Author Topic: Vince Flynn  (Read 1978 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Vince Flynn
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »
Prolific Author Vince Flynn Reportedly Dead at 47

This one is seriously a bummer as I'm a huge fan of his books.  In my mind, he replaced Tom Clancy when Clancy entered his Fat Elvis stage. 

RIP.  One of the truly great ones who left at way too young of age.  :'(

::USA::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Vince Flynn
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
I am crushed and I mean that. What an incredible talent he was.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
Way too young, was a frequent guest on local radio, St.Paul guy, a real class guy, upbeat and honest.  Liked his books too, Mitch Rapp character was dang good. 

::praying::

Prayers to his wife and three kids...their loss is Heaven's gain.

R.I.P. Vince.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »
I downloaded I heart radio just to get a hoped for Rush eulogy.  Rush isn't disappointing.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
as of 7/25/13 from Vince Flynn's publisher:

The Survivor, Vince Flynn’s planned release this fall, is being postponed indefinitely. Vince had not yet completed the manuscript at the time of his passing last month. The reason it is “postponed indefinitely” as opposed to “canceled” is because it is too soon to know how much of the book was written or if Vince had plans or provisions in place in the event that he could not complete the book. As for Vince’s collaboration with Brian Haig, while it is still available for preorder, for the same reasons above, we ask for your patience concerning its publication.
link
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the update LV, hopefully the right choice is made...I would rather see nothing printed if it has to be cobbled together to finish and end up with a sub-par tome.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »
  Even thought I'm not familiar with his work  all I can say is that nobody should die at 47. Prayers for the family.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
I can't believe he wouldn't have an outline laying around.  If he did, I can see someone finishing it.

Heck that's what most do when they hit the fat Elvis stage of their careers, anyway.  Write an outline, have someone else flesh out the story.

Tom Clancy with Joe Nobody Presents...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
I can't believe he wouldn't have an outline laying around.  If he did, I can see someone finishing it.

Heck that's what most do when they hit the fat Elvis stage of their careers, anyway.  Write an outline, have someone else flesh out the story.

Tom Clancy with Joe Nobody Presents...

That sucks...hate it when they do that...

Avoid Fat Elvis!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
It only works when an author has a big series going, and they know they're dying.  Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time comes to mind.  He was dying, but he wrote out an extensive outline of how he wanted the series to conclude.   Someone named Brandon Sanderson wrote the final 3 books, and from reviews I've read, did a bang up job.

But just to essentially rent out your name because you're not too lazy to write nothing but an outline?  Lame.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »
It only works when an author has a big series going, and they know they're dying.  Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time comes to mind.  He was dying, but he wrote out an extensive outline of how he wanted the series to conclude.   Someone named Brandon Sanderson wrote the final 3 books, and from reviews I've read, did a bang up job.

But just to essentially rent out your name because you're not too lazy to write nothing but an outline?  Lame.

James Patterson comes to mind.  I don't know what he puts into his books but he has (usually) a different co-author on each book.  I read a few years ago he signed a multimillion dollar contract to put out so many books over X number of years.  It worked out to 2, maybe 3 a year. Got to hand it to the guy he figured out how not to be a "poor" writer.  But I read one of his books and won't read any more. But obviously others aren't so picky.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."