Author Topic: "The Doors" Ray Manzarek, 74  (Read 2121 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"The Doors" Ray Manzarek, 74
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »
I never appreciated The Doors until many years after the death of Morrison. In fact, Oliver Stone's treatment of Morrison's life and death might be just about the only thing of value he ever did in my opinion. The film introduced me fresh to the music in context of Stone's interpretation of the times, and the combination plus Kilmer's portrayal gave me appreciation for the music.

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founding member of rock group The Doors, dies at 74 from cancer

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: "The Doors" Ray Manzarek, 74
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »
I have all of the original issue vinyl albums including the "LA Woman" LP with the yellow cellophane window but I haven't made an effort to listen to their stuff in years. I guess I just got tired of and fed up with the whole "Morrison is a genius poet thing." I liked their pop singles, though.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »
A great organ solo in Light My Fire. A somewhat little known fact is they did not use a real organ. They were using an early type of synthesizer.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:05 AM »
Morrison faked his own death and is living outside of Paris, well I heard that somewhere...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
Manzarek thought the worst of Stone because of the movie.  Go figure.

The organ was known as a Combo Organ.  It's electronic but I don't know if that qualifies as a synth.  It just makes the one cheesy sounding tone, where an early synth takes up a wall...note Keith Emerson's Moog.

No doubt Manzarek was an original.  That whole sound he created (along with the electric piano "bass") was like nothing before or sense.

RIP

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
Not to dis Manzarek, but I never liked his sound. I was raised on Booker T. Jones (Booker T and the MG's), Jon Lord (Deep Purple), and Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake, And Palmer) - all masters of the Hammond organ. By contrast, Manzarek only had one tone and it leaned toward screechy. He did have great riffs though and he did his best to keep Morrison from floating out into outer space.

Rest in peace Ray

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »

Do you know why? I can guess (Stone lies) but I've never heard that tidbit before.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
Because he lies.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »

The organ was known as a Combo Organ.  It's electronic but I don't know if that qualifies as a synth.  It just makes the one cheesy sounding tone, where an early synth takes up a wall...note Keith Emerson's Moog.

No doubt Manzarek was an original.  That whole sound he created (along with the electric piano "bass") was like nothing before or sense.

RIP

Yeah it was in that period between the 50s and late 60s when pseudo-synthesizers were paving the way for later electronic instruments. I'd consider it a synthesizer in the sense that it used transistors to generate an analog waveform. There's some electrical engineering concept, additive/deductive frequency modulation that I think it used, which isn't quite like the oscillator a "true" synth would later use. Pretty neat instrument though. I bet a vintage one commands a serious price nowadays.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly