Topics > TEOTWAWKI

Advice from the Bosnian Teotwawki

(1/4) > >>

Weisshaupt:
Read the whole thing

Predator Don:
Ok.....I'm not armed enough. I liked the idea of small items to trade, like the lighters. Guns and sanitation, that's the ticket.

Glock32:
Alcohol too. That is an extremely versatile trade good. Always in demand. It can also double as an antiseptic for field medicine.

trapeze:
Interesting.

I am somewhat late to the prepper movement but am well along the way now. I have mostly completed my storeroom structure and have been working on filling it several days per week. My storeroom is located below grade and I don't think the temperature ever gets above 70F in the summer. In the winter it is between 55F and 60F so pretty good for storage. Plus, zero sunlight so that's good, too. A few more shelves and then redo the lighting and get a decent lock on the door and I will be there.

A trip to the grocery store for anything at all will usually end up with several items that go into the storeroom. I am putting away grocery store items for what I think of as near term storage...stuff that can be used on a day to day basis and can therefore be rotated continuously to ensure relative freshness. But I am also putting away things which have a very long shelf life such as rice, sugar, honey, etc. in large quantities so that they could be used for survival if needed. Then there are the #10 cans of freeze dried stuff...anytime I go to Walmart I pick up 2 or 3 cans to add to my collection. And since I drink a lot of diet soft drinks in 2-liter bottles I have a fairly good source of free storage containers for things like rice, beans, sugar, potato flakes, macaroni, etc.

Along with the food items are hygiene items such as toothpaste, soap, etc. and then there are various other things like batteries and cans of propane for my camping stove.

I have to admit that I do enjoy storing distilled alcohol products because they never go bad and I look forward to consuming them at some point. I figure that I might as well buy the good stuff so that I can use it myself whenever I feel like it. A couple of years ago I scavenged a small wine rack from a liquor store that was going out of business. It holds about two hundred and fifty bottles and I'm closing in on the one hundred bottle mark...mostly wine but as I said, I'm working harder on distilled stuff now.

I have got to get going on water, too. I have a 50 gallon storage tank (most people do in the form of the water heater) but I am going to eventually have about 500 gallons of drinking water on site. Also have a super water filter on my list. We live in an area where there are streams and lakes plus there is snow on the ground a lot of the year so filtration needs to be part of the strategy.

I have a pretty good collection of firearms and ammunition but I am always looking to add to it whenever it makes sense.

I am pretty convinced that things are going to go south at some point because "unsustainable" does mean something to me. So, yeah, I'm thinking economic collapse of one sort or another is kind of unavoidable. May as well be ready for it.

Libertas:
Need more antibiotics, when even a scratch can get infected... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version