Author Topic: Anyone Recognize this?  (Read 984 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Anyone Recognize this?
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
Does anyone recognize or know the literary significance of this location?

Very High Praise for anyone who guesses without looking it up. Its a toughy, however,  and I am not sure how esoteric my interest is in this regard. However  I was just reading this book to the kids for the first time since I read it as a child  and I realized the technology now exists to let me virtually  visit the setting of the story.  

.. here is a Google Maps link However you will get it faster ( and enjoy it more) if you use Google Earth and turn on Photos under layers.

Also note this Map is pretty much as it appears in the book, with North on the Left side, but missing some labeling that would probably make it too easy.

This may make it WAY to easy, but click here to get a Google Earth KML file you can download
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:43:09 PM by Weisshaupt »

charlesoakwood

Re: Anyone Recognize this?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »

Well, it's close to Bankside but I doubt that's it. 
I stand a better chance with PGP.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Well, I have never read the book but from one of the photos I am pretty sure that I know which one it is. Starts with a W?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »
Well, I have never read the book but from one of the photos I am pretty sure that I know which one it is. Starts with a W?

Yeppers

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:29:32 AM »
Thought so. I'll leave it to someone who's read it to figure it out and name it. There are certainly enough clues now.

I remember my brother reading it. I suppose the closest I ever got to it (as far as fiction genres) was "The Hobbit" and that's not really very close.

Or maybe "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" but that's not close, either.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:20:35 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
All I can say for sure is it's not down da bayou.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
Okay,  my love of this book is probably just unique to me .. and once again, the internet serves -as someone else already did what I thought of doing..

The Google Earth Guide to all locations in the story

Wish I had found that before I begin reading to the Kids. I think they might have enjoyed following along on the map in their kindles from the beginning. Oh well, they can do it for the second half.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »

No "ma cher amio" for sure.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Okay, it's "Watership Down" There, I said it. C'mon, people...it was a mystery to be solved...get into the spirit of it.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »
Okay, it's "Watership Down" There, I said it. C'mon, people...it was a mystery to be solved...get into the spirit of it.

Maybe I am the only one who read it.  It's an unusual book  in that its a 400 page  story about rabbits, written at the middle school level.  Its now standard fare in Schools, but when I was a kid, it was passed around and read by peer review.  I was just a bit tickled I could find it in Google Earth .

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
I must confess that I couldn't identify the image or tie it to the book (which I did read - about 400 years ago). Having looked it up on the web (I couldn't help myself ;-) I was honor-bound not to disclose any details.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!