Author Topic: is there any such thing as a 20" AR anymore?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
is there any such thing as a 20" AR anymore?
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:01 AM »
Is it just me, or is anyone else a bit tired of how everything is a carbine now? Yes, I know the M4 is now the standard issue in the Army and that naturally drives the tastes of the "tacticool" civilian shooting community, but I'm just a bit weary of how every AR you see for the past several years is a carbine.

I just want a plain, KISS rifle that is a close approximation of the M16A1 or A2, with the original 20 inch barrel. I don't think anyone even makes complete rifles like this anymore, apparently. Everything I can find is a carbine with rails on every millimeter of it. It's about enough to just make me want to give up on the whole AR peashooter and just go to something in .308 like the M1A or FAL.

I believe the Commandant of the Marine Corps was quoted as saying, in response to a question about the Corps issuing the M16A4 rather than the Army's M4, "the carbine is an extension of the pistol, not a reduction of the rifle".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: is there any such thing as a 20" AR anymore?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Is it just me, or is anyone else a bit tired of how everything is a carbine now? Yes, I know the M4 is now the standard issue in the Army and that naturally drives the tastes of the "tacticool" civilian shooting community, but I'm just a bit weary of how every AR you see for the past several years is a carbine.

I just want a plain, KISS rifle that is a close approximation of the M16A1 or A2, with the original 20 inch barrel. I don't think anyone even makes complete rifles like this anymore, apparently. Everything I can find is a carbine with rails on every millimeter of it. It's about enough to just make me want to give up on the whole AR peashooter and just go to something in .308 like the M1A or FAL.

I believe the Commandant of the Marine Corps was quoted as saying, in response to a question about the Corps issuing the M16A4 rather than the Army's M4, "the carbine is an extension of the pistol, not a reduction of the rifle".

RRA has'em long barreled. My AR has a long barrel on it that bought at pawn shop for cheap. Military dude sold it, we bought it. Here, I got one for you friend, http://www.onlylongrange.com/bn36.asp.
In the process of buying one right now. 22 inch barrel, traditional .30-06 cartridge. Like a 21st century BAR
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »
Isn't the FAL gonna cost a few more sheckels?  Both are comparable is size and weight I think.  Never fired either one, would be fun to do though! 

21st Century BAR, sounds kinda neat Warpmine!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:33 AM »
Isn't the FAL gonna cost a few more sheckels?  Both are comparable is size and weight I think.  Never fired either one, would be fun to do though! 

21st Century BAR, sounds kinda neat Warpmine!

Gonna be great...only eight LBS to. BAR was heavy with the wood stock and all.
My brother has a Sig 716 .308 but only 16 inch barrel which i don't like or I'd have one myself already. Thing weighs over 10 LBS all because of the piston actuated extraction system which is guaranteed never to get hot but I didn't like the short barrel and the .308 cartridge.

charlesoakwood

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
Here, I got one for you friend, http://www.onlylongrange.com/bn36.asp.
In the process of buying one right now. 22 inch barrel, traditional .30-06 cartridge. Like a 21st century BAR

That is a very nice and affordable rifle. I like that it can be chambered for some less exotic (and less expensive) rounds. I didn't see anywhere on the page where the effective range is listed. Since you are getting one I assume that you know what it is. So...how many yards out will it go and still be on paper?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »

That is a very nice and affordable rifle. I like that it can be chambered for some less exotic (and less expensive) rounds. I didn't see anywhere on the page where the effective range is listed. Since you are getting one I assume that you know what it is. So...how many yards out will it go and still be on paper?
I've yet to see one on the tube being fired but hey, these people manufacturing it has a nice motto so....
I don't believe I can fins a place around my way to test it either.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »

I've yet to see one on the tube being fired but hey, these people manufacturing it has a nice motto so....
I don't believe I can fins a place around my way to test it either. If it's anything close to this as far as accuracy, it will be fine <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ciFi-1YYdM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

My browser will not open http://www.onlylongrange.com/bn36.asp.
Message as follows:   The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.   ?

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 06:17:24 PM »

My browser will not open http://www.onlylongrange.com/bn36.asp.
Message as follows:   The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.   ?

Damn, you be right. I checked it out and it worked before and during posting. Let me see......https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ciFi-1YYdM

1000 yds paper and 900 beast

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
I think I found the one I want: Bravo Company A4

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 06:44:45 AM »
She looks lean and sweet!   ::thumbsup::

By the itemized list of details she looks well built too! 

I reckon those don't come cheap, eh?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
I'm not sure, actually.  I found some discussion of it on gun forums and people were saying the MSRP is around $1100, but that was posted before the mass buying.  If that's still an accurate price I consider it a good deal.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
That would be a very good deal if still listed at that price!