Author Topic: Tofu diet causes brain atrophy and cognitive impairment  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Tofu diet causes brain atrophy and cognitive impairment
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
H/T: Small Dead Animals

Well that helps explains liberals, just another little tantalizing piece of that particular puzzle.

Objective: To examine associations of midlife tofu consumption with brain function and structural changes in late life.

Methods: The design utilized surviving participants of a longitudinal study established in 1965 for research on heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Information on consumption of selected foods was available from standardized interviews conducted 1965–1967 and 1971–1974. A 4-level composite intake index defined “low-low” consumption as fewer than two servings of tofu per week in 1965 and no tofu in the prior week in 1971. Men who reported two or more servings per week at both interviews were defined as “high-high” consumers. Intermediate or less consistent “low” and “high” consumption levels were also defined. Cognitive functioning was tested at the 1991–1993 examination, when participants were aged 71 to 93 years (n=3734). Brain atrophy was assessed using neuroimage (n=574) and autopsy (n=290) information. Cognitive function data were also analyzed for wives of a sample of study participants (n=502) who had been living with the participants at the time of their dietary interviews.

Results: Poor cognitive test performance, enlargement of ventricles and low brain weight were each significantly and independently associated with higher midlife tofu consumption. A similar association of midlife tofu intake with poor late life cognitive test scores was also observed among wives of cohort members, using the husband’s answers to food frequency questions as proxy for the wife’s consumption. Statistically significant associations were consistently demonstrated in linear and logistic multivariate regression models. Odds ratios comparing endpoints among “high-high” with “low-low” consumers were mostly in the range of 1.6 to 2.0.

Conclusions: In this population, higher midlife tofu consumption was independently associated with indicators of cognitive impairment and brain atrophy in late life.

Geez, those with high tofu consumption were up to twice as likely to have low cognitive performance. That tofu stuff really messes you up!

The elevated prevalence of cognitive impairment we observed in the highest compared with the lowest midlife consumers of tofu was roughly of the magnitude as would be caused by a four year difference in age or a three year difference in education. In this study population, 20% to 25% of the burden of cognitive impairment appears attributable to midlife tofu consumption—an effect size of enormous public health importance, yet not readily discernable in comparisons across populations of diverse education, occupation, age distribution and genetic composition, especially when studied using different methods.

http://digressionality.blogspot.ca/2013/05/dont-eat-tofu-if-you-want-functioning.html
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Tofu diet causes brain atrophy and cognitive impairment
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
You'd have cognitive impairment too if you were spending all your time thinking about getting some real food!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

Postulating, people who consume enough tofu to rot their brains may
be part of a subculture that would pursue a lifestyle that would cause
brain rot tofu or not.
[blockquote]
Tofu, also called bean curd, is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in many East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines.[3][4] There are many different varieties of tofu, including fresh tofu and tofu that has been processed in some way. Tofu has a subtle flavor and can be used in savory and sweet dishes. It is often seasoned or marinated to suit the dish.[/blockquote]
Yech.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Phytoestrogens.  Can you say "man-boobs"?

Man's brain needs Vitamin B's.  MEATTTT.   Supplements don't cut it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
It's obvious...We need a ban on tofu. Sumbody call Bloomberg.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »
Bloomberg cannot be reached, he's grazing on tofu at some swank NYC eatery with all his gun-grabbing cronies...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »
I knew there was a reason I hate tofu, other than the taste, texture, smell, etc.
Eschew Obfuscation