Author Topic: Local Activism  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Local Activism
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »
I thought I'd add an ongoing thread into the mix. What are you doing on the local level to advance the cause of conservatism? For years I was a "Reliable Republican" - which meant that I voted. And damned little else.

I started posting on blogs or discussion sites in 2002 - post 9/11. I attended my first rally in 2004 after the governorship in my state was stolen by the dhimmicraps. I volunteered for a campaign in 2008 and have volunteered on at least one campaign every cycle since.

This season I'm trying to get a Conservative elected mayor in my town. My time is limited due to work requirements but I do what I can. Today I volunteered my PA for a rally. It was interesting "work" and I'm happy (but tired!) to be able to assist.

Are any of y'all going to do any grassroots this year?

charlesoakwood

Re: Local Activism
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »

What an excellent way to end run the establishment rino's.
There is always something low budget candidates need.
And you are a lot closer to their ear than to the PTB's. ...ever

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:23 AM »
I've only given money to causes and candidates, and spent time during election seasons manning the phones and doing lit-drops. I go to rallies occasionally just to add another body of support.

I admire those citizen activists (like the woman testifying before congress this past week) for really sinking their teeth in and putting all they have into the cause. Perhaps we all ought to think about ways to up our game. I've no excuses for having been limited to the activities mentioned above, except to say that here in Wright County, conservatism is the default, so the activist community here are mostly Paulites. I don't have anything against associating with Paulites, but I can't pretend to be on board with helping them do whatever it is that Paulites do.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »
My experience as a delegate last year indicates that what IDP says about Wright County is also true about Anoka County...there are a lot of PaulBots, and they stole the show...I am not opposed to all of the Paulite Agenda, but whatever...I think where conservative candidates were selected the candidates did well, but where the candidates selected were PaulBotian...not so much.

For me it has come down to picking the right battles.  I want the best candidate I can get to replace Bachmann, I want to have the best State Sen & Rep I can get.  Emmer is OK, State Sen is OK but did some baby-splitting I don't care for, he could be challenged so I'll have to watch that...state Rep is an Old Guard GOP moderate who we tried to replace last year and got close and perhaps this time around we can replace that crap.  So I'll decide what to do and how as the situation develops.

And as always I'll financially support candidates anywhere in the nation as long as they are fighting for the kind of liberty we all here cherish.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
I can't find anyone to support in Tennessee. They are all dicks. I've found it beneficial attending some of the local town meetings as they attempt to force more taxes on our town. I have a large customer base. I remind the mayor and the stupid alderman as I see them. I don't think they appreciate it. lol
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
I can't find anyone to support in Tennessee. They are all dicks. I've found it beneficial attending some of the local town meetings as they attempt to force more taxes on our town. I have a large customer base. I remind the mayor and the stupid alderman as I see them. I don't think they appreciate it. lol

I know exactly what you're saying.

Everyone wanted me to support the pubbie for governor but he wussed out on Ă˜bamacare. I wrote impassioned letters to him and the "elites" and they flat ignored me. Not one of the MF'rs even had the common decency to reply to me.

I put heart & soul into the guy for state senate and then he turned around and double-crossed us on homo "marriage". I ran into him at the Veteran's Memorial and he asked for my vote. I laughed at him and said, "At least with dhimmicrats I know who my enemies are".

Our state Republican chair used to be my favorite radio talkshow host. He was the go-to guy. Now he thinks his shyt don't stink and won't engage with you unless you are a sycophant. F that! His latest regurgitation was the imbecilic "We lost because we didn't reach out to minorities". With "friends" like him who needs enemies (or enemas)?

All around me I see pubbies who want to be liked and thought well of and refuse to see that we are literally in a fight for our very lives. I'm prepared to be disappointed with this race but at least I'll be able to stand tall and say I tried.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »

I know exactly what you're saying.

Everyone wanted me to support the pubbie for governor but he wussed out on Ă˜bamacare. I wrote impassioned letters to him and the "elites" and they flat ignored me. Not one of the MF'rs even had the common decency to reply to me.

I put heart & soul into the guy for state senate and then he turned around and double-crossed us on homo "marriage". I ran into him at the Veteran's Memorial and he asked for my vote. I laughed at him and said, "At least with dhimmicrats I know who my enemies are".

Our state Republican chair used to be my favorite radio talkshow host. He was the go-to guy. Now he thinks his shyt don't stink and won't engage with you unless you are a sycophant. F that! His latest regurgitation was the imbecilic "We lost because we didn't reach out to minorities". With "friends" like him who needs enemies (or enemas)?

All around me I see pubbies who want to be liked and thought well of and refuse to see that we are literally in a fight for our very lives. I'm prepared to be disappointed with this race but at least I'll be able to stand tall and say I tried.

I'm beginning to use my customer base as a bully pulpit of sorts. Everyone wants to be liked. Be appreciated. It's human nature. It's took me a while to understand my local yokels only understand fear, not intimidation, but fear. I tried to use intimidation, but all I got was trouble for my business. To reason with them is a lost cause, because anything brought forward which may cause conflict ( like a tax increase) is eased on the calender with no fanfare. They don't want people showing up at their little open meetings. I've found it much better to use fear as the motivator. The local yokels can't understand why I ( my business) can be well thought of while their reputations take a beating. They are a slave to fear, pure and simple.

So now, change in tactics. Instead of reason as to how a tax increase about how a tax increase will affect business, causing loss of revenue and loss of tax dollar to the city ( they have no real business experience, economics is foreign to them, just raise taxes and all is well), it is much more effective to bring them information, like "you should hear the grumblings at my place over this proposed tax increase. My patrons are not happy". I have become a harbinger of fear.

The fearful are easy to manipulate.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »
Last week my candidate had a "meet~n~greet" hired a band (a little jazz trio) to add ambiance. He also approached my brother about helping him perform a parody song he had prepared for the event. Naturally my brother drafted me to back him up. It was corny but interesting.

Yesterday I went on sign patrol.

We're already into (campaign) sign wars. The opposition has been knocking down or stealing out signs. In true leftist form they then accused us of doing the same to them. Did I mention that both candidates are pubbies and that the opposing candidate was hand-picked by our pubbie mayor?

I had an interesting conversation with my brother about the new meaning of elites - as in GOP-e elites. He wasn't aware of the shift in definition and held that there have always been elites (using the standard dictionary definition of the term) and not recognizing the phenomenon of political insiders pulling strings and arranging the playing field for us instead of helping us arrange the playing field for ourselves.

It helped him understand some of the machinations that hizzoner is performing to (improperly) influence the election. I always knew duh mayor was a sh!theel.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
Last week my candidate had a "meet~n~greet" hired a band (a little jazz trio) to add ambiance. He also approached my brother about helping him perform a parody song he had prepared for the event. Naturally my brother drafted me to back him up. It was corny but interesting.

Yesterday I went on sign patrol.

We're already into (campaign) sign wars. The opposition has been knocking down or stealing out signs. In true leftist form they then accused us of doing the same to them. Did I mention that both candidates are pubbies and that the opposing candidate was hand-picked by our pubbie mayor?

I had an interesting conversation with my brother about the new meaning of elites - as in GOP-e elites. He wasn't aware of the shift in definition and held that there have always been elites (using the standard dictionary definition of the term) and not recognizing the phenomenon of political insiders pulling strings and arranging the playing field for us instead of helping us arrange the playing field for ourselves.

It helped him understand some of the machinations that hizzoner is performing to (improperly) influence the election. I always knew duh mayor was a sh!theel.

Apply some really tack glue to the signs and you'll catch the thieves at the hospital.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
We're not allowed to defend ourselves (by orders of the candidate).

Wants to "take the high road"..  ::gaah::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
We're not allowed to defend ourselves (by orders of the candidate).

Wants to "take the high road"..  ::gaah::

In other words, he hasn't any intention of playing for the win?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
I don't know what to tell ya (am I masking my frustration adequately?).

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »
Perhaps when the candidate isn't looking?   ::evilbat::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »
Well I do have a little electronic tracker and I'm thinking about sacrificing it to the cause. I'd love to catch the little bass turd and humiliate him.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Atta boy!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:13 PM »
Another campaign rally today.

I donated the use of my PA and played guitar for a meet~n~greet today. I'm getting too old to be packing all this gear around and setting up/tearing down and running all this equipment (plus performing).

My guy has a good ground game but there were several of us that were frustrated by the lack of interest/enthusiasm. It makes me seriously wonder how committed people are about their future. It's interesting to note that this is the third event my guy has hosted and I have yet to see anything from his competition.

Politics is weird - and not what I was led to believe.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »
Another campaign rally today.

I donated the use of my PA and played guitar for a meet~n~greet today. I'm getting too old to be packing all this gear around and setting up/tearing down and running all this equipment (plus performing).

My guy has a good ground game but there were several of us that were frustrated by the lack of interest/enthusiasm. It makes me seriously wonder how committed people are about their future. It's interesting to note that this is the third event my guy has hosted and I have yet to see anything from his competition.

Politics is weird - and not what I was led to believe.
Perhaps everyone is now aware of the election farce that is our most sacred institution/franchise. Suppose everyone knows elections don't matter anymore. Welcome to the USSR.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
I attended our district Republican party picnic today. Overall it was a nice affair - but kinda weird all the same. I got to rub elbows with a lot of the players in my state government - including two that I helped get elected. The reason for the picnic was (obviously) to drum up enthusiasm for the upcoming races. So we got burgers and potato salad and speeches from a bunch of Don Knotts looking guys who are running for the sewer commission and dog catcher.

For the most part every one of these guys are sincere and committed. I don't know how savvy any of them are. I sense "deer in the headlights" with several of them. All gave the right answers in their canned talks. I have no idea how any of them will be in the clinches.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
I attended our district Republican party picnic today. Overall it was a nice affair - but kinda weird all the same. I got to rub elbows with a lot of the players in my state government - including two that I helped get elected. The reason for the picnic was (obviously) to drum up enthusiasm for the upcoming races. So we got burgers and potato salad and speeches from a bunch of Don Knotts looking guys who are running for the sewer commission and dog catcher.

For the most part every one of these guys are sincere and committed. I don't know how savvy any of them are. I sense "deer in the headlights" with several of them. All gave the right answers in their canned talks. I have no idea how any of them will be in the clinches.

As it always is...

Even insiders to party machinations do not know how new candidates will fare, what unspoken agendas they may have...the perils of democracy - candidate selection and voting has largely turned into a crap shoot.