Author Topic: Fundamental knots everyone should know  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Fundamental knots everyone should know
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
One fundamental skill for any TEOTWAWKI scenario is an ability to tie the right knots for the right applications, and good rope skill in general.  I have lately been practicing knots, my interest piqued when I had a situation where I needed to bundle some small tree limbs I had cut up. I remembered being frustrated in the past at finding a knot that would hold the bundle together tightly enough, so I did some web searching and learned how to tie a nifty self-cinching knot called a Canadian Jam Knot.  It is easy to tie and worked perfectly.

That's what got me interested in learning some other knots.  Anyhow I came across this really cool app for iPhone and iPad for $4.99 and thought I'd share it here.  It is a library of knots broken down by intended use, type of knot, etc, and shows very clear pictures step by step. Basically it's like the knot section of a scouting manual but for your smartphone. Check it out:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animated-knots-by-grog/id376302649

And here's the Canadian Jam Knot if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-GHDkBnXU
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Fundamental knots everyone should know
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »
That's a great app. Before it was an app, it was just a website. I've had the fishing section bookmarked for a couple years. The animation is sooooooo handy. Good stuff.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson