Author Topic: Senate passes internet sales tax bill amid opposition from conservatives  (Read 1167 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The bill passed the Senate by 70 votes to 24 ... faces second test in the House ...

... where internet retailers and conservatives are already lobbying against the tax. House leaders have yet to schedule hearings or votes on their version of the measure.

The legislation would overturn a 1992 supreme court ruling that said a state could not force a retailer to collect sales tax unless the retailer had a physical presence in the state.

SONSabitchez!  In the interest of fairness! to the rent-seeking bastids.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Sell your stock in Amazon.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero

You kidding? Amazon loves it.  It will keep all of those little upstarts that can't handle the compliance costs.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero

You kidding? Amazon loves it.  It will keep all of those little upstarts that can't handle the compliance costs.

OK...Sell your stock in E bay and aviod those companies which support another tax.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Oh hell, why stop with this? I think they should apply sales tax from every single jurisdiction a package passes through on its way to you. After all, it's only fair when the tax is 100% for everyone for everything.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
...because the economy is humming along like gangbusters...  ::saywhat::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

As does Walmart.  eBay is fighting it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
eBay has a petition - I signed it.

Turbin the Dick was whining that people were "sightseeing" (I don't think that's the term he used) where someone would check out the merchandise in a brick & mortar and then buy it online. I'm now doing the same in essence with amazon. I'll research what I want and then buy it from someone else.

Screw them!

charlesoakwood

It's got to pass in the house.
                                         Oh, Johnny be good and kill it.
                                                                                    ::hahahahahahahah::

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
eBay has a petition - I signed it.

Turbin the Dick was whining that people were "sightseeing" (I don't think that's the term he used) where someone would check out the merchandise in a brick & mortar and then buy it online. I'm now doing the same in essence with amazon. I'll research what I want and then buy it from someone else.

Screw them!

Isn't that capitalism?  Buying from the guy that offers the best price?
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I would give them the Internet sales tax AND a national sales tax in exchange for the abolition of the federal income tax.

You know the conservative wing of the House GOP is going to oppose this. SO why not oppose it with some flair. Give 'em sumpt'n to talk about.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

When Clinton was going after guns Dole offered a compromise and offered to deliver. ...change the antique age date to 1918, they SAB.  Sob Sister is not that clever.  Oh, it just occurred, that's really a clue to their ultimate goal.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Hello underground economy, stick it to the tax man!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Ted Cruz Why I Oppose the Internet Tax Bill at RCP, 5/05/13.

“How is it fair for a Texas business to collect taxes to support California Gov. Jerry Brown’s big spending? Or to underwrite New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s nanny statism or Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s anti-Second Amendment agenda?”

Well, Ted, if the house passes it (whew) we'll just have to do our buying in Red States.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
From a discussion of this subject at Ann Althouse's blog comes this comment:

You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for.

No you didn't. You're not from Texas.

You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate.

You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for.

You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory.

Yes I do. But you ain't invisible.

Heh.  I like it.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Top it all off and say these small businesses already pay income taxes in most of these states and a federal income tax on top of that so yes the states already collect enough taxes on these small businesses. If you cannot understand the concept of walking through a marsh and being latched onto by hundreds of leeches well then your head is stuck up yer butt.

This folks is the concept of a VAT and they can't pass that in the current climate so this is the next best thing.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The libiots don't care if the Pubbies help them get this through...if they do, fine, more tax revenue to piss down ratholes, if not they get to hit up their fat-wallet big box store contributors for 2016 and beat the GOPer's senseless with ads 24/7...

If the Pubbies had any sense and any stones they'd trot out a bill of their own and call it the "Small Business Protection Act" that does the exact opposite of the libiots on every issue, not just taxes...and follow it up with solicitations for help in defeating the libiot agenda...

But what we'll get is none of the sense and stones and all of the begging...

Face it, the GOP is f**ked.  And they did it to themselves.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

And I don't see them unf**king themselves in my lifetime.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
The libiots don't care if the Pubbies help them get this through...if they do, fine, more tax revenue to piss down ratholes, if not they get to hit up their fat-wallet big box store contributors for 2016 and beat the GOPer's senseless with ads 24/7...

If the Pubbies had any sense and any stones they'd trot out a bill of their own and call it the "Small Business Protection Act" that does the exact opposite of the libiots on every issue, not just taxes...and follow it up with solicitations for help in defeating the libiot agenda...

But what we'll get is none of the sense and stones and all of the begging...

How about a bill called the "Big Business Protection Act"
Nothing gets a leftist upset more than pinning the blame on "Big Whatever" What I'm saying is re-title the bill to reflect it's true nature and sponsors. We'll see hten how many will fall on their sword. ::effu::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
And what always irritates me whenever these cries for "fairness" come up is how everyone is totally conditioned to accept the premise that the most onerous and restrictive must necessarily form the baseline for the proposed "fair" arrangement. So big box retailers have to collect sales tax, and this allegedly puts them at a competitive disadvantage vis-a-vis the online out of state retailers? Well why is the answer to slap a punitive tax on the other guy? Why is the question never "Why are we being taxed so much to do face to face business in this jurisdiction?" It's always "Why aren't the online retailers paying as much as we are?"  It's total conditioning, and it goes almost totally unquestioned.

What's next? If you go to another state are they going to start having to check IDs for every purchase, because how is buying something in a lower tax state any different? I live close enough to South Carolina that I try to buy gas there whenever possible, because it's cheaper. Should SC gas stations now be required to check the state of residence of everyone who pulls up to the pump and make sure they're assessing the gasoline tax from that state? Madness! People have to remember it is not the consumer who is technically the taxed party, it's the business selling the goods. It is customary to add this directly to the price, but it's still the business who is technically the one paying the tax. So what we have is a proposal where a business in one state is now subject to the taxing powers of a jurisdiction in an entirely different state, a jurisdiction where that business owner has no political representation whatsoever.

Here's an alternate proposal that would immediately put the lie to their "fairness" argument. Just say that online retailers have to start collecting sales tax for whatever jurisdiction the retailer is based in, rather than where the customer is. That would make it just like a tourist buying from a store in another state. I think that would go over like a lead balloon, because it would only end up benefiting a handful of relatively pro-business states where so many of the big retailers are based.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly