Author Topic: Book Review: "Essential Liberty" (It's about gun confiscation)  (Read 1476 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Saw this via AOS ONT and clicked through to the PJ Media article...

What if the federal government decided to confiscate all civilian firearms? Would you surrender your guns? Would your friends and neighbors turn you in? Do enough Americans remain who are willing to risk their lives resisting disarmament? Would the military support the government, or the people, or both?

What if the Supreme Court rules disarmament is constitutional? Would sheriffs who previously swore to resist unconstitutional firearms laws decide to support disarmament after such a ruling?

The issue these days isn’t that the Supreme Court affirmed Second Amendment principles in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago, but that four of nine justices dissented. Similarly, the Manchin-Toomey amendment to expand background checks didn’t advance — but 54 senators voted for it. If those opposing the civil right of self-defense elect just a few more representatives and senators, or replace one more Supreme Court justice, the Second Amendment’s “official” interpretation could drastically change; the questions above would no longer be academic.

The novel Essential Liberty serves as scenario training, just like tactical pistol classes help people acquire the skills to survive a potentially lethal attack. Like tactical training, Essential Liberty takes today’s news and political climate and moves them just a little farther into a possible future.

It doesn't sound like a great read, you know...a Vince Flynn type of novel...but it sounds like an okay read and, as its author says is its purpose, one that is designed to prepare people mentally for what may now be only a matter of time. I think I will probably buy it.

Kindle edition is here and it's $7. It is highly rated by 98 customers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:19:54 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Book Review: "Essential Liberty" (It's about gun confiscation)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:39:59 AM »
Sounds like something to be shared with those who are skeptical that our principled, ethical and highly moral government could ever do anything so dastardly.  Me, I need no additional convincing.  As with all things though, finding open-minded people willing to open their eyes is going to be difficult, but even a few more added to the good side is better than nothing.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
Link fixed. Thanks.

The reviewer states this toward the end:

Some of the moralizing likely reduces the book’s effectiveness as outreach to those not already Second Amendment supporters.

I don't think that the book is going to convert those who currently disagree with the 2nd Amendment and I don't believe that that is the author's purpose. It might have some effect on people who are in the middle of that debate. Maybe. Probably not but you never know. The book's author says this:

My primary purpose in writing Essential Liberty (besides wanting to write a thriller that — by definition — entertains) was to reach those already on “our” side who take liberty for granted, who don’t pay enough attention, and who refuse to consider the possibility that a scenario like this could happen. I wanted to address complacency within our ranks more than to win over the undecided.

So it's really more about reminding patriots about liberty in general rather than gun rights in particular. It uses the loss of gun rights as a plot device to achieve that purpose.

And that is the reason that I am going to read it. To see how well it accomplishes that goal. Plus it might be a good read, too.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
In other words, it's trying to prepare defenders of liberty for the possibility that they may have to kill and be killed in a fight for freedom. It's a subject that does need to be broached, and I think fictionalized scenarios are a good way of doing it.

The heavy weight of that reality has definitely made itself obvious in the past several years, as we've come to see that a lot of things we might have suspected about the intentions of the Ruling Class are indeed true, and as the brazenness and speed with which they've pursued their agenda has been ratcheted up considerably.

I've considered the same basic premise of the book myself. Will people comply with such edicts under the "live to fight another day" reasoning, or just out of sheer self-preservation? I worry that a substantial number will, a majority most likely, and that doing so would be a grave mistake and they need to digest the implications of it right now while it's still in the realm of fiction. At that point there will be no "another day" because the existence that awaits you is one of pure serfdom and subjugation.  Think Solzhenitsyn and the "how we burned in the camps later" quote.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
In other words, it's trying to prepare defenders of liberty for the possibility that they may have to kill and be killed in a fight for freedom. It's a subject that does need to be broached, and I think fictionalized scenarios are a good way of doing it.

Yep, bingo.

Consider also this quote from the author:

“I have NO confidence whatsoever that some sort of gun registry doesn’t already exist, in light of the NSA revelation, IRS revelation, AP wiretap revelation, etc.”

And I have no such confidence, either. I used to.

Not anymore. They know who has the guns and at some point they will come to get them. They already are in California.

I have already considered the possibilities and have determined that I will not surrender because such a world will not be worth living in. Not to mention that surrendering will be the ultimate insult to the countless patriots who have made the ultimate sacrifice to secure our rights. Surrendering those rights is just not an option for me.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
Boating accident.   ;)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
Boating accident.   ;)

So tragic. The same happened to me.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
It amazes me how common these boating accidents are.

The government needs to do more to keep us safe from these tragic events.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
Stuff happens.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson