Author Topic: Christmas (tax) in July  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Christmas (tax) in July
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »
I had forgotten about the attempted tax on Christmas trees.  Well, it's back.  More rent-seeking behavior from special commercial interests.

Remember back in 2011 when President Obama tried to impose a Christmas tree tax? It would have imposed a federal tax on the tree you buy to — no joke — fund marketing to promote the image and sale of Christmas trees. After Heritage Foundation expert David Addington exposed this ridiculous effort, President Obama issued a stay of the tax.

Well, it turns out the Christmas tree tax is back — and it’s in this year’s farm bill.

The House Agriculture Committee approved an amendment to its farm bill that would impose Obama’s Christmas tree tax. This tax, pushed by the Christmas tree industry itself, would punish those in the industry who do not comply with industry standards. Essentially, they are asking the government to do their dirty work. And the  government, after facing a serious backlash the first time around, has found a sneaky new way to slip this tax into law via the farm bill.

But not everyone in the industry agrees with the tax, Heritage’s Daren Bakst explains:

After significant backlash, in large part due to the efforts of The Heritage Foundation, the Obama Administration backed away from imposing this tax . . . There are many Christmas tree producers and importers that don’t want this new tax. Based on the comments received by the Department of Agriculture regarding the program, about 26 percent of the commenters opposed it. If producers and importers oppose the tax, they will still have no choice but to pay it.

Furthermore, it’s a tax on consumers. As if Christmas weren’t expensive enough! Bakst continues:

The new costs will be passed down to those who buy Christmas trees. The National Christmas Tree Association has claimed the extra costs wouldn’t be passed on to consumers. Maybe they were just in the Christmas spirit when they said this or had too much eggnog, but businesses don’t usually eat costs for no reason, especially businesses like Christmas tree producers who think they need government help to improve their bottom line.

http://www.myheritage.org/news/christmas-in-july-not-if-the-farm-bill-gets-through
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Christmas (tax) in July
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
God, how I hate this government. It's time for it to be destroyed. If we ever have another shot at a constitution, it must proactively safeguard against such a leviathan ever rising again. Something like a constitutional amendment against a single dollar being controlled by DC outside the military and funding the activities of the three constitutional branches. And a constitutional amendment against the existence of unelected federal bureaucracies.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »
Is there one friggin thing we do or buy that isn't taxed?!  It. never. stops.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »

Hookers.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

Hookers.

Don't worry.  Prostitution will not only be made legal, licensed and taxed  before Obama leaves office, and there will be a middle school class to teach proper hooking technique to your daughter. or granddaughter.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »

Hookers.

Don't worry.  Prostitution will not only be made legal, licensed and taxed  before Obama leaves office, and there will be a middle school class to teach proper hooking technique to your daughter. or granddaughter.

Shouldn't that be free under Obamacare? It's fairly obvious that it's therapeutic. The govt will clean up, pardon the pun, tax on condom, disposal fee, motel tax, linen cleaning tax. ::hysterical::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »

Hookers.

Shouldn't that be free under Obamacare? It's fairly obvious that it's therapeutic. The govt will clean up, pardon the pun, tax on condom, disposal fee, motel tax, linen cleaning tax. ::hysterical::

Probably covered that at that several million dollar IRS "training" escapade I bet.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
I hate the thought of it, but I see an artificial tree in our future if this goes through. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »
I hate the thought of it, but I see an artificial tree in our future if this goes through. 

We have come to the conclusion it is either an artificial or no tree at all. We will hang stockings, the wife has all sorts of Santa's she uses to decorate and a few other things.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »
I like being ahead of the curve when I can...I gave up trees entirely several years ago, went with more modest decorations.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »

We have come to the conclusion it is either an artificial or no tree at all. We will hang stockings, the wife has all sorts of Santa's she uses to decorate and a few other things.

I may have to start observing Christmas again just so I can be defiant of the bass turds and their bloody taxes  ::evil::