Author Topic: Ryan's Budget Seeks $4,000,000,000,000 in cuts. That's $4 TRILLION  (Read 1085 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
It won't get past the Senate. But holy sh*t, does it ever throw down the gauntlet.

Ryan’s budget plan to slash deficits by over $4 trillion

Rep. Paul Ryan, chairman of the House Budget committee, will propose fundamental reforms to Medicare and Medicaid in the GOP budget expected to be released Tuesday, implying in a Fox News Sunday interview that the deficit savings would exceed $4 trillion.

"We can't keep kicking this can down the road," Ryan said to Fox. "The president has punted. We're not going to follow suit."

He also said that the deficit reduction would exceed what President Obama’s fiscal commission proposed last year, which was $4 trillion.

Though we don’t have the actual GOP budget yet, prior CBO estimates provide us with some guidance on how much individual proposals could save.

On Medicaid, Ryan will propose to block grant the program to states, which would save money, allow it to grow at a predictable rate, and give governors more flexibility over how it is implemented. This is a popular option among many governors who are struggling with Medicaid costs, and it’s a proposal that has already attracted bipartisan support (at least intellectually speaking), as it was previously co-proposed with Alice Rivlin, the former Clinton budget director.

When it comes to Medicare, Ryan has previously proposed fundamentally reforming it to give retirees vouchers to purchase private insurance that would vary by income and health status. So, for instance, a poor and very sick beneficiary would receive a lot more than a very rich and healthy beneficiary. However, this reform would not kick in right away, as it only applies to those 55 and under. Thus, it would take time to produce savings and those wouldn’t show up in the CBO’s 10-year budget window.

Yet he and Rivlin also proposed changes to the formula for cost-sharing on supplemental Medicare insurance policies, which would affect near-term budgets.

Last November, the Congressional Budget Office did a preliminary analysis of the Ryan-Rivlin plan and found that the Medicaid and Medicare reforms, plus a change in medical malpractice law, would save $350 billion from 2011 through 2021.

Other possible ways to save money -- Ryan has supported the repeal of the national health care law. Were he simply to propose a repeal of the bill’s Medicaid expansion, which would add 18 million to the program’s rolls by 2021, it would save $674 billion from 2012 to 2021, according to CBO.

The Ryan proposal is also expected to cap discretionary spending as well as cap spending as a percentage of GDP.

When President Obama ignored the proposals of his own fiscal commission, it was an indication that he had chosen politics over leadership. That is, it was more important for him to goad Republicans into proposing entitlement reform so Democrats could attack them for it, then it was for him to try and actually address the nation’s challenges. Evidently, Ryan has decided to take the opposite approach.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Ryan's Budget Seeks $4,000,000,000,000 in cuts. That's $4 TRILLION
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
I like the idea of emphasizing the portions that were proposed by Dumbo's own "deficit commission". I think that verbiage should be included every time the subject is discussed. Nothing too on the nose, just prefatory things like "One clever proposal in the deficit commission's report was..."

We all knew that commission was a smokescreen from the very beginning, I just like the idea of lobbing that grenade back at them and reminding them that they had forgotten to pull the pin out.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »
 I look forward to the new Blue Ribbon Panel to review what the Old Blue Ribbon Panel did.That should take us to 2019.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »

Ryan and Rubio, going rogue today or is leadership floating a trial balloon?

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:26:33 AM »
Democrats and the far left describe this and other proposals like it as "extreme'' or "radical" . And yet they refuse to admit that extreme and radical spending is what brought us to this sorry state of affairs . They live in  "Candyland" and the very idea of bringing them into any state of mind approaching reality is utterly hopeless .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »
I love this, from the simple standpoint that Ryan and his supporters can stand back and say "This is our plan that tackles the hard issues, what besides high taxation of grotesque spending do you have to offer the American people"!

!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:14 AM »
... They live in  "Candyland" and the very idea of bringing them into any state of mind approaching reality is utterly hopeless .

The Candyland Anthem:

the candy man can