Author Topic: Campaign 2010: Christine O’Donnell told her tax records were breached  (Read 1100 times)

RickZ

I'm really tired of this rigged election game and honestly do not want to play anymore, not with votes.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/17/former-gop-senate-candidate-christine-odonnell-tol/

Former GOP Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell told her tax records were breached

More than two years after her upstart Senate campaign rocked the Delaware political world, Christine O'Donnell got an unexpected contact from a U.S. Treasury Department agent warning that her private tax records may have been breached.

The phone message earlier this year shocked the battled-scarred candidate, a tea party favorite who knocked off Republican mainstay Michael Castle in the primary before losing in a bid to win Vice President Joseph R. Biden’s former seat.

“Ms. O'Donnell, this is Dennis Martel, special agent with the U.S. Department of Treasury in Baltimore, Md. … We received information that your personal federal tax info may have been compromised and may have been misused by an individual,” he said in the January message left on her cellphone.

For Ms. O'Donnell, the message immediately raised red flags.

On March 9, 2010, the day she revealed her plan to run for the Senate in a press release, a tax lien was placed on a house purported to be hers and publicized. The problem was she no longer owned the house. The IRS eventually blamed the lien on a computer glitch and withdrew it.

Now Mr. Martel, a criminal investigator for the Treasury Department’s inspector general for tax administration, was telling her that an official in Delaware state government had improperly accessed her records on that very same day.

Beyond that, Ms. O'Donnell and Senate investigators who have tried to help her have run into a wall of silence, leaving more questions than answers about whether abuses of the IRS system extend to private individuals and not just the tax-exempt groups already identified as victims.

--SNIP--

I don’t know. And I’d like to know,” Ms. O’Donnell told The Washington Times in her first interview about the case. “Because whether it’s one, eight or 80 [cases], it’s an abuse of power at the IRS. It’s using the IRS as a political weapon, and that shouldn’t be done.”Ms. O'Donnell has spent the past six months trying to find out more about what happened to her personally, with little success.

Investigators have told her the probe has been closed, without offering an explanation. Ms. O'Donnell’s attempts to get records about the possible misuse of her tax files through Freedom of Information Act requests have been delayed or denied.

--SNIP--

Beyond that, all Mr. Martel told Ms. O'Donnell was that the man had no legitimate reason to access her records and that investigators had seen other instances like hers in which tax privacy had been breached.

Even before she got the message, the IRS was a sore subject for Ms. O'Donnell and her family.

She fought through a three-year audit into her personal finances that ended with her repaying $1,100 to the federal government. Family and friends also were subjected to audits, though they were cleared, she said.

She had been warned that such events were possible.

As she was considering a Senate run, Ms. O'Donnell said she was told by a prominent political figure in Delaware that if she challenged Mr. Castle, the IRS and others would “F with her head.”

Ms. O'Donnell said she has reason to believe her political opponents were behind the scheme.

“An official with this investigation told me that there was evidence linking this inappropriate use of my tax records with the Delaware political leadership, Delaware political leaders on both sides of the aisle,” she said, though she declined to identify the official with whom she spoke

--SNIP--

In the midst of the 2010 campaign, long before it was revealed that her tax information had been accessed, Ms. O'Donnell’s financial life was a subject of intense media scrutiny and was used repeatedly by her enemies.

Republican Party heavyweight Karl Rove, who was an adviser to President George W. Bush, was among the critics who blasted Ms. O'Donnell for, among other things, falling behind on her mortgage.

The worst part of this shyt, per the IRS, is that the IRS employee who did the dirty deed has taxpayer privacy rights on his side.  Help!  I've fallen down the rabbit hole only to end up in another dimension.

I'm sure the racist messaging of the media in the St. Trayvon of the Skittles case will prevent them from looking into these new allegations of IRS abuse.  "We just don't have enough time in a day to cover such trivial matters of no import to anyone!  Besides RACIST!"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
So we now know beyond any shred of doubt that the IRS is being weaponized selectively against Americans who do not support Leftism.

There is a new bar for the GOP. Nothing short of full-throated demands for the abolition of the IRS will garner my support for federal officeholders. This should be a no-brainer for any serious conservative Republican.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

IDP, the IRS is NOT being weaponized, it already IS weaponized.  Don't forget Reid calling Romney a tax cheat, and that confidential info on Romney's return was leaked by Austin Goolsbee.

2008 and 2012 were rife with vote fraud, 2012 more so because of the 2010 massacre.

Now we know why Obama was so insouciant about his mediocre debate performances against Romney:  The rigged game was in the bag and Obama knew it.  When you have over 100% voting in many precincts, coupled with the IRS being used to harass political opponents of the progressive agenda, there really aren't that many hills left on which to die.  We're at the precipice of having two stark options:  Die fighting on our feet or be slaves to Big Government on our knees.  Now throw in the race riots Obama and the media are fomenting and we have a Balkan powder keg on our hands.  The fuse is already lit, by the Government.  The question now is what are we going to do about it?   Run and hide?  Or take the progressives/communists head on, Fate be damned?

Our Forefathers would be reloading by now.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
That the Federal and State bureaucracies are weaponized is not really even the story here, because we all know they are. The story is that this abuse of Ms. O'Donnell probably originated from the Republican establishment, or is at least as likely as the Democrats.

I will not ever forget that TPOS Karl Rove running her into the dirt literally before she had even made her victory speech in the Republican primary. You know, so what if she wasn't your preferred candidate? She just won the primary in a fair election, so help her beat the Democrats. Same with Joe Miller in Alaska. For years and years the conservative base of the party was lectured about getting behind the establishment's milquetoast candidates, and we always did. But the very second roles are reversed they can't get their long knives out fast enough.

I will continue to support individual politicians who are worthy of respect, and at this point I consider it mere coincidence if they have a (R) after their name. People like Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Mike Lee, etc. But my days of supporting "the party" are long over.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Never forgive, never forget.  Not playing their game anymore.  I am following the Founders template, those in opposition to that in word or deed will be crushed.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Never forgive, never forget.  Not playing their game anymore.  I am following the Founders template, those in opposition to that in word or deed will be crushed.

I will continue to support individual politicians who are worthy of respect, and at this point I consider it mere coincidence if they have a (R) after their name. People like Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Mike Lee, etc. But my days of supporting "the party" are long over.

I couldn't agree more. I am done with the Republican party as a party, as an institution. I will support individual candidates who I agree with and that is it.

Actually, my disagreement with the Republican party started years ago with the last big amnesty push. I resigned from my position within my county's Republican central committee and have refused appeals to return.

And I did not think it was possible to be any more dismayed with the party than I already am.

But then there was Rubio. And Cantor. And Boehner. And Ayotte. And so many others.

Screw them all.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
I am not a republican. I am a conservative.

I got to deliver this message to my local state rep a few days ago. Fairly conservative guy, but was supporting LAMAR! alexander. He wouldn't say it, but the message was clear....You don't support the "in" guy, you get no support yourself. I suggested, if he is not willing to be part of the solution, he will become part of the problem. I also suggested he stand on principles, even if it meant leaving politics.

I'm tired of this crap.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

I keep telling people the same thing. At least the ones that will listen and comprehend....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero

I keep telling people the same thing. At least the ones that will listen and comprehend....

They cannot comprehend. One of my closest friends swears he is conservative......While telling me I have no right to own certain firearms.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
I am a believer in Judeo-Christian principles as developed and defined by the great thinkers, writers and leaders/people of the western world. I think that encompasses the Bible and the Constitution.

Doesn't exactly fit on a bumper sticker though.

(It occurred to me that while handy, labeling myself as a conservative, allows others to attempt to manipulate my support. And I'm tired of being manipulated.)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders

They cannot comprehend. One of my closest friends swears he is conservative......While telling me I have no right to own certain firearms.

The problem Don (IMHO) is that there is no litmus test for "conservative". I know of many who hold very moderate to leftist views (mostly of the sociological nature) but are offended when I call them a moderate. I know people who vote conservative (mainly because of peer-pressure) but hold leftist views. And surprisingly enough I know several who self-identify as "progressive" but hold views that are border-conservative.

I consider myself a Student of Conservatism. I'm like the guy in the car that has "Student Driver" on the roof. The reason why I say that is because I don't simply accept a POV because it is considered a "conservative view"  but rather because I have contemplated and studied it to see whether or not it aligns with other conservative views. I make sure it passes the "think-test".

Post-modern liberalism (or progressivism and they prefer nowadays) is a faith-based cult. They accept their tenets as articles of faith. They rarely think things through (ouch - that hurt!). Leftism is the lazy man's ideology.