Author Topic: Beyond Belief  (Read 1080 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Beyond Belief
« on: June 21, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
This is a book by Deborah Lipstadt.
I haven't read it yet but my daughter is reading it. The subtitle is the American press and the coming of the Holocaust 1933-1945.

I bring it up because she keeps telling me that what this writer uncovered is happening today. Basically, the press knew what was happening in Germany and didn't report it or they downplayed it--their actions and where and when and how they printed stories shaped the news. For example,the "Stop Hitler" rallies in the US which were to publicize what Hitler was doing to the Jews was ignored by NBC, CBS, etc.  Other times they buried the story in a small paragraph somewhere inside the paper. Because of the press' action many people had a hard time actually believing what went on in Europe at the time when they did get some information.

There's a section about how certain acts of violence were characterized as youthful acts of misbehavior.  Reminded us of the characterization of young thugs overrunning retail establishments etc today in places like Chicago. The press is using the same tactics described in the book. People think they're so smart and they don't realize how they're manipulated.

Anyway, I plan on reading it. Thought someone else might be interested.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Beyond Belief
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, LV.  We're already living out "Atlas Shrugged", might as well see what other history is currently stuttering.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »
There's a section about how certain acts of violence were characterized as youthful acts of misbehavior.  Reminded us of the characterization of young thugs overrunning retail establishments etc today in places like Chicago.

This INFURIATES me. The so-called "flash mobs" being characterized as "youths", or thugs beating people to a pulp being characterized as the "knock-out game".

The full-on effort of the media to cleanse minorities of guilt and free them of responsibility for crime is only going to result in dead minorities.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »
Yes, and the annual car-be-que they have in places like Paris every summer is always described as "youths", as if it's nothing more than teenage hijinks. They totally and deliberately obfuscate the fact that it's Muslims flexing their cultural imperialism by making entire zones of Western capitols off limits to the native inhabitants. 
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly