Topics > The Departed

"The Doors" Ray Manzarek, 74

(1/2) > >>

IronDioPriest:
I never appreciated The Doors until many years after the death of Morrison. In fact, Oliver Stone's treatment of Morrison's life and death might be just about the only thing of value he ever did in my opinion. The film introduced me fresh to the music in context of Stone's interpretation of the times, and the combination plus Kilmer's portrayal gave me appreciation for the music.

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founding member of rock group The Doors, dies at 74 from cancer

trapeze:
I have all of the original issue vinyl albums including the "LA Woman" LP with the yellow cellophane window but I haven't made an effort to listen to their stuff in years. I guess I just got tired of and fed up with the whole "Morrison is a genius poet thing." I liked their pop singles, though.

Glock32:
A great organ solo in Light My Fire. A somewhat little known fact is they did not use a real organ. They were using an early type of synthesizer.

Libertas:
Morrison faked his own death and is living outside of Paris, well I heard that somewhere...

ToddF:
Manzarek thought the worst of Stone because of the movie.  Go figure.

The organ was known as a Combo Organ.  It's electronic but I don't know if that qualifies as a synth.  It just makes the one cheesy sounding tone, where an early synth takes up a wall...note Keith Emerson's Moog.

No doubt Manzarek was an original.  That whole sound he created (along with the electric piano "bass") was like nothing before or sense.

RIP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version