]George Jones, the definitive country singer of the last half-century, died Friday at a hospital in Nashville. He was 81. He was hospitalized on April 18 with fever and irregular blood pressure, the Web site of Webster & Associates, his publicists, said in announcing the death.

Jones, who was nicknamed Possum for his close-set eyes and pointed nose, and later No-Show Jones for the concerts he missed during drinking and drug binges, was a legendary figure in country music. His singing, which was universally respected and widely imitated, found vulnerability and doubt behind the cheerful drive of honky-tonk. With a baritone voice that was as elastic as a steel-guitar string, he brought suspense to every syllable, merging bluesy slides with the tight, quivering ornaments of Appalachian singing.[/blockquote]

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: Country Music Singer George Jones, 81
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
When I was just a teen, my uncle Rick and I took a trip together and we had a tape of George Jones, singing this song. By the time we got home, we could practically sing it word for word all the way through. Then when we got to his house, his wife had left him while we were away. The song was prophetic in a sense, because he never got over it, eventually drinking himself to death.  For the record, she was not worth it.

But, It brings great sadness to see George Jones go. Just one more milestone on the march of life passing by.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »

He died early in life, on the morning of April 26, 2013, at the age of 81. 
That's what too much liquor will do to a fella'.

George Jones - The one i loved back then

Rest in peace, George.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »
Many moons ago, when I was single and hopping bars, I was in an establishment trying to sweet talk this little thing. She went to the bathroom and upon her return screamed "GUESS WHO'S HERE?" Being as I didn't really care but wanted to keep her attention, I was obliged to asked "Who?". She mentioned George Jones. I scanned the building (rather large) and didn't see him any where. She said "He's over there with his bodyguards". I had to stand on my bar stool to look over the goons, but sure enough, standing there....well, he was almost standing. More like supporting the wall....was 'Possum himself. Evidently he had consumed even more alcohol than I. Since that was my only Jones sighting, I'll have to carry that for the rest of my life.

He sure did know how to make a man cry in his beer. RIP, George.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
Many moons ago, when I was single and hopping bars, I was in an establishment trying to sweet talk this little thing. She went to the bathroom and upon her return screamed "GUESS WHO'S HERE?" Being as I didn't really care but wanted to keep her attention, I was obliged to asked "Who?". She mentioned George Jones. I scanned the building (rather large) and didn't see him any where. She said "He's over there with his bodyguards". I had to stand on my bar stool to look over the goons, but sure enough, standing there....well, he was almost standing. More like supporting the wall....was 'Possum himself. Evidently he had consumed even more alcohol than I. Since that was my only Jones sighting, I'll have to carry that for the rest of my life.

Well don't leave us in suspense! What happened with the chick?   ::pimp::
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »

Well don't leave us in suspense! What happened with the chick?   ::pimp::

It lasted about a year. I know you're let down. ::hysterical::

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
Heh, good story.   ::thumbsup::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/26/179274101/when-clarence-thomas-wrote-to-george-jones

So next time someone asks you, "What do Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Keith Richards and Elvis Costello have in common?" you know the answer: All of them are big fans of George Jones.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:39:26 AM »
Well, don't that beat all?!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »
Well, don't that beat all?!   ::thumbsup::

No doubt. Learn something new every day.

Thomas Jefferson